Wind...yikes! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:15 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Wind...yikes!

I've has some close calls with the wind on the S.(maybe cause the fairing is solid?)

When I was in West Va a few weeks ago, I ended up in a bad storm and had to cross a bridge with real bad crosswinds.

I started out in the left lane, centered, by the time the wind was done with me, I was in the right lane, with a car inches away and couldn't do a thing about it.

I've had several "Oh' shit" moments since...

Anyone else had some close calls?

Seems the wind flys this bike like a kite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:28 pm
Enthusiast

Torque arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I've has some close calls with the wind on the S.(maybe cause the fairing is solid?)

When I was in West Va a few weeks ago, I ended up in a bad storm and had to cross a bridge with real bad crosswinds.

I started out in the left lane, centered, by the time the wind was done with me, I was in the right lane, with a car inches away and couldn't do a thing about it.

I've had several "Oh' shit" moments since...

Anyone else had some close calls?

Seems the wind flys this bike like a kite.
By comparison mine is more sensitive to the wind than the K/RS which is understandable because of the weight difference but have not experienced anything so dramatic as yoy on it yet. Wonder if that new torque arm and the quicker handling had anything to do with it.

Always a trade off of some type when we make a change, huh?

Doug
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Na, that was before the torque arm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:41 pm

..The Santa Ana Winds...

I had an experience once crossing over from the I-15 NB Freeway to I-10 WB in Ontario, CA. The location of this area is ideal for extreme winds when the Santa Ana winds are howling through the Cajon Pass at 60 to 85 mph+... The overpass connection is elevated about 75 feet in the air and the wind was whipping so bad that sand and dust was blowing OVER the TOP of the overpass...

I was on a (then new) 1991 Yamaha FZR-600R... Needless to say, for a second, I thought I was gonna die!! :wtf I had to just start on one side and power through to the 2nd without getting creamed by the other cage drivers and truckers.

It's just the nature of the Sportbike Beast and has nothing to do with BMW vs. Yamaha vs. Honda, etc. It's all about weight & wing area, err, side surface area of the vehicle.

I understand that truckers have a pretty tough time with wind, too...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 2:04 pm

About 10 years ago I was in a group of riders returning from Quebec. We were just north of the border in NH and it's fairly curvy there...nothing drastic, but you do have to lean. I was on an R1100RS - brand new. Husband is riding a bit behind me when he sees me take the curve and the wind blasts me from the side and straightens me out of my lean. Thus, I'm no longer turning, but going straight. And pointed off the road and actually went into the gravel shoulder which fell away rather sharply into a ravine only inches from my tires. He thought I was going over for sure, but I corrected and got back on the pavement.

When we stopped for the border crossing, some of our companions came over to talk to me about my great save. I think my heart was pounding so hard that I thought it might punch its way through my chest.

'06 K1200S (Granite Gray)
'95 Ducati Monster 900 (Red)
'98 BMW M3 Coupe (Estoril)
'88 BMW 325ix (Red)
'06 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (Some silly color name that should just be plain dark blue)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 2:47 pm
Addict

i don't think any bike except maybe the heaviest of cruisers is not going to be effected by high winds especially in the circumstances you describe. with that said i got caught in a thunderstorm about two weeks ago and the "S" did pretty good as I was cruising at 60 mph on I95 outside philly. i have no idea how fast the wind was blowing but i'd guess some of the gusts were 35-40 mph. i was surrounded by cages so there was little room for error. i could feel the wind hitting the bike and i had to make a few minor adjustments but never did the wind push me out of my travel path.

Last edited by wellcraft; Jun 29th, 2006 at 3:01 pm.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 8:59 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well, it was the first time in 35+ years of riding where I could not control the bike. There's no doubt in my mind, I would have creamed the car, if he didn't get
out of my way.

I also ride dirt bikes too and I could not have saved the bike if I wanted too!

I told my buddy when we stopped, if anything will kill me, it will be the wind, NOT a cage.

Most fairings have a slot or a hole, but the S has neither.

So if I'm a greasy spot on the road, you guys know why!

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:45 am
Addict

I hadn't noticed that my S is more sensitive to x-winds than my old RS... Both seem extremely stable imo... of course in storm winds any bike will be thrown from lane to lane and the only thing that will help will be if the bike weighs 400kgs!!!

Ride safe
/hass

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 9:56 am

I noticed it

Between my LT and the S I would have to say that the LT is a heck of lot more stable, granted girth and weight from the LT helps but still.

Depending on the car you get behind and the kind of wind from the Aerodynamics of that car/SUV/Truck the S fells way way too loose. If you are sport mode even worse. What's interesting is that is not like a side to side type movement, as you get on the LT sometimes or on my RT I used to have. No on the S is like this feeling of looseness from the BOTTOM, like the wind hits the bottom belly pan and lifts the bike UP!!!. That is the feeling I have.

I am getting used to it. But it sure has given me a couple of scares. I wonder if the new GT is like that.

I have been riding my LT for the last couple of days and man what a difference, is actually HARD to go from the S to the LT and back very strange and different feeling. Still I like the tranny on my LT better. Ever since I changed to the RED Synthetic stuff its very very smooth shifting. That clunk from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd on the S is weird.

Darcy Bastos
2006 K1200LT
Atlanta, GA
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2006, 10:14 am Thread Starter
Addict

Darcy,

Yea, kinda scarry...never experienced anything quite like it here in Georgia, but
up North, whoa...I may need to keep that extra 25 lbs that I've been trying to lose!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode