Aux. Fuel Cell - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Aux. Fuel Cell

Anyone put one on a K1200S?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I'm thinking about putting one on my GT....but it will have to be a first rate piece of work....probably gonna be expensive. New ones are coming on the market all the time..so search the web.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogan
Anyone put one on a K1200S?
Aux fuel cell? How about one of those 5 gallon aluminum tanks that looks like it came out of a race car bolted right to the rear luggage rack which shouldn't have been installed either?

No offense but are you trying to kill the spirt of this bike?

I swear, I've seen too many pics of K1200S's with ridiculously high bar backs, peg lowering kits. big after-market wind screens, etc, etc, etc. Now folks are thinking of putting an Aux Fuel Cell on it?

I don't get it. It's a fast, great handling, comfortable, sport / sport touring bike. Not a long distance mile muncher. There are many other choices in the BMW line and among other makes available for the long distance, mostly highway riding thing. Why spend so much time and money trying to make this bike something it's not?

Nobody buys a beautiful Thoroughbred Race Horse to try and make it pull a produce cart.

Last edited by mark5lam; Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:45 am
Addict

mark5lam, i agree with you i've seen to many pictures of guys putting horribly ugly, bulky and cumbersome looking junk on their "S" bikes that take away from the bikes styling and clean lines.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:50 am Thread Starter

I know a fella that uses his Blackbird for Ironbutt. It's outfitted with necessary gear for distance riding and is a formidable platform for high speed distance riding. Interestingly, the power envelope of the K12S is almost identicle to the Blackbird.

I probably won't opt for it, but was curious if anyone has gone down this road with the S.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Quote:
I know a fella that uses his Blackbird for Ironbutt. It's outfitted with necessary gear for distance riding and is a formidable platform for high speed distance riding. Interestingly, the power envelope of the K12S is almost identicle to the Blackbird.

I probably won't opt for it, but was curious if anyone has gone down this road with the S.
I say get a GT or similar. Hell, a Goldwing has a fantastic and powerful motor and is much better suited to that type of riding.

I guess my point was that these mods (i.e. bar backs, peg lowering kits, aux fuel cell, etc...) modify the character and performance attributes of the bike in an adverse manner. While these mods may make the bike more comfortable for some, they generally impose a negitive effect on the handling, ground clearance, appearance, and or overall "performance feel" of the bike.

It just seems silly to me to purchase a bike thats designed for specific performance then spend a bunch of cash and energy dulling those performance characteristics just to own one and be able to tolerate riding it.

I'm not trying to say what I think people should or shouldn't do. I'm simply saying I don't get it. Never the less, it's a wonderful thing living in a free country. We can all spend our money and time as the heart desires. Some people actually like Ketchup on hot dogs too and I don't get that either. Still, If you roll up to my place in the sweltering heat with all those misunderstood farkles on your KS, I'll be happy to offer you a cold drink of water, ice-tea, beer, etc., a spot to cool your heals and if you must put Ketchup on your hot dog, I have that too.

Maybe while you're relaxing and drinking your cool beverage you'll offer some insight as to why you didn't just purchase a bike that was a better fit for your needs in the first place.

JMHO folks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:03 pm

Unless your;

a.) crossing Death Valley and the nearest station is 300 miles awway
b.) trying to get the jump on gas prices before they go up(hoarder)

then, I don't get it either...

What...? He who dies with the biggest fuel tank wins?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Guess there aren't any Iron Butt participants on this forum. I enjoy long distance riding that's coupled with twisties and high speed stints. That's not the domain of the Goldwing or other tourers. It could be owned by the up and coming hyper-tourer--the K1200S!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Guess there aren't any Iron Butt participants on this forum. I enjoy long distance riding that's coupled with twisties and high speed stints. That's not the domain of the Goldwing or other tourers. It could be owned by the up and coming hyper-tourer--the K1200S!
What ever. Tell it to the hand...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:44 pm
Rookie

I bought mine to take trips on as well as carve corners. My first ride from the dealership to the house was 1908 miles. While I know I will not add an aux fuel cell the bike is a BMW regardless of its capabilities in the sporting arena. With that being said I expect it to be able to lay down 600 plus mile days without a complaint. As Mogan states the plus is being able to ride the twisty sections on such a trip with a weapon like this. That only made me want it more.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode