post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

full system exhaust shootout

here are the results of the full system shootout between the following:

* laser full system w/ powercup muffler
* ztechnik full titanium system
* remus full system w/ titanium muffler
* akrapovic full system w/ hexagonal muffler

please note that all tests were run on the same day, same dyno, same bike (2005 k1200s, evoluzione race airflow system, evoluzione stage one head, 6.0 program update).

overlay of all systems:

laser full system w/ powercup muffler:

ztechnik full titanium system:

remus full system w/ titanium muffler:

akrapovic full system w/ hexagonal muffler:

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Question

Thank you Ken,

I would be interested in the full system results with Laser Hotcam, as this one is street oriented compared to the Power Cup. I know it's difficult to satisfy the individual needs of our members but for you it would be a question of swaping the muflers only I gues.

Cheers,
Nick
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 8:07 pm
Enthusiast

Thank you for posting these results Ken. Looks like there is a price to be paid for top end power and torque. Although the Akrapovic full system is not the highest output performer the results are much smoother than the others. Near linear HP from 3500 - 6200 plus more consistent increase in torque should make for smoother throttle control plus output gains through the commonly used rev range. The fall in outputs that some of the systems show from the start of the runs (~3500) is interesting.

Are the posted results all reduced / corrected to standard ambient and barometric conditions. It goes without saying that testing of all exhaust systems and combinations is neither practical or feasible so do you think it would be a reasonable tie into your work if say two of the tested systems were used as comparable benchmarch dyno runs and addition testing was continued elsewhere. The Staintune muffler (highest manufacturer claims) with std headers / Laser HC headers / etc looks interesting on paper. This site may be useful for output standardisation: http://www.csgnetwork.com/relhumhpcalc.html

Last edited by Lenz; Jun 11th, 2006 at 8:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 9:30 pm
Enthusiast

Ken,
You state that the tests were done w/ the stage one head work ( by your shop). If memory serves, that alone is worth some 5 to 7 hp. If that is the case, the few hp gained by $2,200 worth of titanium, is almost as waistefull as the military and their $1,000 toilets!

I wish these were done w/o the head work so that a base line of comparison could be studied.

If i am off base, I appologise ahead of time!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 9:44 pm

How much of th HP gain is due to the head work, how much due to the race filters, and how much due to the 2k worth of exhaust?

Tough to compare there result to the slip-on test

06 K1200 R
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:06 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i think some of you are missing the point of what i was trying to show. forget what the actual numbers are and look at the trends. keep in mind we ran the tests we did for our own information (both slip-on & full systems). we had our own r&d reasons for running the tests the way we did and i thought we would share this info because it might be interesting to some people. we have close to ten thousand dollars invested in these tests (between buying all of the exhausts, the enginnering time, the dyno time, the r&r of each system, etc.) and we determined what we were after.

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:49 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoluzione
i think some of you are missing the point of what i was trying to show. forget what the actual numbers are and look at the trends. keep in mind we ran the tests we did for our own information (both slip-on & full systems). we had our own r&d reasons for running the tests the way we did and i thought we would share this info because it might be interesting to some people. we have close to ten thousand dollars invested in these tests (between buying all of the exhausts, the enginnering time, the dyno time, the r&r of each system, etc.) and we determined what we were after.

please do not misunderstand. I am not in anyway, shape, form, or fashion tring to impune anything negative. On the contrary, your work, time and expense is most valuable. I am most glad you did the research. I know were I will be buying any aftermarket go fast( er) sound better stuff.

The only thing, was I was wondering what the real hp gain would be from a full titanium system only. I am sure you have a idea what the head work will yeild....I think you said ( correct me if i am wrong please) about 5 hp.

Ken, we are in the same church & same pew. I am on your side!

ONLY the Kindest Regards,
Dave
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:11 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

in a nutshell, our bike progressed as follows (numbers are approximate peak power):

stock baseline - 145 hp

laser hotcam slip-on - 149 hp

laser hotcam slip-on & race airflow system - 154 hp

leo vince slip-on & race airflow system - 154 hp

remus full system & race airflow system - 152 hp (header gave +10 hp midrange)

laser hotcam slip-on/remus header & race airflow system - 153 hp

laser powercup slip-on/remus header & race airflow system - 157 hp

stage one headwork, laser powercup slip-on/remus header & race airflow system - 166 hp

stage one headwork, laser powercup full system & race airflow system - 168 hp (laser header lost 5 hp midrange compared to remus)

dimsport unit, stage one headwork, laser powercup full system & race airflow system - 169 hp (+3 hp in midrange w/improved throttle response)

dimsport unit, stage one headwork, ztechnik full system & race airflow system - 168 hp (+4 hp in midrange over laser)

dimsport unit, stage one headwork, akrapovic full system & race airflow system - 166 hp (+2 hp in midrange over ztechnik)

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 3:03 am
Enthusiast

I see what you meant in your much earlier posts about good value for the $ with the slip ons and air filter mods - big jump there. The next major difference looks like the mid range output of the Remus then the head cleanup. The Remus full system certainly makes a difference in useable mid range power and torque. Remus header and Staintune muffler could be interesting against the full Remus ? There's a lot of time and money gone into producing this information - thank you again for making it available.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2006, 7:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
please do not misunderstand. I am not in anyway, shape, form, or fashion tring to impune anything negative. On the contrary, your work, time and expense is most valuable. I am most glad you did the research. I know were I will be buying any aftermarket go fast( er) sound better stuff.

The only thing, was I was wondering what the real hp gain would be from a full titanium system only. I am sure you have a idea what the head work will yeild....I think you said ( correct me if i am wrong please) about 5 hp.

Ken, we are in the same church & same pew. I am on your side!

ONLY the Kindest Regards,
Dave

Just an fyi...... The fact that the exhaust systems are made from titanium have no affect on hp. That is a weight savings only.

They produce more power because of the design of the headers, and their less restrictice nature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode