ESA and aftermarket shocks - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

ESA and aftermarket shocks

Does anyone know if any of the usual suspects (Ohlins, Wilbers, Works, etc.) have come up with replacement shocks for ESA-equiped bikes?

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 2:36 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Does anyone know if any of the usual suspects (Ohlins, Wilbers, Works, etc.) have come up with replacement shocks for ESA-equiped bikes?
Good question. Since it's my understanding the OEM ESA shocks on the K1200S are manufactured by Works Performance that should answer one of three.

Two: Wilbers unknown

Three: I know Ohlins makes a similar "ESA" type of suspension system but I don't know if they have shocks that are compatable with the BMW ESA system yet. Ohlins would have to work with BMW to match the pre-programed BMW ESA presets to their shocks.

I hope that Ohlins does offer them in the future but thinking of what they'll charge for them is frightening.

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
Good question. Since it's my understanding the OEM ESA shocks on the K1200S are manufactured by Works Performance that should answer one of three.
I think it's White Power Suspension. They claim to have developed the ESA system for BMW. Found this at www.bmwst.com while searching Google on this topic.

http://www.wpsuspension.biz/products/bmw_products.php

Quote:
Two: Wilbers unknown

Three: I know Ohlins makes a similar "ESA" type of suspension system but I don't know if they have shocks that are compatable with the BMW ESA system yet. Ohlins would have to work with BMW to match the pre-programed BMW ESA presets to their shocks.

I hope that Ohlins does offer them in the future but thinking of what they'll charge for them is frightening.
Yeah, but what about what BMW wants for their replacements? Ugh!

Rear (PN: 33537659814): $1995 (MSRP)
Front (PN: 31427687438): $867 (MSRP)

Sure, I can save 20% at BMW of Chicago, but jeez, I'm still looking at upwards of $2300 for shocks. I'd think that Ohlins, Wilburs, Works, and now that I've found WP Suspension, they might make something for us that is 1) better and 2) similarly priced

Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:28 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I think it's White Power Suspension. They claim to have developed the ESA system for BMW.
"White Power Suspension",.....Yeah, that's what I meant

I thought WP was "Works Performance." While there is a "Works Performance" and they do make shocks for BMW's, in this case, I went to the WP website you describe and initally didn't see where they refer to themselves as "White Power." I did see a reference to "Wim Peters’ shocks."

Anyway, reading through the company history they state the following: "The white springs also introduced the original brand name of "White Power" which we are not using actively in the market anymore since 1991."

I can only assume they dropped the "White Power" name in the wake of political correctness that has flooded and diluted our society. But I digress... Apparently the company only refers to themselves as WP now and claims to be an OEM supplier to BMW (among other brands).

Well, at least between the two of us (mostly your input) we have about half the info we were looking for.

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S

Last edited by mark5lam; Jul 30th, 2006 at 4:47 pm.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:51 pm
Enthusiast

I wrote to Klaus some weeks ago about wilbers for the K12R. He does have that ability! In fact,I think Naked rider put them on his K12R. There were not the Electronic adjustable type however.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:20 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
I wrote to Klaus some weeks ago about wilbers for the K12R. He does have that ability! In fact,I think Naked rider put them on his K12R. There were not the Electronic adjustable type however.

Race is right. I put Wilbers on my K1200R. They came at a great time - right before my first track day.

I found that they made a HUGE difference in control. With the stock suspention I had to set the preload way up there to get the control I wanted in turns. Bummer is that now you have a bumpier ride when you do that.

With the Wilbers I had the same level of control with the preload in a more reasonable setting. MUCH better ride due to that. I would highly recommend it but it's a real squeeze in the back (tight fit). The dealer wasn't real happy with how long it took to put them on since they charge a flat rate.

'08 Megamoto
'08 K1200S
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:01 am

I'm not a moderator nor am I black, but let's keep the racist "dilute our society" crap off this nice website.

Thanks.

'05 K1200S
'05 FJR1300
'05 MV Agusta F4-1000S
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:13 am
Addict

how come ESA which is a 750 option costs almost 3 grand to replace????? i don't understand why it only costs 750 to get a bike with ESA but after the shocks go bad it costs damn near 3 grand to replace them. what's the life expectancy of the factory shocks? i put 44,000 miles on my KRS and never had a problem with the shocks....should i expect the same with the ESA???? i'm thinking if i had to spend 3 grand on shocks i'd rather trade the bike in and use the 3 grand as a down payment on something new without ESA.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:17 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogan
I'm not a moderator nor am I black, but let's keep the racist "dilute our society" crap off this nice website.

Thanks.

I believe he was talking about the overreaching state political correctness we live with today and not a commentary racial diversity in that statement. Or, at least that's how I read it.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:27 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
how come ESA which is a 750 option costs almost 3 grand to replace????? i don't understand why it only costs 750 to get a bike with ESA but after the shocks go bad it costs damn near 3 grand to replace them. what's the life expectancy of the factory shocks? i put 44,000 miles on my KRS and never had a problem with the shocks....should i expect the same with the ESA???? i'm thinking if i had to spend 3 grand on shocks i'd rather trade the bike in and use the 3 grand as a down payment on something new without ESA.
The stock shocks (non-ESA) are $727 for the rear, and $492 for the front. So you're almost halfway there anyway (well, a bit more than a third anyway). Which is the reason why I'm asking if there are aftermarket shocks that could be better (like Ohlins or Wilbers) than the stock shocks.

Last edited by eljeffe; Jul 31st, 2006 at 9:35 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode