K 1300s vibrations - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2020, 8:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K 1300s vibrations

Hello everyone. I got that beautiful bike about a month ago. It has always been my dream bike. It's 2011.2500 miles on it.almost nothing. I took it for a first ride today. Have to say, I'm a little confused and disappointed...Before i took it for a test drive ,it was showing low oil through the tube...i was surprised when i first saw that for the first time i got the bike home..when i bought it from a guy who sold it to me, the bike was already running when I got there.did not notice any warning lights, nothing on dashboard was suspicious.everything looked great, so i bought it. Bike is in pristine condition. I had the guy bring it to my house, when I was not home. He brought the bike in uhaul trailer. All good. He put it on centre stand and left.when i got home and started it, it was showing a few flashing lights, but after a couple of starts all of them dissapeared. Except low oil level through the tube. I topped it up before first ride today. It took almost 3/4 litter.i have to say I've never ridden k1300s before. First thing I noticed it started feeling vibrations around 5500 rpm.it was felt through the entire bike.seat,handlebars, footpegs. I was shocked. Didn't expect that at all. A few years back i had k1200 gt.there was nothing like that. Smooth as butter. K1300s was nothing like that. When i got on a highway the vibrations disappeared at faster speeds, but lower rpm is no good. Love that bike, but I'm concerned. Is it something that's normal for that bike, or i got a problem?? I did maybe 30 miles today. I would like to keep it, but i don't know if my bike is ok.another thing. Now oil level shows way above maximum level!!!what is going on??i topped it up way before max level, but above minimum before I took it for a ride. Engine cooled off already ,and the oil level is still too high!what's going on?very fast and comfortable and I'd like to keep it. Please any advice as to what might be a problem, or is it normal?i also have Yamaha xsr 900,and that thing vibrates a little above 120km/h,but nothing like bmw at 5500rpm.i can hear my exhaust shield making noise it is so bad. Sorry for the long post, but i need some help from the experts pls.thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:25 am
Rookie

Gizu,

There are some guys on here that know way more about this than I do. Here are my thoughts. I have had trials with the oil level readings on the tube also. I use the the dipstick under the seat with the bike on level ground on the center stand. The manual I believe states to check the bike on level ground and read the tube. However, I find that the tube reads most correctly when I have it on the side stand. Someone else can comment on this and their experiences.
There should be no vibrations in the engine. Mine is smooth as glass. The transmission is clunky, especially in first and second. I have a 2006 K1200S. Does the engine vibrate with the bike sitting still while you rev it to riding speed? Is the vibration only while the bike is moving? If so it could be wheels, drive shaft, etc.

du907
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:53 pm

Well, welcome. Sorry for the troubles. Diagnosing a K bike is a trick that takes a lot of information to narrow things down. I suggest you open your wallet and have a dealer take a look. There are a lot of things but looking at the computer for faults with a reading tool will help narrow things down. It will give you a base to work from and they may find something quickly. I often get slammed for this suggestion as it is simplistic but running a good dose of Sea Foam in the gas tank will clean up your injectors and may help.
Your oil is supposed to be checked a few minutes after warming up the bike and shutting down. There is a lot of airspace in the oil tank for foam to settle down so you can cheat some with quality oil and over fill it. Stuff like last valve check and spark plug change is good to know. And keep in mind, this bike is not that easy to work on unless you have some ability and a fair selection of tools.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 12:15 am
Rookie

The k12/13 has a pair of balancing shafts which are gear driven off of the crankshaft. These are easily adjusted as per the diagram attached. There may be a simpler solution to your vibration issue to try first
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balancing shafts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	26353  

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 1:12 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
Well, welcome. Sorry for the troubles. ......Your oil is supposed to be checked a few minutes after warming up the bike and shutting down........ .
Beech is right You should fill the bike with the required amount of oil and then run it for 20 sec, switch it off and check the oil tube. Bear in mind that there are two different size oil reservoirs. One is 3.5 litres and the other 4litres. The 4litre tank has that size specified on the top of it while the 3 litre has nothing

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode