Custom Seat? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Custom Seat?

I'm starting to put miles on my K1200S and I'm not crazy about the stock seat. Anyone have a custom seat for this machine? Recommendations?

'05 K1200S
'05 FJR1300
'05 MV Agusta F4-1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:13 pm
DSS

I just got my Mayer saddle. Very firm, but wider are like the others, breaking in. This is my third Rock Mayer. If it performs lie the others two I'll be a happy man.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:24 am

K-S Seat

Just ordered Rick Mayer seat after meeting him at MOA past weekend. He had his own k1200s there with his seat so I could actually try seat on same bike. I brought my bike in to the vendor area and tried both side by side. I've tried Corbin (not owned, just tried), had Sargent, and the Mayer was a no brainer. His seat was leather and I ordered same. I've done 650 miles on the stock seat which I thought wasn't bad, butt....... He takes measurements, picture of you on bike, asks preferences and complaints, price reasonable.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1949
Just ordered Rick Mayer seat after meeting him at MOA past weekend. He had his own k1200s there with his seat so I could actually try seat on same bike. I brought my bike in to the vendor area and tried both side by side. I've tried Corbin (not owned, just tried), had Sargent, and the Mayer was a no brainer. His seat was leather and I ordered same. I've done 650 miles on the stock seat which I thought wasn't bad, butt....... He takes measurements, picture of you on bike, asks preferences and complaints, price reasonable.
Yeah, I saw this at MOA, too. Looked nice. I'm kicking myself for not springing for one right there. It wasn't until my butt split in two on the way home that I decided to upgrade. I've heard some bad stories about Rick, but it seems like he's got the best seat for the S.

Nice rally, crappy weather.

'05 K1200S
'05 FJR1300
'05 MV Agusta F4-1000S
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:24 am

K12S Seat

Check out Bill Mayer Saddles. His shop is just north of LA. I took my S to him this spring and he did a really nice job getting me comfy. On his website you'll see pics of my blue sweetie. I liked Ricks seat except that he has stiching in the seat area and that seemed a good way for moisture to enter. I chose the leather and couldn't be happier.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmr
Check out Bill Mayer Saddles. His shop is just north of LA. I took my S to him this spring and he did a really nice job getting me comfy. On his website you'll see pics of my blue sweetie. I liked Ricks seat except that he has stiching in the seat area and that seemed a good way for moisture to enter. I chose the leather and couldn't be happier.
Ah...

I didn't realize that Bill had an application for the S. I'll check the website again and give him a call. It'll have to be a mail-in transaction though. I'm in New Jersey.

Thanks!!

'05 K1200S
'05 FJR1300
'05 MV Agusta F4-1000S
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Just ordered a Bill Mayer seat.

Oh and by the way... the OEM "low" seat is much less comfy than the standard seat. They accomplish the lowered height by simply removing most of the padding on the sides. This happens to be right where the buggar hurts!

1/2 the problem could be solved by sticking with the standard height seat.

'05 K1200S
'05 FJR1300
'05 MV Agusta F4-1000S
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:28 pm
Veteran

Anyone try a Kontour seat yet?? http://kontourseat.com/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 4:26 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogan
Just ordered a Bill Mayer seat.

Oh and by the way... the OEM "low" seat is much less comfy than the standard seat. They accomplish the lowered height by simply removing most of the padding on the sides. This happens to be right where the buggar hurts!

1/2 the problem could be solved by sticking with the standard height seat.
How can you see if you have a stock or lower seat? Bought my 05 bike with 2500 miles on it and suspect I have the lower seat but am unsure.

[edit: I bought my bike used so don't know if the factory seat has been replaced]

Also - is the leg rooom for the passenger less with the lower seat?

Ride safe
/hass

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by hass; Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:12 am.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:48 am
Addict

it's my understanding all "S" bikes come with the standard seat and if you want the lower seat you have to order it. i don't understand why bike manufacturers don't simply put comfortable seats on their bikes from the factory or at least make them an option. why not team up with sargeant or some other seat manufacturer and offer a comfort seat as an option. i hated the seat on my 2003 RS because it felt like i was sitting on a cinder block ater a couple hours of riding. the "S" seat is a bit better but i've still had my butt hurt after several hours of riding but i really don't take long trips that would justify coughing up a grand for an after market seat.

Last edited by wellcraft; Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:54 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode