Thinking of selling FJR in favor of K1300s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MAXdB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2020, 6:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thinking of selling FJR in favor of K1300s

Hello K owners, I currently own a 2002 FJR since August, drove it from Machester back home to Prague for the sole long ride.
I owned a triumph speed triple for 6 years, which I toured all over the US, and parts of Europe until it got stolen.
I have not tried a K series bike, but they look like they tick the boxes on paper.
The FJR feels a bit heavy at slow speed, great once it moves and a bit unresponsive in turns.
The biggest issue I have is the seating position, I never feel truly in control with how upright it is.
It has plenty of power, good wind protection and plenty of fuel, not mention the tranny is smooth and shaft drive is great.

I primarily use my bike for tours around Europe and occasional drives around town and on the weekends here in Czcehia.
The K13s appeals to me because it seems like a good distance tourer with riders reporting it being comfortable even with the sporty riding position. I am aware that it has a longer wheel base and it isn't all that nimble either, but the geometry seems more stuitable to my needs on paper.

I have a chance to scoop up a 2010 or 2011 triumph sprint GT.

Would you lot hold onto the feejer? get the K13s or the GT or go off the board with something else all together?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2020, 10:04 pm
Noob

Sometimes I feel critical of my K1300S, that it's so big and heavy. Then I get on it and ride it, and it handles like it's on rails, reads my mind and drives itself, and I remember why I love it.

Last summer I was feeling down on it, thinking maybe I need something new, so I went to the dealer and tried three bikes. A GS, an R1200RS and an S1000XR. Didn't like any of them. Didn't make me feel confident. Suspensions too soft. Steering too sloppy. Now that I'm accustomed to the duolever fork, regular bikes terrify me with the spongy feel in the front. K1300S is an awesome bike. I've modded it with riser plates on the rear for sharper steering and Helibars for better reach, and the ergos are perfect.

Sometimes I wish it was 7/8 scale, 100 lbs lighter and had a high-revving 1000cc 6-cylinder and belt drive, but that's a fantasy, in real life I haven't ridden any bike I like more, ever.
Capt howdy likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2020, 11:32 pm
Enthusiast

I have owned a K1200S and now a K1300S bike. 4 Friends have had or own FJR's. The Yamaha is a good dependable bike. Two of the people previously owned K1300GT bikes which are really a pain, or at least can be. The guy never could get his to run right so the both sold them and bought FJR's and never looked back. The K bike is a rocket, plenty of low end power that the FJR lacks. You can take it up to 165 and nail the brakes and no fuss. It is not a city bike. It is for going somewhere. The side bags suck. I use them for small stuff and use an Ortlieb duffel for the rest of my items. Fuel mileage on the BMW is far better and the bike is lighter by a hundred pounds. I get 50 mpg average on my k bike. Drops to 46 if I cruise at 80 mph. Every bike, you need to get saddle broken to but after 15 years riding a new series K bike it is where I feel comfortable. Just passing 122,000 miles on the K13 and it is wonderful. You should be prepared for maintenance costs if you do not do your own work. Valves are stable so unless you bounce off the rev limiter regularly you can go twice the maintenance interval on valve checks if you like. Of course I have done a lot of maintenance to it. Two critical things that have helped are a Hot start wiring kit from BMW to help with the small diameter wire circuit for starting and a intake air temperature fooling device called a "booster plug" from the Netherlands. Lots of discussion about the nature of fooling the computer with this but for 10 years it has worked wonders on driveability. The K bike was worked over by an English engineering company to cure the faults in the K12S. They did a good job. Of course there are problems but a little work fixes most issues. If I ever blow up my K bike, I'd look for another. Also you will need to find a friend with a tire changer. I get about 4500 miles out of a set of tires. Pretty much average for high HP bikes.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2020, 4:13 pm
Enthusiast

What did you decide?

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2020, 2:26 pm
Rookie

Totally

agree with Beech. The FJR and the K are both sports tourers, but at completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

I ran an FJ 1200 for a decade. I’m sure the FJR is a great continent crusher but compared to the K, it will feel like a bus. The K is a very different beast. You’ll need deep pckets at service time, but it’s well worth the cost. Nothing comes close IMHO, and I do hope you go for the Bavarian rocket ship.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:03 pm
Noob

FJR vs K bike

Rode many FJR's on a rental basis and did love those bikes. Very comfortable, easy to ride and certainly fast enough (did my highest ever speed on one with my wife on the back). Almost bought one, then a K1200 with almost no mileage showed up and I bought that one. Never regretted it. A very different experience: faster acceleration, wilder gut feeling but not as comfortable as the FJR. Needed helibars for my short arms and the windshield is much shorter, hence more air in the face. Also really needs the "booster plug" or equivalent to smooth out throttle transitions.The FJR does handle quite well for its size, but the K bike is on rails. You need to test ride one, at some length, before you make your decision. The Yamaha is probably more comfortable for long distances, but the K bike's excitement level if off the charts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode