"S" Type of Rider Poll - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
View Poll Results: Prior to the S/R, what was your riding style?
BMW pipe and slipper wearer 18 28.57%
Japanese Sportbikes - slice em' and dice em' baby 31 49.21%
Harley or cruiser type - poser 9 14.29%
Touring (iron butt) - 1000 miles a day or stay at home! 5 7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 8:32 am Thread Starter

"S" Type of Rider Poll

Thought this would be interesting...BMW marketing targeted the japanese
style sportbike rider with the S and R models in hopes to gain some market share
in a segment, where previously, they were unable to compete in.

So, I'm curious if the majority of S and R bike owners were the traditional pipe and slipper wearing crowd or serious sportbike riders.

For me, it was the S that made me even consider a BMW.

polls open...vote early and vote often.

(polls closed to dead people)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 8:46 am

BMW guy all the way

Started in 97 with a R1200C.

2004 with a R1150RT.

2005 with a pre-owned 2002 K1200LTC. Wanted something more confortable for my wide. Had an K1200RS for about 4 months for solo riding but wanted more grunt. Sold it and got a K1200S. Exactly like yours granite grey fully stock, all I have is the BMW saddle bags.

I think that the die hard sportbiker will still have something or other to say about the KS and lean towards a japanese bike. (Cost to buy, Cost to own it after buying it, cost of accessories for it). As a previous BMW owner I know that even thought they edged out into the "superbike" market, they are still making a bike that calls the attention of their previous owners, things like heated grips, seats, ESA, trip computers, gear indicator, those are things WE BMW owners EXPECT on anything they make. Lots of other die hard sportbikers have no idea its even offered.

I work with a guy that has a R1, Raven Black, a Gsxr1000 stripped for racing, and just bought a 2006 or 2007 GSXR600. He liked my KS when he saw it, but still made the comment of "older gentleman sports bike".........UNTIL HE RODE IT!!!!!!! LOL. I let him and he returned with a grin on his face from ear to ear............. "Man this bike is a monster" was what he said getting off of it. BUT

The price of a K1200S he can buy the R1 and GSX that he has, which he has a point, so...

Just my observation as a previous BMW guy going into this awsome machine that should nad I think slowly will niche itself into the sport biker world.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:27 am

The k1200s made me return to bikes, I think its the best all around bike i've ever had. I forgot how much I liked riding. Now I need a 999r for the track. (or BMW NEEDS to build a k1200 type GP bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:35 am Thread Starter

I ride with guys on new ZX14's, Busa's, ZZR's, and other sport or sport touring bikes - the BMW holds it's own and everyone's always impressed...why? Because BMW still has that "pipe and slippers" image...so I really enjoy changing people's mind about just what these new BMW's can do.

I've buzzed guys on sportbikes and then when we stop, they come over to see what in the hell that was that passed them...that's fun too!

p.s. I'm with you on the track bike, but I'm leaning towards an RC51...that twin power band/torque really impresses me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Prior to my K12 I had an Aprilia RSV 1000R Factory so (as there was no Italian Stallion category) I clicked the Japanese sportsbike one.

However, as I only owned the Aprilia for 10 months and my previous bike was a K1200RS I guess I should have clicked the pipe and slippers one :wtf
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Prior to the k1200s i have had a cbr900rrs fireblade and a vfr750f before that,i do think the k1200s is a great bike and whilst in sicily 2 weeks with my mates who had cbr 900,cbr 929,cbr 1000,vtr1000 i could still hold out in front even on the twistees,the engine power is really good and the shaft drive does not effect at all,the e.s.a is amazing and also the abs brakes are really good,I will never regret buying the k1200s and i would say the only reason we do not see so many on the road is the price but they are really worth it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 3:55 pm

In the immortal words of Nigel Tufnel the answer is "None".

I fit none of those. Apart from the occasional Duc or *cough73Triumphcough*, my bikes have always been Beemers...but never a big sled of a tourer. Always a sport-tourer. I want to go reasonably fast, turn on rails and go for 500 miles at a time if I want to. Want reliability and technology that isn't mired in the early 19th century. I want something fairly unique...meaning I don't want to pass 100 of my same brand a day. So I ride a BMW. It suits me.

I bought the K12S because it is simply the best motorcycle I have ever ridden and despite it's more sporty look and feel, I went with it because of how it performs.

Types...bah...I broke the mold!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Impulse buyer, exactly my sentiments, well-put.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:30 am

I moved from a Ducati ST sports tourer to the K1200S.

Tim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:38 am
Addict

my first bike was a r1150r, 3 months and 3300 miles later i upgraded to a k1200rs, 4 years and 40,000 miles later i upgraded to an "S". the RS was a great bike but lacked the high speed performance the "S" offers. while i don't ride with sport bikes i don't like not having the power available to keep up and overtake if i choose too. the "S" offers me all the power i need to keep up with any zx1400 or busa but also provides the comfort to ride all day along with creature comforts like esa, heated grips, etc. a few weeks ago i was cruisng at about 90mph when a gsxr 1000 blows by me.....i accelerate and blow by him. when he finally catches me at a stop light he's shocked to see i'm riding a BMW. at a glance i'm definately a pipe and slippers guy but in reality i'm a closet sport bike type of guy i just want to be comfortable doing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode