ESA vs manual settings ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

ESA vs manual settings ?

Hi

Does a K12S without ESA have the exact same suspension settings as a bike with ESA ?. But manual off coarse.

br Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 3:42 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratemut
Hi

Does a K12S without ESA have the exact same suspension settings as a bike with ESA ?. But manual off coarse. br Michael
In one manner of speaking, Yes, manual gives you the ability to have the same settings as ESA however, that's not a very practical answer.
The ESA settings are preprogrammed and limited to the options available.
The manual suspension can be adjusted to your liking but you have to physically dial it in. Your settings may come close to any one of the ESA presets but that would just be coincidence.
The manual suspension offers more flexibility and can be tailored almost exactly to ones needs while the ESA offers convenience and general settings that work well in most street riding situations.
At least thats my take on it.

Personally, I like the ESA. I just wish it had be developed for the KS using Ohlins hardware.

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
Personally, I like the ESA. I just wish it had be developed for the KS using Ohlins hardware.
Coming off an Ohlins-equipped Aprilia I'll second that opinion!

Ride safe
/hass

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:03 am
Rookie

Well at least the ESA is from WP suspensions which has made a good name for themselves in the off-road market. That is what I have on my KTM 950. Of course KTM owns the company. I think that it will at least lend itself to rebuilds well and maybe even a little more fine tuning at that point. Not sure that the KS would be a great deal different in the handling department on the street with the swap out from WP to Ohlins. I will concur that when I changed a rear Showa on a Ducati 996 I had with an Ohlins unit I was shocked at the difference. Total adjustability and smoothness I have never felt.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:31 am
Veteran

The non-ESA bike has no front rebound damping adjustment I believe. It might be the front compression damping, but it the manual version is definitely missing one of the two.

2005 BMW K1200S - Gray
2004 BMW K1200RS Zebra, sold
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:10 pm
Maladroit

My bike is non-esa, i may be wrong but front and rear appear to be adjustable for preload only, the front for sure.

The front would be very tough to adjust (clamp and collar) but the rear is pretty easy to do, though it took me until my second track day to find that the reason the rear would leave the ground when i hit the banking @ tws was due to too much (preload)

At first, the front suspension was very stiff but 11k miles later is pretty good, even on
moderately bumpy roads. I have a suspicion that both ends are slightly oversprung
and underdamped, bmws standard suspension setting

I had ordered ESA, but the blue grew on me and when someone else
ahead of me canceled their order.....

Eric
Austin
r12gs,k12s
Waste some time watching my videos at google or youtube
"I hate every bone in your body, except mine" -Willie Nelson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode