Drive Train Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2020, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Drive Train Question

While I have owned my 2006 K1200S for nearly a year, I have only put about 800 miles on it. Limited time on the bike due to several factors (need new hip, have two other bikes, winter weather).

My question: when I bought the bike, the previous owner make me aware of the squeal/grinding noise coming from the drive train (during take off from a stop) and said that it is nothing to worry about, that it is typical of these bikes. While that seems to be the case, I wanted to run that by you guys. What is causing this noise? Is it a big problem? What is the solution and (of course), is it going to cost big $ to fix?

Thanks,

Bone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2020, 5:55 pm

The drive train runs from the gearbox to the final drive. Where is the noise coming from. The sound you describe sounds like the clutch which suffers from a lack of oil. The noise is most prevalent on take off as you let the clutch out. It is something to worry about as some of the plates run dry and wear out very quickly. Also the earlier bikes had clutch basket issues. In Australia there was a factory recall on the clutch basket and lamellar pack to fix this issue. Look up sharealike1 on YouTube for a comprehensive rundown.
Here’s a start

Also check out this thread on this forum
https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/91-k1...ch-mods-5.html

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain

Last edited by Capt howdy; Apr 22nd, 2020 at 12:00 am.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 12:19 am
Enthusiast

Be sure to use 5W40 motorcycle oil. The thinner oil may help and was called for by BMW after a year or so. The throw out bearing in this clutch is big and strong. Keep the bike in gear at stop lights, keeps plates open for more oil. Also Start the bike in first gear with clutch in of course, warm up for 15 seconds and go. My K bike never runs in neutral, ever. Ride your baby more, its is fun and is the serious hot rod of the bunch. Nasty idle, hard to ride in town compared to a K13. All that stuff. And, don't forget to do a full throttle session once and a while to remind yourself what you are riding.
If you did not service all the fluids on purchase, now is the time to do all of them; brake fluid, final drive gear lube (only 180ml) and engine oil. Lube your shift linkage ball joints, hand lever pivot bolts, fuel tank lid hinge, key. Check your tires to make sure they are not older than 5 years. If you plan to do your own work but the BMW service DVD.
flyingkiwi likes this.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode