Stoppie Gone Bad(Video) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:11 am Thread Starter
Addict

Stoppie Gone Bad(Video)

I filmed this rider in front of me on a recent trip to West Virginia.

Surprisingly, The guy ended up o.k - just bruises, but was body slammed
across the RR tracks with his back. $1500 damage to a new 06 CBR 1000. When I got to him, I thought he was dead - took 20 minutes or so before he could stand up on his own.(If you listen closely, you can hear my reaction, even through the helmet)

http://users.adelphia.net/~gstanis/temp/MCCrash3.wmv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:40 am
Statmaster

Ugh! That's gonna leave a mark!

Heard your reaction. It's like you couldn't believe what was happening in front of you.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:56 am Thread Starter
Addict

I didn't think the curve was that bad, but the lead guy on a Busa w/$10,000
worth of suspensoin/performance mods blew the curve too, and he's a real good rider. The Trooper that arrived on the scene told us that about 20 bikes a year go down there.
Thank god I have a BMW!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 7:20 am
Enthusiast

Between the road marking paint and the potentially "friction free" rail lines I'm not surprised that a good few bikes go down here. Looks like the guy that crashed has freaked, hit the anchors hard, his weight has gone forward and he's hung onto the brake too long. Also looks like there's a dropoff close to where he ceased to procede. This corner would be brown trouser stuff in the wet methinks - not a good place to get it wrong - not a soft landing site anywhere.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:00 pm

:wtf
"Owww! My Pancreas!"
That was funny, in a sick kinda way. Looks like those guys could use some riding tips from Danny Eslick (#69). He just drags the back end around with heavy rear braking. Loads of fun to watch!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:38 pm
Addict

brakes/

did he brake in the corner? That's a no no...unless you're riding a bmw. Predictable results.

I took an msf in January and they say if it feels like you won't make it in the curve, push, lean and look at the desired outcome and the bike will go.

Having said that, the bikes were pretty hot into the corner. I guess that's another reason I don't like "group rides" where you have some champion in the lead and everyone has to catch up to him or ride his pace. Not a good situation. If the busa had 10k in suspension upgrades then he shouldn't have been setting pace.

The video is compelling, I'm sending it to all my cycling friends.

Thanks,

Gravity
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I posted it to be used as a learning exercise...BMW has stepped up to a new level with the S, the R and the GT. The pipe and slippers brigade of years ago, ain't gonna cut it now - there's a whole new level of BMW riders emerging!

Not only are we gonna rock your world, we gonna beat your world !!(like a bad habit)

Can I get an amen brotha?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:29 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I didn't think the curve was that bad, but the lead guy on a Busa w/$10,000
worth of suspensoin/performance mods blew the curve too, and he's a real good rider. The Trooper that arrived on the scene told us that about 20 bikes a year go down there.
Thank god I have a BMW!
Thanks for posting. Looked like a sneaky curve, with rail tracks at an angle crossing the road, adding to the mix. Watched again to see how the first rider messed up as well. True about BMW's. Good point. Looks like he hit the rails hard. Side question... what wind screen are you using in the vid?

Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:15 pm
Rider Journeyman

It looks like he noticed the Busa slipping on the tracks and when he tried to slow for the tracks he down shifted at too high an rpm (he doesn't have a slipper clutch).

After his rear tire skipped sideways he freaked and grabbed a fist full of front brake.

He did try to modulate the brake but ran out of road.

Where is this road?

Railroad tracks are like, well,....trolls. They hide in weird places and pop out and demand something to pass, such as a demonstration of skill.

Nancy and I were lane splitting on San Francisco and had to cross trolley tracks between cars and the tracks were like a turn lane merging into our direction. Heaps of attention and no problem, but it demanded 100% of our accumulated skill set. I say our because she knows not to be talking to me when I'm "working" and she knows not to shift her weight in tight spaces.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:42 am
Rookie

ouch

...warning/caution signs were prominently displayed! May very well be sneaky but it was very well marked with signage...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode