belly pan drags the ground on a k12s ! / ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

belly pan drags the ground on a k12s ! / ?

I was reading on another site that when doing the power cup races, the bellpan would drag / hit the ground on the k12R! I was wondering if the belly pan on the k12S hits as well? I am hoping that some of you have done track days...( and therefore speak w/ first hand knowledge).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:46 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
I was reading on another site that when doing the power cup races, the bellpan would drag / hit the ground on the k12R! I was wondering if the belly pan on the k12S hits as well? I am hoping that some of you have done track days...( and therefore speak w/ first hand knowledge).
Never done a trackday on the K12S, but I completely removed my chickenstrips on US Hwy 1 on a recent California trip and never had any parts dragging.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:22 am

Have done about 1,500 kms around Phillip Island GP track in the past six months and haven't touched the tarmac with the fairing. You can scrape the pegs without dragging the lower fairing. I did clip a ripple strip one day with a fairly extreme lean angle and touched the gear lever and the lower side of the fairing however.But under normal circumstances on the edge of the tyre its not a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:18 am
Rookie

I posted a message on the i-bmw forum in regards to someone asking about dragging the centerstand.

I have a photo showing a S leaned over, and you can see plenty of clearance for both the center stand and the fairing.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:30 am

Dude...that is the most extreme lean angle I've seen on an S bike - hat's off!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck
I posted a message on the i-bmw forum in regards to someone asking about dragging the centerstand.

I have a photo showing a S leaned over, and you can see plenty of clearance for both the center stand and the fairing.
You mean this one?

Note the center stand installed!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:13 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCKRS
You mean this one?

Note the center stand installed!
that's it!!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:25 pm

I just did Pocono International, the FUSA track, on my K1200S this morning and the belly pan rubbed only at one point. At that particular spot on the track there is a sharp left-hander that has a sudden rise just past the apex, when you're still in full lean if you're up to speed. In the brief moment that the front wheel is on the higher surface and the rear is on the lower surface, the actual point of rise contacts the back of the belly pan when in full lean. I have a nice brush-stroke like scrape on the left rear of the pan. I'll try to post a pic, if I get around to it.

For what it's worth though, many other bikes scraped their pans on that spot and nowhere else on the track, including my friend's CBR600RR (which admittedly doesn't have as much clearance as the K-S). Also, I've never scraped the belly pan in any other location on the street or other tracks, despite being in full lean on many rough and uneven surfaces.

Bottom line, I've never heard of anyone else scraping their K-S's bellypan, and though I get pretty aggressive in the corners on my K-S, I'm willing to be that there are those here who put me to shame. I think that it happened to me only because of a freak combination of road surface (track) and the required lean to complete the turn at speed. On the street I may not have been leaned over quite as much as I was on the track and therefore in a "real-life situation" that rise may not have even registered a hit on the bellypan.

I can't say what would have happened if I hadn't removed the centerstand last night.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:16 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Dude...that is the most extreme lean angle I've seen on an S bike - hat's off!

Do ya think he has any chicken strips?...Of course depending on the tire, suspension settings, rider "hang off" technique, the strip may not be a chicken strip at all... but instead a point of no return strip!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:20 am
Just saying hey

I scraped the left side in 2 spots when I was showing my son how to get his knee down. I hit it twice. It hits on the ridge just below the painted fairing and in the middle of the back of the v.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode