Gerbings wiring installation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Gerbings wiring installation

I know it's a bit early to be talking about heated gear but if anyone is contemplating using Gerbings heated wear and is reluctant to power it through the cranky canbus/accessory socket, I just installed their harness directly to my battery and I wanted to tell you that although the wire they provide seems short (they were probably more used to an underseat battery) I figured out a perfect and elegant solution. I was so pleased I forgot to take pictures but if you're interested I could shoot some next time I take the plastic off to service my air filter. Just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Addict

I hooked my harness directly to the battery also, but I would be interested in seeing how you did yours.

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

gerbings wiring

Well, that's enough interest for me - I'll take some shots and post 'em as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:42 pm

My jacket needed 6.8 amps, 1.8 more than the outlet would supply. Over 5 amps and it shuts off. I tried to find out if the computer could be reset to allow more amps but no one knew how to do that. So, I too wired it directly to the battery as my Sirius radio is also. Works great.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:13 am

I have the Gerbings jacket liner (77 watts), gloves (22 watts/pair), pants (44 watts), and socks (22 watts/pair), for a total of 165 watts.

The K1200S alternator is 580 watts at 42 amps, and the battery capacity is 14 amp-hours.

Does anybody know what the sustainable power drain is, assuming direct wiring to the battery? Just trying to figure out how much of my Gerbings stuff I can connect. Yes, it's hot now, just looking ahead to the winter
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Gerbing power drain

You can hook it all up and have no issues as long as the bike is running. If you shut the bike off. It could drain the battery over time. But is you shut it off, you are getting off anyway right?

2009 K1300S Lava Orange
2005 K1200s Indigo Blue

Electronic Cruise Control
Evoluzione racing air filters
Remus Power Cone muffer

2002 Pacific Blue K1200RS
Remus Exhaust
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:30 pm

can you tell or show me how you wired the harness and where you left the plugs?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I used the Gerbing Battery Harness: http://www.gerbing.com/acc/accprod.html#batharness

Just removed the black battery cover on top of the gas tank, unscrewed the battery terminals and put the screws back through the eyelets on the Gerbing harness. I then routed the wires around the left and right sides of the battery. The connector I left sticking out slightly at the top of the black battery cover.

There are better ways to route it, such as below the seat near the current accessory plug location. I might do that in the future, but I did a few test rides and it doesn't interfere with anything in the current location.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:23 pm

thanks for the info

i just ordered the armored jacket & pants/gloves/socks for my k12s too. i appreciate the feedback on the & would love to hear how others wired up the sysem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:42 pm

I went straight to the battery using the Warm & Safe wiring. Routed the wires behind the upper panel and stubbed the connector out next to the lower edge of the upper panel where the torx screw fastens the panel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode