Tranny Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Tranny problems
Bike drops into 2nd from 3rd or neutral from 2nd 12 22.22%
Never had any problems 42 77.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Tranny Problems

Time for a poll to see whose experiencing problems with the S or R popping into another gear/neutral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:15 am

some times in 2nd it pops into Neutral
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:48 am

Several False Neutrals

Mine likes to find neutrals between 3rd & 4th and 5th & 6th. Usually everytime I go for a ride that requires me to shift the gears... Does not matter what boots/shoes I wear with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

have you tried riding barefooted?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 9:06 am
Rider Journeyman

If I don't REALLY make sure that I completely "pull up" the shift into 2nd during a rapid run, then, on too frequent an occasion, the gear will "fall out" to neutral.

IMRO, the gear meshing is too temperamental and significant refinement is in order.

I still love the bike, just identifying the single area that could be improved to make it a lot better.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
If I don't REALLY make sure that I completely "pull up" the shift into 2nd during a rapid run, then, on too frequent an occasion, the gear will "fall out" to neutral.

IMRO, the gear meshing is too temperamental and significant refinement is in order.

I still love the bike, just identifying the single area that could be improved to make it a lot better.

+1 Same here, you gotta make sure you really "hit" 2nd
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2006, 7:10 pm
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Obviously, the tranny has "issues", and I truly believe that BMW knows it and has tak'n a "let's wait and see" attitude while they think of a fix. You guys hear that noise?......sounded like a car crash!.............Oh, never mind.........it was just a KR shifting to 2nd.......2t2f

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
have you tried riding barefooted?
LOL - Hadn't considered that one, but from my youthful days of riding with no helmet and flip-flops on a then-nearly-new Honda CB900F, I have to say that it's pretty damn uncomfortable...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
I have been riding with the same BMW boots for the last 3 years and I really like them, so that's at least a experiment control that's not a variable and today I had to break out the 'ol K12GT and ride to work, while the "S" is in the shop. Okay - well it's definitely bigger... And hella slower... and wider... and not all that much more comfortable...

...But that engine is flawless and the tranny... Man! They got it right the first time.

Oh Well. We're trying to figure out why the "S" is so unhappy with me. :o

'nough ranting - Let's go riding!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2006, 7:08 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-A
LOL - Hadn't considered that one, but from my youthful days of riding with no helmet and flip-flops on a then-nearly-new Honda CB900F, I have to say that it's pretty damn uncomfortable...)
What a civilised reply.........

Seems the gearbox is ok but the gear selection and changing mechanism needs to be brought up to the expected standard which is not "just acceptable" but "consistently faultless". If you've got an issue that won't go away write a letter to BMW Germany. Hardcopy letters can not be deleted - they've got to be dealt with less superficially than email or a 2nd or 3rd hand gripe collection from a dealer. Keep it simple, factual and polite. Send a new one every two weeks.

Last edited by Lenz; Jun 16th, 2006 at 7:16 pm.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2006, 8:19 am

No problems to report...this particular gearbox and transmission seems miles ahead of my old '96 RS. That beast would pop out of second all the time (once most memorably while I was making a left turn with a semi heading towards me). My '02 RS did not have this problem and it was the main reason I bought the bike. It still shifted hard, but never slipped out of gear. The K-S shifts easier still and doesn't come out of gear either. Granted, the shifter and tranny aren't as smooth as other marques, but as long as it functions for me I can ride just fine. I consider it kind of a BMW quirk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode