'05 K1200s - should I look or walk away? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2020, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
'05 K1200s - should I look or walk away?

Second or third owner. 37k miles. Excellent condition in photo. Current owner is a friend of a good friend has legitimate and serious personal reasons for selling. No quickshift or bags. Can't tell from photos if it has ABS/handwarmers or ESA. It reportedly runs excellent. Has new tires and battery. Seller reports she does not have previous owners service history, but "he was fanatical about maintenance" - (weird how that's the response from anyone selling a motorcycle without detailed maintenance history.)

Asking $5k- Book is $3500. The market (cycletrader) is all over the map on the K12 used.

I'm meeting the seller to see and ride the bike tonight. I know I'm going to generally love it. Knowing that, what things would you all recommend I inspect, listen for, test before purchasing?

I know many of you will say, just pass it up and go find a 1300. These types of bikes are scarce where I live, so much so our local BMW dealer knew very little about these bikes (not a great sign if I need service either.) Is there a chance this is worth a purchase? I value reliability and don't mind self-servicing the basics. I had been eyeing the Ninja 1000 before this popped up. Is this a bad idea at any price? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Robert W Benjamin; May 15th, 2020 at 5:26 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Noob

Thereís nothing deeply flawed with the í05, it just lacks refinement. Donít read too much into the doom/gloom.

My í05 is a snarling beast.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2020, 9:29 pm

There were many recalls on the early k12sí and ĎRís such as air boxes, cam chain tensioner clutch baskets and lamellar pack, fuel pump flanges and quick disconnnect fittings, rear wheel carrier changed from aluminium to steel, cam chain jump guard and software updates. I would make sure that these are up to date at least.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt howdy View Post
There were many recalls on the early k12sí and ĎRís such as air boxes, cam chain tensioner clutch baskets and lamellar pack, fuel pump flanges and quick disconnnect fittings, rear wheel carrier changed from aluminium to steel, cam chain jump guard and software updates. I would make sure that these are up to date at least.
As an owner of an 05 K1200S, where would I check this?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2020, 11:31 pm
Enthusiast

If there are open recalls, your dealer will take your vin number and let you know what bmw will deal with. Many have time limits.
To the OP. 5 grand is too much no matter what. 15 year old bike that is complicated, pay less for it. The 05's are serious hot rods. Have fun. NOT a city bike, road work is far easier riding.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2020, 1:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Took the ride . . .

OK. Took the test ride. Bike is just a bit rougher than the photos, but nothing major. The basics all check out although we met in a public place so I didnít get to start it cold. Clutch was good, no racket and shifting was a little notchy but didnt jump out of gear. ESA has issues. Could not get the button to change on the display with either a press or hold, still or moving, in N or gear. The suspension seemed very firm. I did have a Yellow triangle warning the entire ride. The bike was also very low on gas- range remaining like 30 miles. I think I read on the online manual that the yellow triangle comes on with the fuel warning, would that trump the ESA portion of the display- I thought he ESA modes display at the bottom? I rode it for about 20 minutes, did not get beyond side streets and a couple four lane streets with lights. Brakes seemed fine on both ends and only slightly felt what was the servo assist. Never grabbed enough to get the ABS to kick in. Revs cam up fine, Iím not used to high rev limits so I was shifting a bit early- but hey I was in town.

Owner reports she got the bike at a great price but never really rode it much, she didn't tell me the price She paid. She knew nothing of the ESA or its function- kinda felt like she was playing dumb. She claimed the new tires and battery were last year, but may have been earlier- I forgot to check the tire dates (damn) but they still had hair on them. Iím guessing it has mostly been sitting for the past year, maybe two. Last service was at the BMW dealer, someone else took it in and paid for it for her and she does not have the receipt.

Interesting adds- MZ? Bar risers, BMW cases, bmw battery tender already wired, two accessory plugs (the cigarette plug type.). No manuals or tools. She hinted at throwing in a helmet.

I have the VIN. Told her I have to research the ESA issue. I can also call BMW and have them check the warranty/service bulletin work. She offered to fix whatever is wrong with it, until I explained the potential cost of suspension replacement. She stayed after me pretty hard, so I can tell she is trying to get out of it. She said she would pay for the checkup with BMW.

Her eagerness concerns me. Her not knowing what the ESA even is seemed dodgy.

My gut says walk away, there are a lot of great bikes out there. Part of me also says lowball the offer to part it out level and enjoy whatever life it has left in it. I mean- oil/gas/filters. Maybe coolant and rear drive service and see how far it takes me. The ride was really firm so maybe its running in 2up+ and sport? Again, I restarted it without issue. It spooled up fine, some popping coming down the revs, not a lot. No weird noises from the clutch, shifting was notchy but never jumped out. Brakes seemed spot on.

Advice?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2020, 9:50 am
Noob

> I value reliability
and
> ESA has issues

I think you can answer your own question!

> someone else took it in and paid for it for her and she does not have the receipt
It feels wrong. I'd walk. No, run.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Enthusiast

Sounds like the ESA is "locked up" A condition worse than just in two up but may be fixed by some BMW dealer computer work. Those shocks can now be rebuilt. Say you get it for 2 grand. Then have to put 3 more into it to take care of everything. For a couple more you can find a k13S. Times are hard right now. Things are cheap. Even if you have to ship a bike, it is only 6 or 700$. The lady is not being up front and the poor bike has a sorted history.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2020, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Talked to local BMW dealer. VIN check reveals all recall/updates have been done. Reportedly as while ago, not recently. They would charge me an hour for straightforward checkup and diagnostics- $115. Oil/Coolant/drive servicing- 3 hours - $345ish. Basic reset on the ESA is .5 hours - $57.50. If that doesnít work . . . It rides as is, which is what? No travel in the suspension? It seemed to just be really firm when I bounced on it. Figure $500 plus the unknown of the ESA. If Iím lucky, which I never count on- it resets and works properly. If not, service man told me $500 to $3000 for new replacement parts depending on whatís behind the curtain. Aftermarket suspension options will cost what? Tempted to lowball, but the suspension issue feels like a deal breaker.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W Benjamin View Post
Talked to local BMW dealer. VIN check reveals all recall/updates have been done. Reportedly as while ago, not recently. They would charge me an hour for straightforward checkup and diagnostics- $115. Oil/Coolant/drive servicing- 3 hours - $345ish. Basic reset on the ESA is .5 hours - $57.50. If that doesnít work . . . It rides as is, which is what? No travel in the suspension? It seemed to just be really firm when I bounced on it. Figure $500 plus the unknown of the ESA. If Iím lucky, which I never count on- it resets and works properly. If not, service man told me $500 to $3000 for new replacement parts depending on whatís behind the curtain. Aftermarket suspension options will cost what? Tempted to lowball, but the suspension issue feels like a deal breaker.
The checkup and diagnostics for $115 is money well spent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode