Noisy fan - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcchoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 2:27 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Noisy fan

My 2015 K1300S Motorsport has just clocked up 12,000 miles and is running sweeter than ever, having had the clutch judder and hot start issues fixed under the 2 year warranty that came with the (used) bike in December 2016.

But just lately I have a new problem. The fan works perfectly, cutting in at 4 or 5 bars on the gauge and pushing the temp back down to 3 bars very quickly. But if I switch the engine off with the fan still running, as it slows down it makes a horrible graunchy noise. Sounds like maybe a leaf is hitting the blades, having been blown out of the way when the fan is running - or even the bearings failing? Given that the bike is less than six years old and that the fan has hardly ever actually been running (in northern England), i'd be very disappointed if it was the fan bearing.

Anyone else had this? i would tear it down myself to take a look, but I don't have the equipment for the required vacuum fill, nor the skill to do that.

And a new fan is £300.00 + labour . . .

Thanks for any guidance, David Mc.

Last edited by mcchoc; May 22nd, 2020 at 6:26 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 6:00 am
Addict

Well, yes, the fan as in the entire unit including shroud might be 300 quid, but you might only need the fan motor. These are usually available through a third party supplier. Not needed to go in there yet, but Iím sure someone will chime in with the relevant info. But first Iíd be checking for anything obstructing the fan blades. As you mention, might be a leaf...

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 9:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks

I've had fairing side panels off but cannot get at the fan. It's trapped between rad and down-pipes. Can't imagine how any debris got in there.

If it does turn out to be the motor, how do I source just that part without buying the whole unit?

Thanks for any insight. David Mc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm
Noob

You can definitely get the fan out without resorting to complicated stuff. If I can do it, anyone can!
The tricks you need to know are:
- all panels off, inc belly pan
- remove the support bar that runs from the engine to the radiator (its got a circlip-type thing on both ends - pull those off sideways and then wriggle the rubber-gromited ends off). That will let you extract the fan unit down and out sideways
- when you get to the fan's top right bolt, you'll need to use pliers, because there's no way to get a screwdriver in there. Once that bolt is off, file some flats on it so you can use a 13mm spanner to put it back on afterwards.
- the radiator stays on, no emptying needed.

While you're there give the radiator a check for blockages low down, and clean it by spraying water through - but only from the back, and not a high pressure hose so as not to damage the fins.

Last edited by richtea; May 21st, 2020 at 2:43 pm.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2020, 5:25 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for that

Richtea - many thanks for that, I'll try to get my sausage fingers in there to see what's going on.

Could you tell me how many bolts (?) hold the fan to the rad, and do they all take flat head screwdriver or socket ?

I've seen the whole rad/fan unit pulled out on You Tube but he didn't separate them.

Thanks again, David Mc.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2020, 7:06 am
Addict

It is likely a Bosch motor as they have been making BMW cooling fan motors for decades. Check in with euromotoelectrics as they are a good source of parts like this.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Flyingkiwi

Managed to get fan off with rad in situ thanks to you guys. That top right screw was a right b*stard, but I'm sure my blood-blister won't last long.

There was no obvious debris and the fan seems to be a sealed unit so I've just sprayed WD40 and lubricating oil liberally between the fan and the motor case and hope that some finds its way in. I did manage to get the circlip off the end of the spindle but didn't want to force further disassembly as the fan blades didn't want to budge and be pulled off.

The unit is made in Italy, by the way, by Spal. No wonder BMWs have lost their reputation for quality if they're using parts meant for Ducatis.

Hopefully that should fix it - if not, I'll be looking for a new fan assembly.

Sadly I need to sell the K1300S Motorsport within the next year or so as I retire next summer and can't afford to run multiple bikes then. It has done 12,000 miles and is pretty much in showroom condition, with the 55 litre Motorrad softbag and the MRA Varioscreen as spare.

Thanks again for all your help - I was feeling a little vulnerable trying to run a K-bike after the demise of i-BMW but this site has some great threads.

Last edited by mcchoc; May 23rd, 2020 at 1:23 am.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:24 am
Enthusiast

I have a spare fan assembly on the shelf purchased last month on Ebay for $30 USD!!!! I have accumulated many parts this way, just looking ahead. The motor seems to be a sealed non replaceable parts type device. Sorry to hear you plan on selling one of the greatest bikes ever made by BMW.
(with some time and more posts we can turn this forum into the technical giant Ibmw was)

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2020, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
Sorry to hear you plan on selling one of the greatest bikes ever made by BMW.
Yes, the Special K is definitely the best thing to come out of Berlin since the treaty of Versailles. Riding it never fails to make me grin like an idiot, I even enjoy cleaning it and never fail to look back at the beauty when I park and walk away. The early clutch judder and hot start issues were a pain, but now forgiven.

But I've had to be rational. I have never had a brand new vehicle in my life and wanted one for retirement so the choice had to be right. I intend to ride until the day I drop, and needed a really versatile machine that could do anything and get me safely to wherever I stick a pin in the atlas. I had ten 'must haves' to tick and the only bike which ticked them all was the Triumph Tiger 1200 - so that's what i bought.

No PARAMETER
1 Premium Build Quality.
2 Powerful & quick enough to excite.
3 Great handling with sweet balance.
4 Engine of real character in mid state of tune for longevity.
5 High pillion & luggage carrying capability.
6 Good fuel economy.
7 Totally reliable.
8 500 mile day comfort.
9 Serious mile muncher.
10 Capable of handling the world's deteriorating roads.

Sadly, BMW no longer make any bike I'd want - but I will never sell my 1997 K1200RS 'Taxi' and will keep her up and running as a stand-by. And I reckon she'll still be running when even the Tiger is in a skip.

David Mc.

Last edited by mcchoc; May 23rd, 2020 at 1:26 am.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2020, 1:11 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Post Script

Forgot to mention - the fan's graunch is still there on shut-down. I cannot risk it seizing and damaging that wonderful motor so I've found what looks like a decent used fan on eBay for £85.00, with warranty. And i'm now so well-practised at removing and refitting this part, the job will resemble Lewis Hamilton's crew in a pit stop.
flyingkiwi likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode