someone explain my good fortune please! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

someone explain my good fortune please!

I'm bearing down on 130mph westbound I-66 through rural Virginia, virtually no traffic, on my 1100S and my buddy's on my K12S a few hundred yards behind me. I THOUGHT I had this all figured out, great sight lines, it's not like I haven't been on this road a few times before. All of a sudden, in the median about a half mile away, behind a slight mound, is one of Virginia's finest, and I do mean finest (love this guy and never even met him) running radar, facing me of course. I throttle down pretty quickly, but no braking, just a nice de-cellaration and I'm doing about 75-80 when I pass his position. Spped limit's 65 by the way. I know I'm getting popped, zero defense for you can't defend what's indefensable, right. But wait a second, I look, and I look, and I look some more and he never came out! WTF? Happy Independence Day to me, I reckon, but if there's anyone out here that can give me a reasonable explanation as to why I'm not facing a $2,500 fine and loss of license, any LEO's that can determine if maybe, just maybe, the guy never got a read on either one of us...I'd love to know. I always thought that if you could see them, it was too late, they had ya. A buck thirty's booking and it LOOKS like you're booking. I don't know, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this very rare phenomena. Thanks in advance for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 5:28 pm
Veteran

Jimmy,
If it makes you feel better, I emailed this to VA's finest. You should be getting a call soon.
Your bud,
Maybe you were just wishing you were going 130 when it was closer to 70. :-)

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Enthusiast

This happened to me once in Illinois on my GT ,except i was up to an indicated 150,only the second time I'd had her this fast,wanted to see if she'd hit 160.I spotted him in the median and started slowing down.No other cars or traffic on the road but me and the wife.She said she was at least running 100.I don't know maybe he was a rider himself,maybe because no one else was on the road.I almost wanted to go back and thank him but hell no.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

just kiddin'

Really, Alli, I meant to say I was going 13 over the speed limit, NOT 130...really...
Eddy, I know what you mean, I wanted to thank him also, but then again, what do they say? Discretion is the better part of valor?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Talking

If they were runing regular rader (doppler) then you need to be within 100yds. for a good reading. IF it was laser, then thank them for being kind.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 6:23 pm

I have a Stalker 2 Ka rader gun and actually its pretty hard to get a lock on a fast moving bike sometimes. We have done some speed runs and both the bike and the operator of the gun have to be pretty still to get consistant "lock" so maybe you just got lucky .....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:04 pm
Statmaster

It must have been the holidays. I got tagged for doing 56 in a 35 and he just gave me a warning.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:32 pm

I got the ticket you were SUPPOSED to get you bastard!

82 in a 55

Thanks...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:36 pm

the answer is that you werent worth going after. if you were going 120 it probably would have taken at least 1-1.5 miles to catch up with you if you were kind enough to slow down to 100. most guys on bikes will either maintain their speed or increase their speed after passing an officer running radar/lidar. also dont forget that most crown vics will top out right around 120-130 anyway. if you're speeding today, you'll be speeding tomorrow.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2006, 8:03 pm

good info - next time I'll run!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode