couple of questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 12:52 am Thread Starter

couple of questions

I noticed that there's hardly any braking power on the rear break is this normal? I was told that the front break engages the rear as well...

I scuffed the seat a little what's the best way to clean the seat?

I do my own stunts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 1:03 am
Just saying hey

The rear brake issue is not specific to your bike. This falls under the BMW adage, "They all do that". It takes a very hard stomp to get much use out of it. Fortunately the front brakes are so good and with very little dive it's not much of an issue.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 8:43 am
Rookie

It has a rear brake?????

Now: K1200s
Then:
Zx-11
95 GpZ 1100
GS 1150ESE
86 Gpz 1100
K 1000rs
Gpz 750 T
xs 1100 ms
xj 1100

"there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots"...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 9:39 pm

Fully Agreed

Agreed with belga, the rear brake sure feels like it has NO stopping power. Got used to using the rear lever a lot on my LT with the linked brakes. I hardly use my front brakes on my LT I use my rear brakes, thought myself how to use it.

But when I ride the S I have to re-teach myself because they are so different.

On the "They all do that" expression.......I am getting really really FED UP with that, we pay enough money for these bikes I wish we could get a more "educated" answers. I am not sure where that comes from NA or the Dealers, but I also drive BMW's only and the level of people and answers you get at the car dealerships is a lot better.

Darcy Bastos
2006 K1200LT
Atlanta, GA
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm
Just saying hey

Gets better...

I said the same thing of my rear brake when I first got the bike. Now, after 3500mi, it is much better and works well for trail braking. I tend to apply the rear along with the front lever out of habit with the other bikes I ride. It's now as strong as any other sport bike brake I've used.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by belga1976
I noticed that there's hardly any braking power on the rear break is this normal?...
My '06 rear brake is similar. If it's any consolation the *overall* braking is the best I've ever experienced. Aggressive braking feels like I dropped an anchor.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 9:45 am

do a little search on the site
ive solved this problem (BMW probably won't)
the thing is that when the lever turns , the spring run's out of room to move so it compresses againt's itself and it doesn't have room to do so!!!!
you can file the sides where the spring touches so it can extend a little more
and you will see that the spring (when compressing) pushes down on to the aluminum and it ends up with a lot of mesh ,
now this mesh if rubbing agains't the aluminum mount when the pedal pivot's, so it make the pedal hard to move since it rubs
since mine has been done this winter ive got 6000 km done and it's flawless and never been this good since the bike was new.
now i only have 11000 km on it

if you have questions , take the thing apart , it's pretty simple
CHEERS STROKER
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker
do a little search on the site
ive solved this problem (BMW probably won't)
the thing is that when the lever turns , the spring run's out of room to move so it compresses againt's itself and it doesn't have room to do so!!!!
you can file the sides where the spring touches so it can extend a little more
and you will see that the spring (when compressing) pushes down on to the aluminum and it ends up with a lot of mesh ,
now this mesh if rubbing agains't the aluminum mount when the pedal pivot's, so it make the pedal hard to move since it rubs
since mine has been done this winter ive got 6000 km done and it's flawless and never been this good since the bike was new.
now i only have 11000 km on it

if you have questions , take the thing apart , it's pretty simple
CHEERS STROKER
Not exactly sure what you're saying here, Stroker. Can you please either clarify, post pics, or both? Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by belga1976
I noticed that there's hardly any braking power on the rear break is this normal? I was told that the front break engages the rear as well...

I scuffed the seat a little what's the best way to clean the seat?
It's not you, it's the S/R, and many of the new gen of BMW bikes w/the current braking system. Don't expect to be able to hold the bike on a steep hill w/just the rear.

As for the seat, what do you mean by "scuffed?" Does it have a mark in it where something rubbed off on it, like the sole of your sneakers? Does it have a scratch? A picture might be helpful, but if it's just a matter of some kind of dirt or smudge on it, then just use any good vinyl cleaner. NB: Whichever cleaner you decide to try, first try a little dab of it on the underside of the seat where the vinyl covering overlaps so that you can determine whether or not the cleaner is safe for the particular vinyl that's used on BMW seat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:09 am

70% Front Braking...

In the "world of sportbikes", fully 70% of the braking is to be done on the front and the remainder on the rear. In the newer generation bikes (i.e. GSXR1000RR, CBR1000RR, ZX-10RR, K1200S, etc.) they tilt towards the 80% level for the front. The only difference in BMW vs. the Jap bikes is that the Jap bikes go to the lovely "locked-up" look quicker when you apply too much while nothing seems to change for you velocity-wise.

Check out "A Twist of the Wrist" (http://www.themotorbookstore.com/twisofwrisdv.html), which was made in 1989(?), but still applies to all street riding and track days alike. There is a demostration within the video that shows the minimum stopping distance for the front brake only and the rear brake only. The differences will amaze you.

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode