2012 K1300S won't start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2020, 9:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

2012 K1300S won't start

Hi All,

I bought this pristine condition bike last year May. Never used it in rough weather and always lived in a garage. It was sleeping through winter - since November -, the battery was charged on a weekly basis. When I tried to start it in March, it won't start, when I turn the key the pre-ride checks are not happening, only the headlight comes up and the indicators are working. When try to start the bike, nothing is happening - please see the below video:

Also the fuel level on the dash doesn't show anything, even the tank is full. The bike is still under warranty, however due to the Covid-19 pandemic no services are open, so I need to wait for better times. (Road side assistance came out, but couldn't fix it - well the guy was definitely not a technician, he didn't even know where the battery was on the bike). I've tried with 2 different batteries, so the battery is (probably) not a problem.

What could be the problem and what can I try to sort this out without losing the warranty? I read this thread it could be the starter switch - but that seems to be the problem with 'older' bikes.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2020, 1:58 am
Addict

Mine has done that several times, once the fuel pump was bad, Another time I cranked it for several days and it would not start, however back into the garage a week later and it started right up. Normally when a bike is flowed you can smell the gas but these two times I didn't. So making a educated guess the pump was stuck. It's that dam ethanol gas, BMW many years back had stalling issues any they recommended putting the stuff that Chevron Fuel cleaner that is supposed to do the trick. So I have starting 2 twice a week now.

Good Luck and see and if you smell gas it's flooded and if you don't it the pump.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2020, 1:32 am

Garage
Get a multimeter, hold it on to the + and — pole of the battery.
Turn the key, and observe the voltage drop.
If it goes below 8.5v the BMSK (engine controller) wont activate the fuel pump.

Also, the self check of the instrument cluster wont happen if the „engine cut switch“ is engaged....

Your ABS is also not flashing which it wont if the engine cut switch is engaged.

In your case, i would be leaning towards the switch on your handlebar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2020, 7:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the replies. The emergency services took the bike now for service and they confirmed it is the faulty starter switch, which will be replaced under warranty. I expected a better quality from BMW, I had couple BMW cars (from the 80s and 90s) and I never had problems with those. This is technically a new bike and already developed a fault. Yes, it is fixed under warranty, but I am still a little bit upset about it. I am still waiting for the bike to delivered back to me, hopefully that will happen soon.

Thanks for the replies again,

Kind Regards,

Steven
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2020, 8:47 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwkthirteenhundreds View Post
Thanks for the replies. The emergency services took the bike now for service and they confirmed it is the faulty starter switch, which will be replaced under warranty. I expected a better quality from BMW, I had couple BMW cars (from the 80s and 90s) and I never had problems with those. This is technically a new bike and already developed a fault. Yes, it is fixed under warranty, but I am still a little bit upset about it. I am still waiting for the bike to delivered back to me, hopefully that will happen soon.

Thanks for the replies again,

Kind Regards,

Steven
When you say, "technically a new bike" what does that mean? BMW motorcycles are not without their issues but general build quality is quite good and they tend to be very reliable machines. If you would provide more background on the bike this forum can help you anticipate issues that are likely to develop. Try to highlight service history, use, and storage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode