Bike software updated today - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Bike software updated today

I took my '06 k12s to the dealer today to get the banjo bolt and valve check interval recall items attended to.
The valve check interval fix is actually the upgrade to ver 6 software which is supposed to help the low rpm throttle response. It all went fine on my bike and does seem alot better. Not perfect, but much better. The bike used to jump idle between 1400 and 1600. Now it idles between 1100 and 1200. Much smoother but still a little jumpy. I guess that is normal. The low speed throttle response it smoother, but still not exactly smooth, again, I think this is normal. My LCD now read N instead of 0 as before. Also the selection that said Oil ------ is gone.
I know all of this is old news to alot of you, but wanted to share my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:49 pm
Enthusiast

Hey, I'm just glad that you had a good experience with the updates. Not everyone has had your luck, including myself...but I haven't given up hope just yet.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:02 am
Veteran

My 6.0 "upgrade" is still a throttle toggle switch. Unrideable under 50 mph, unless you like your neck snapping back and forth the whole time.

2005 BMW K1200S - Gray
2004 BMW K1200RS Zebra, sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catatafish
My 6.0 "upgrade" is still a throttle toggle switch. Unrideable under 50 mph, unless you like your neck snapping back and forth the whole time.
"unrideable"? wow. I can only suggest to take it to a different dealer, as that is definitely not normal.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:11 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytracer
I took my '06 k12s to the dealer today to get the banjo bolt and valve check interval recall items attended to.
The valve check interval fix is actually the upgrade to ver 6 software which is supposed to help the low rpm throttle response. It all went fine on my bike and does seem alot better. Not perfect, but much better. The bike used to jump idle between 1400 and 1600. Now it idles between 1100 and 1200. Much smoother but still a little jumpy. I guess that is normal. The low speed throttle response it smoother, but still not exactly smooth, again, I think this is normal. My LCD now read N instead of 0 as before. Also the selection that said Oil ------ is gone. I know all of this is old news to alot of you, but wanted to share my experience.
I had the 6.0 update and recalls done during my service yesterday. All the same experiences as you describe and one other.
I have a Remus slip on and I used to get the occasional pop on deceleration. I was hoping the 6.0 update would help clear that up but although most of the update has been positive, during my 30 mile ride home yesterday, I noticed I have allot of popping on almost every deceleration now. I wonder if it's running too rich now?
I'm hoping it will get better as the computer adjusts things over time but my guess is it wont. I'll check all my exhaust connections for any possible air leaks into the can but other than that, what can I do but hope it gets better?

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:47 am
Addict

Welcome to the club Mark...now you know why we've been bitching since getting the latest software. There is nothing you can do, other than put the stock pipe back on to subdue the ridiculous backfiring.

The backfiring combined with the clunky tranny...I'm back to my old harley riding days again!

How did the software make it through quality control...that's what I want to know! They had to notice it...no?

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Yes, I do have some serious backfiring and popping now, but I dont mind it too much. I think they still have some work to do to get the EFI and fuel/air mixture correct. Hopefully a future update will resolve it. And yes, the tranny is clunky, but all the positives outweigh a few negatives for me.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
I had the 6.0 update and recalls done during my service yesterday. All the same experiences as you describe and one other.
I have a Remus slip on and I used to get the occasional pop on deceleration. I was hoping the 6.0 update would help clear that up but although most of the update has been positive, during my 30 mile ride home yesterday, I noticed I have allot of popping on almost every deceleration now. I wonder if it's running too rich now?
I'm hoping it will get better as the computer adjusts things over time but my guess is it wont. I'll check all my exhaust connections for any possible air leaks into the can but other than that, what can I do but hope it gets better?

Popping on decel is from being to lean, not to rich.

This is where the Dimsport and a good tuner comes into play. Or hopefully the next update (7.0 ? ) will richen things up a little.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Welcome to the club Mark...now you know why we've been bitching since getting the latest software. There is nothing you can do, other than put the stock pipe back on to subdue the ridiculous backfiring.

The backfiring combined with the clunky tranny...I'm back to my old harley riding days again!
Don't get me wrong, I still love my KS. Nothing in life is perfect but for me, the positives of the KS and most BMW motorcycles in general, far outweigh the few negitives which make up the character of the machine. Overall, I think the 6.0 was an improvement in throttle response. I'll need more miles to be sure.

However, I just don't understand why the popping on deceleration has gotten soooo much worse following the update.

If an adjustment to the software and electronic fuel control can make it worse, then it seems logical that an appropriate re-adjustment to the system should make it better.
For all the money, resources and engineering "know-how" at BMW's disposal, I see no reason why they can't get this right.
If past history is an indicator of the future, my guess is that small (aftermarket) companies (i.e. dynojet/power-commander) will solve these issues before BMW will. In my opinion, that's inexcusable. No one should have to spend hundreds of dollars in the aftermarket modifying their brand new 17,000+ dollar BMW so it will run correctly.

I can live with the popping for now as it doesn't really effect performance but I shouldn't have to. Frankly, I think it's embarrassing to be decelerating in and around town on my premium European motorcycle popping and garbling my way to a stop.

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Addict

If you want to know why it does it, talk to Ken at Evoluzione - he's got the scoop.

There is no fix available right now...I'll just leave it at that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode