K1200S vs. K1300S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoomie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2020, 4:01 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K1200S vs. K1300S

Hey there K-Bike community,

I have a 2008 K12S that I've been really enjoying. I perform all my own maintenance and repairs and I've put a ton of work into this bike, having bought it in a somewhat neglected state. It's now a very fine motorcycle that has been a blast to ride. A sort of Gentleman's sport bike. In fact, I've been enjoying it so much I'm starting to think more about longevity of the species. Given the current economy, there are some excellent deals out there on the newer K1300S and I'm wondering if I should be looking for a clean specimen before they start to disappear.

My questions to you all is this. What are the main differences between the K12S and the K13S beyond the obvious. I've not yet found a K13S in a position where I can ride it and do a comparison. I'm thinking mainly in terms of ride quality and performance. It seems like the two bikes are very similar technically so trying to gauge if it's worth spending up for the K13S.

As I mentioned, my K12S is from 2008 and only has about 30K miles on it. After all the work I've done to it, it's in excellent condition and performs very well. I've done a number of upgrades to it that close the gap with some features on the K13S. Would I really experience an appreciable difference in ride quality / performance to make the K13S a worthy investment?

I really appreciate any thoughts you all can share.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Noob

I wonder if more than one or two folks have owned both.

I had the pleasure of an extended drive on a 2015 K1300S Motorsport Edition before settling on a 2007 K12. Full disclosure, I have owned a LT for the last 4 years and have taken it on several extended and cross country trips)

I wanted to expand my riding options, and so, through a friend, angled the ride on the K1300s.

Now I have owner the K12S for about 2 months and I am settling into it. I am not a particularly aggressive operator.

From my perspective, the K1300 offers quick shift (up shits only) - pretty cool and definitely cuts down your quarter mile time. K12S doesn't

K1300s has more refined fairings. I like the rough edginess of the K12

K1300S has about 8 more HP. FWIW, not material unless you are jonesing to loose you license faster than with the K12S

Oh, and the K13S Motorsport Edition has the very expensive adjustable foot pegs. For me, no added value other than they look cool.

And it has the forged wheels, which I believe reduce the unsprung weight by about 2 lbs per wheel. If you are really into competition, this could be material. Not so much for everyday.

Thats my $ .02

Really enjoying my K1200S !!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2020, 6:37 pm

A bird in the hand might in fact be worth two in the bush.

You have a bike you're familiar with, that you worked the bugs out of (I'm being perhaps overconfident here) and then why change it? We've all missed opportunities at one time or another, but if you subscribe to "Like what you have, not have what you like" you may find more happiness in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2020, 8:12 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
A bird in the hand might in fact be worth two in the bush.

You have a bike you're familiar with, that you worked the bugs out of (I'm being perhaps overconfident here) and then why change it? We've all missed opportunities at one time or another, but if you subscribe to "Like what you have, not have what you like" you may find more happiness in the long run.
Completely agree, and I really do love my K12S. What's got me thinking about it is my desire to upgrade the suspension and add tire pressure monitoring. I've calculated the costs of these two upgrades at $2500 which would be a big chunk of a newer K13S that would have these features along with additional features like shift assist, updated controls, and (maybe) improved engine power delivery (peak torque vs. peak power). It's hard to spend that kind of money on the K12S, when it's only worth about $6K on a good day.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2020, 6:01 pm

I have a 2008 k12R and had the opportunity to mind my mateís K1300R. When one was ridden after the other there was a reasonable difference in refinement noticed but the k13 had done 30k miles and the k12 65k miles. This couldíve been the difference. BUT when I rode my k12R exclusively nothing made me want to swap it for a k13 or any other bike for that matter. This is the first bike Iíve owned where I havenít traded up to the next model.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2020, 11:16 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt howdy View Post
I have a 2008 k12R and had the opportunity to mind my mateís K1300R. When one was ridden after the other there was a reasonable difference in refinement noticed but the k13 had done 30k miles and the k12 65k miles. This couldíve been the difference. BUT when I rode my k12R exclusively nothing made me want to swap it for a k13 or any other bike for that matter. This is the first bike Iíve owned where I havenít traded up to the next model.
You might be on to something here. I really struggle to ask for more than what I'm getting out of the K12S beyond than the suspension upgrade and tire pressure monitoring. There's a point where the economics are the issue any more and I might be there.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 9:36 am
Noob

Iíve owned a K1200R and a K1200 R Sport. Neither had ESA and neither had any mechanical issues when I sold them. I bought the K1300S because I was concerned about having to possibly deal with the really difficult and expensive faults and foibles down the road that had been addressed and dealt with by the K1300. It seems that you have reached a familiar emotional dilemma. The ďI really donít want this, but deep down I really do.Ē From my experience, this dilemma wonít go away until you will eventually cave in and get what you really want. As far as a riding experience comparison between a K12 and K13 I canít really see that much difference. However, the K1300S seems a bit more refined. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Beech likes this.

ZOOMIE
2015 K1300S
2016 R1200RS
FREE STATE OF IDAHO
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 9:25 pm
Noob

I have owned both. Long story short, I am 6í3 and 289 lbs and the 1300S just felt better to me. It ran smoother, shifter smoother and was just more comfortable on long rides. I did a 3800 mile ride on the K1300S and had no issues, wasnít in pain and could have kept riding for days on end. For me, the 1300 was a superior machine but there is nothing wrong with the 1200S either.

Thatís my .02.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:49 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies, especially those of you who have owned both bikes. In terms of comfort, the geometry between the K12S and the K13S are identical so not sure why one would be more comfortable per se, but can appreciate that the engine / trans would be smoother on the K13S.

I think I'll hold out for an opportunity to drive one myself. Again, my K12S is very well sorted and has few issues so maybe I'm looking to solve a problem I don't have.

Stay tuned.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 8:40 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
Thanks for all the replies, especially those of you who have owned both bikes. In terms of comfort, the geometry between the K12S and the K13S are identical so not sure why one would be more comfortable per se, but can appreciate that the engine / trans would be smoother on the K13S.

I think I'll hold out for an opportunity to drive one myself. Again, my K12S is very well sorted and has few issues so maybe I'm looking to solve a problem I don't have.

Stay tuned.
Not sure why the 13S felt better but I had 2 1200ís and I just bought my 2nd 1300S tonight and I would recommend the 1300 every time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode