RAM Mount threaded ball - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2006, 8:49 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

RAM Mount threaded ball

When the K12S first came out a few people mentioned that instead of using the BMW mount for the BMW/Garmin 2610 that there is a way to remove the roundel logo from the upper steering clamp and to install a RAM threaded ball mount, to which can be attached any of their (RAM's) mounting platforms.

Can anyone please tell me what part # I need to buy (or at least a specific enough description so as to avoid confusion) in order to use the steering-clamp mounted RAM mount, and how to install it? I think that you just pry up the logo carefully (since it's likely held on with adhesive) and just screw in the threaded-post RAM Mount ball, but I'd like to be sure so as not to cause any damage.

Lastly, if I use the steering-clamp mount for a GPS, any suggestion on another location for mounting an XM or Sirius satellite radio? Has anyone had any luck with brake or clutch perch mounts from RAM, or any other suggestions? Is mounting a small GPS (such as the GARMIN Nuvi) AND a small satellite radio receiver (such as an XM Roady 2, which is fairly small) on one wide platform that's attached to a single RAM Mount arm a possibility, and if so, can anyone recommend which RAM mount platform I would use to accomplish that feat?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2006, 2:35 am
Noob

Talking Ram Mount

Hello Guys, just pick up my K12S and its due for its 1st service this coming Monday

kl3640, you'll find the information here Ram Mount and here Ram Part Number

Last edited by cyclop; Jun 18th, 2006 at 6:39 am.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl3640
I think that you just pry up the logo carefully (since it's likely held on with adhesive) and just screw in the threaded-post RAM Mount ball, but I'd like to be sure so as not to cause any damage.

Thanks in advance!
Taking off the logo cap is easy ..just pry it from all sides and it snaps off without damage. You can then screw the ball in the threaded socket. I have been using this mount for 4 months and I believe it is the best spot for viewing the GPS and wiring. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. The photos in the link from Cyclop are from my bike,

05K1200S Y/B - It doesn't get any better...'
ONTARIO, CANADA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:18 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks, that's perfect! For some reason that thread didn't come up in my search (either I used the wrong criteria or searched the wrong forum), so thanks for pointing it out.

Also, although it's much bigger than the Nuvi, the 2820 might be the best choice because it offers MP3 AND XM capability, so I'd only need a single device...and it integrates via Bluetooth with certain Smartphones (or at least allows pass-through phone calls for most Bluetooth phones if I read the description correctly).

Last edited by kl3640; Jun 18th, 2006 at 10:46 pm.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:31 pm

The 2820 is definetly the way to go. I have one on pre-order and I am told 2 weeks.

05K1200S Y/B - It doesn't get any better...'
ONTARIO, CANADA
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie29
The 2820 is definetly the way to go. I have one on pre-order and I am told 2 weeks.
Well, I need my by the 29th, so I hope that I can find someone who has it in stock. I'd actually like to have it a day in advance so that I can test it, learn to use it, etc...

Any ideas on waterproofing it in case I get caught out in the rain?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:33 am
Addict

Pirates Lair sells a mount that slides over the clutch res. cap - can be used for
anything. I use mine for a radar detector - works well and it's $45.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclop
Hello Guys, just pick up my K12S and its due for its 1st service this coming Monday

kl3640, you'll find the information here Ram Mount and here Ram Part Number
I went to a couple of sites to check out the parts listed in the post that you so kindly referenced in your reply, but I'm confused by one fact listed in the item descriptions:

Apparently the RAM ball system comes in various ball diameters (i.e., 1", 1.5", etc...). The part numbers listed in the post that you referenced only show up with a 'U' at the end, such as RAM-B-201U, etc..., however, in their description they list as the "EX SKU" (whatever that is) the part number without the 'U' so that it's an exact match with the part numbers listed in the post that you referenced. So I'm assuming that since they look the same as the pictures and since there is no part number that is an exact match for the primary SKU number that the parts with the 'U' at the end are the correct parts?

If so, then the problem is that the threaded ball and the mounting arm are described as working with the 1.5" ball system, but the mounting plate is described as working with the 1" ball system. Help!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:05 pm

There are three components: a GPS-specific cradle, a double-ball arm (avail. in varying lengths), and a bike-specific RAM ball mount. Yes, you want all 1" or all 1.5" ball components.

A good starting point is here: http://www.gpscity.com/gps-mount.htm Just enter your GPS model to get the needed cradle. Personally I like a snap-in cradle better than the screwing a ball-and-plate into the GPS. With a cradle it's much faster and easier to remove the GPS at rest stops to secure it.

The RAM-B-236U threaded 1" dia. RAM ball will screw directly into the steering axis beneath the BMW roundel badge on the K1200S. Make sure you get the one with 3/8"-16 threads -- there's also a 1/4" dia threaded version that won't work. This is what works: http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-moun...ll/ramb236.htm However it doesn't look very aesthetic. Ideally you'd want a flat plate finished similarly to the handlebars.

RAM-B-236U is also available here: http://www.mountinginnovations.com/

I also ordered this 1" ball, which screws into the same place and looks better. It isn't made by RAM but might work. Haven't received it yet. Will post a review when I do: http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/...119463251,.htm

Last edited by joema; Jun 26th, 2006 at 9:12 pm.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 8:13 am

Here are the parts that I have ordered (yet to recieve)...I am using the system to mount a camera for an elongated trip.

RAM-B-202A (Camera plate)
RAM-B-2346U (1 in. ball with 3/8 thread)
RAM-B-201 (Standard 3 inch connector arm)

Kaos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode