Dunlop Qualifiers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Question Dunlop Qualifiers

I'm signed up for a Keith Code school in August.They offer great deals on Dunlop Qualifiers for track use.As far as I know Dunlop Qualifiers are not on BMW's list of approved tires for the K1200S.Does anyone have experience of this tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Is there a reason why it would matter if they're not on the "BMW approved list"?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 3:40 pm
Rookie

The metzler M3 is not on the list, but worked GREAT on my bike, except that they were SHOT in 1900 miles.

Now: K1200s
Then:
Zx-11
95 GpZ 1100
GS 1150ESE
86 Gpz 1100
K 1000rs
Gpz 750 T
xs 1100 ms
xj 1100

"there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 4:19 pm
Enthusiast

Qualifiers are ok!

Just got back from Mid-Ohio where my friend on his KS was running Qualifiers and absolutely raved about how little wear they showed and how grippy they were. I ran 208's only because at the time my dealer was out, but I'll be using the qualifiers next track days in September on both of my S bikes.

Jimmy Zee

'99 R1100S (race-ready)
2000.5 Aprilia Mille
'05 K1200S (outta the box almost race-ready!)

Cage: '06 MZ4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:21 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabexbx
Is there a reason why it would matter if they're not on the "BMW approved list"?
After talking to Metzeler I don't think it's BMW who puts tires on a list, it's the tire manufacturer. M3's are going thru the homolagation process at Metezler, don't understand exactly what that means, but they will then be "approved" for the KS.

Bernie
2005-K1200S-Indigo Blue
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:34 am

I didn't know there was such a thing. I just always bought tires that fit/same size as stock. If it was a 180/55 and 120/70, or whatever depending on the bike, I bought it. I'm throwing on some Z6's next.

As far as track tires go, I had good experience with the Michelin DOT race tire, Power Race might be the name. I was able to use if for a track day and still have some decent road use left on them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 7:43 am
Addict

I wouldn't worry about it either...as long as their round, I don't see an issue.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 9:22 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I wouldn't worry about it either...as long as their round, I don't see an issue.
I would tend to agree, but we do know that the M1 for the KS was constructed differently, using rayon in the side walls,and was "B" coded. Would it make a difference if you ran a non "B: code tire? I know several that have and suffered no ill effects. So just what does homolagation mean for the M3. I have never heard of other tire manufactures doing this.

Bernie
2005-K1200S-Indigo Blue
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 9:31 am
Addict

Well I can say this...the Z6 I bought at the dealer for my bike lasted 3200 before the cords were showing and it was the heavy duty one.

I bought just a standard Z6 to replace it with - so far a little over 3k on it and it looks like I'll get another 1500 or so...conspiricy theory?

Last edited by sportrider; Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:53 am.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:33 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabexbx
I have no idea how BMW selects tire manufacturers or whether manufacturers select BMW.The only reason I mentioned it was BMW,on their main web site, show 3 manufacturers,Michelin,Bridgestone and Metzeler,whose tires they suggest.Of the 3, I've found Michelin Pilot Powers to have the longest life.The rear lasts about 4300 miles,the front about 5500 miles.I really don't care who the manufacturer is,I'd heard good things about the Qualifiers when used on other bikes thus the original question.In the meantime thanks to all who responded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode