Love/Hate/Hot/Cold/Ying/Yang - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:09 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Cool Love/Hate/Hot/Cold/Ying/Yang

10am: Sunday Morning:

Was a sunny humid 86 degrees when I left the house for the 2+ hour ride to Mt Mitchell and back via the BRPW.. Not too bad for this time of the year...The "S" was running wonderfully...Started instantly and settled into a smooth 1000rpm idle. Wore full-perfed leathers and it didnít feel bad while I was moving. For whatever reason there wasnít many cages up on the parkway so I just picked my speed and enjoyed a leisurely ride. Itís the kind of day where you just smile at how lucky you are... when all things just seem... "as good as it gets." The bike soars by the few obstacles (read: Harleys) effortlessly.. itís shifting smoothly.. the power is godlike.. I LOVE this bike!!

Got up to the 6000+ altitude and it was down right nippy.. cloudy, windy 62 degrees. They say that due to the altitude there are less than a dozen days a year when you can actually see through the clouds for a full view of the surrounding area. Wish I had worn a long sleeve shirt underneath but still canít complain. I chit chat with some fellow cyclists until the cold wind is too much for my pussy sensibilities before heading back.

About Ĺ way back the software prob reared itís ugly head.. Could NOT be smooth on the throttle. I microtesimally roll off the throttle and it feels like I turned the key off.. To counter I could ever so slightly roll the throttle on and my head jerks back due to the instant acceleration... no middle ground.. either totally off.. or all the way on..with only a razors edge transition from one to the other...No coasting.. On or off. Iím sure somebody following me would think I had some sort of "palsy". I ride this way for 20 miles. I get to the bottom of the mountain to a stoplight and the bike is sputtering, idle is at 1500 and bouncing from 800 back up to 15.. F#@&! I take off and for the remainder of the ride home, when I pull the clutch in to shift.. the rpms donít die down so itís like Iím speed shifting... Geeezz.. I get home and Iím cussing how shitty the bike is and wanting to beeatch slap a German for putting these on the market with these problems. I HATE this bike!

I take a nap...

6PM: Sunday Late day/

One good thing about living in the eastern time zone is that it doesnít get dark until almost 9pm. Felt refreshed after my midday nap and getting a few things done around the house so I thought Iíd head back up on the parkway .. South this time to Mt Pisqua.. about 50 miles there are back. Itís cooled down a bit.. 80 degrees at the house and as Mt Pisqua is only at 3000+ ft altitude.. it should be a nice ride. I put my perfed leathers back on.. The "S" is running perfectly...Started instantly and settled into a smooth 1000rpm idle. The probs earlier in the day had vanished like a bad dream.. The sun is at 3 oclock in the sky.. the wind alternates from cool to warm like an ocean breeze. The bike is effortlessly carving curves where the RS would have had me working. I LOVE this bike!!

I get up there and chit chat with the other motorcyclists that have decided to make one last ride of the day. I eat a sandwich Iíve brought with me.. sit on a hillside and gaze upon natures beauty for a full hour. Itís the kind of day where you just smile at how lucky you are... when all things just seem... "as good as it gets."

At about 5 miles from my house on the way back.. guess what rears itís ugly little head? Yep.....It's almost unrideable the rest of the way home. Damn! I HATE this bike!
.. but.. tomorrow will be another day.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:27 pm
Addict

lol

Yea, but it looks good Jerry!

Don't be a hater!

(I totally agree...couldn't have said it better)

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:30 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Gorgous pic Jerry! I see you've got your S tricked out in your trademark all-white. Tell me about the seat/cowl??

I demo'd a new S a few days ago. Gobs of power, feels light, handles well, sits comfortably, great bike. I'm sure they'll get the software glitch figured out.

But when I read stuff like this, I just want to walk out to the garage, look lovingly at my '03 RS, jump straight up into the air with my fist raised, and scream "YEESS!".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:35 pm
Addict

I love your Bike!

Damn that machine of yours is beautiful Jerry.
I'm going to upgrade my 04 GT to a 07 S, but I do read all the posts on fuel map issues etc with serious concern (I'm at sea level though here for most of my riding.)
Hope this finds you well mate, and best wishes from OZ.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:57 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Long time no see, Sir Chuck.

Thx for the compliments, gentlemen. As for the seat/cowl.. that's all Corbin. Short version.. I love them both.. for the long gory story, read my 2 part product review in both my Feb http://www.piratesk12site.net/newsletterFeb06.htm and Mar http://www.piratesk12site.net/newsletterMar06.htm chessy newsletters.

and beleive me.. I long for the carefree days when I owned my S... I'm still praying (and I'm NOT a Christian) that the Germans figure it out... I know they are working on it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Gorgous pic Jerry! I see you've got your S tricked out in your trademark all-white. Tell me about the seat/cowl??

I demo'd a new S a few days ago. Gobs of power, feels light, handles well, sits comfortably, great bike. I'm sure they'll get the software glitch figured out.

But when I read stuff like this, I just want to walk out to the garage, look lovingly at my '03 RS, jump straight up into the air with my fist raised, and scream "YEESS!".

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:12 pm

Been there, done that, GOT THE T-SHIRT!

I am with ye, brother Pirate! :banghead
Just when I was ready to "cut 'em to the brisket" and give them back my bike, my dealer offered to reflash the bike with the 6.0 software. My bike had the most current update when I bought it (7 weeks ago) and by reflashing, it has solved 98% of the issues. Still stumbles occassionally at around 2,000 rpm and once in a while, I feel like I am shifting like a "dee-da-dee", but only for a couple of gear changes. I have been able to "reset" it occasionally while riding by accelerating at a race-pace and flying through the gears, then slowing down. It's as if the bike is telling me it's getting frustrated with a slower pace, too.

Anyway, the gist is to see if they will reflash the bike for you, but be sure to write down your mileage and post it in your logbook. The reflash will erase all memory, including when your valve adjustments should be (per the on-board computer)... Don't wanna skip that little nugget of info.

Gluck Auf!

Cheers, Mate!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
The "S" was running wonderfully...About Ĺ way back the software prob reared itís ugly head.. Could NOT be smooth on the throttle. I microtesimally roll off the throttle and it feels like I turned the key off.. To counter I could ever so slightly roll the throttle on and my head jerks back due to the instant acceleration... no middle ground.. either totally off.. or all the way on..with only a razors edge transition from one to the other...
As I previously posted, I had the same experience a few weeks ago on my stock 06 KS. About 3800 mi, running 6.0, ambient temp 88F, altitude below 1000 ft, 93 octane Amoco. After a few hours it fortunately went away and didn't recur. Behavior is exactly as you describe.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 5:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joema
As I previously posted, I had the same experience a few weeks ago on my stock 06 KS. About 3800 mi, running 6.0, ambient temp 88F, altitude below 1000 ft, 93 octane Amoco. After a few hours it fortunately went away and didn't recur. Behavior is exactly as you describe.
My bike has done this to me once and to a friends bike once.
What I did was pull over, shut down with the key all the way off.
Then turn the key back to on, cycle throttle fully open to close 3 times while computer boots up. Start motor, problem apparently solved.
Although you shouldn't have to do this, it seemed to correct the problem both times in my experience.

Mark
San Diego, CA
2006 K1200S
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 7:32 pm
Addict

You guys with the 06's should consider yourself lucky bastards, cause my 05 does the herky jerkies consistantly. Don't confront me after I get off the bike after going through rush hour traffic in Atlanta! It won't be pleasant...
If BMW does not get it right, this will be my 1st and only BMW!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:22 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
You guys with the 06's should consider yourself lucky bastards, cause my 05 does the herky jerkies consistantly. Don't confront me after I get off the bike after going through rush hour traffic in Atlanta! It won't be pleasant...
If BMW does not get it right, this will be my 1st and only BMW!
Sportrider...I too have an '05 and no low rpm issues since installing the 6.0 software. Had that done on yours?

Jimmy Zee

'99 R1100S (race-ready)
2000.5 Aprilia Mille
'05 K1200S (outta the box almost race-ready!)

Cage: '06 MZ4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode