K1200R test while waiting for my K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:00 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Smile K1200R test while waiting for my K1200S

After 160kms on a shop demo bike from Townsville BMW.
I took the K1200R to ride as they cannot get a K1200S demo bike. I'm advised the ergonomics are the same.
What a rocket. More power than I would ever need. Pulls like a 14 year old school boy!
What a pathetic seat. (Sat on softer bricks and slid around (fore and aft) a bit, but I suppose thatís good on a sport / race bike).
Handles like it's on rails. Steering with new front end was no issues, and felt natural. Quite lite compared to my 04 GT.
Feels very small, lite and twitchy compared to my GT.
I had no issues with the fuel map, i.e. surging, follow on. Started first pop, and RAN!
I couldn't work out the electronic suspension adjustment. (I'm sure it was just my unfamiliarity with the bike) Suspension was firm , but comfortable.
Brakes excellent! (Usual modern BM stuff)
Fitted with aftermarket exhaust, so nice little burble on deceleration.
Ergonomics, my 43 year old multiple operation scared knees coped well with two 45 minute runs down the highway. No noticeable weight on my wrists.
Looks like crap in naked form (bike, not me, --- well, --- actually!)
I bloody froze coming in to work today. 8 degrees ambient, 120km wind chill (wish I had cruise for my own license sake) and Airflow jacket make for a very unhappy person who lives in the tropics!
Heated handgrips were great at least.
All in all, if the ergos are the same for the K1200 S, then I'm looking forward to my new bike.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 7:25 am

The ergos arent the same. The bars are a little higher and wider on the K1200R compared to the K1200S.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:45 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the info. That's the problem in a small (ish) town. You get exposed to limited machines.
I've got a 2006 GT demo bike in my shed as we speak (very impressive), and will decide on it or the S on Monday.

Best wishes.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass
The ergos arent the same. The bars are a little higher and wider on the K1200R compared to the K1200S.
I'd say there's little noticeable difference in the way the bars "feel". At least to me.

BTW Baytown,
I live in San Diego, CA but I've spent a little time down in Townsville in the past. Nice place, friendly people and a fine little corner pub (who's name escapes me at the moment) where I attempted to get on their "Guinness" wall of fame. I just couldn't down the required 500 pints in the time I was there. Gave it hell though and still think I should have at least received an honorable mention. Not for this Yank I guess.

Anyway, if for some reason I didn't live in the US, Australia would definitely be on my "short list" of preferred places to live in the world.

-Mark
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 2:43 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
....I couldn't work out the electronic suspension adjustment. (I'm sure it was just my unfamiliarity with the bike) Suspension was firm , but comfortable.
When the bike is stopped and in Nuetral, press the ESA button once and the display will show settings. Press again and hold it until the helmet and luggage configuration (pre-load) changes. Press again until it cycles to the next configuration. When it gets to what you what you want, stop pressing. The configuration will flash while the ESA sets the pre-load.

Then at any point, stationary or on the move, you can press the ESA button once quickly. Then press it again, quickly, to cycle through the "rebound" settings, Comfort, Normal, Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
Looks like crap in naked form ....
HEY!!! :wtf

You are going to love the new bike, even if it comes with a "foreskin"

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
I'd say there's little noticeable difference in the way the bars "feel". At least to me.

BTW Baytown,
I live in San Diego, CA but I've spent a little time down in Townsville in the past. Nice place, friendly people and a fine little corner pub (who's name escapes me at the moment) where I attempted to get on their "Guinness" wall of fame.
-Mark
Good on you Mark.
Are you (were you) with the Military?
Is it Molly Blooms you are talking about?
I've never been there as I live 65kms Nth of Townsville, and prefer our sleepy little Rollingstone Pub.
Glad to hear you had a good time, and thanks for the compliment re Oz.
We like it!!!

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 8:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Smile

You are going to love the new bike, even if it comes with a "foreskin"
[/QUOTE]

I had to think about that for a second!!! I like the term 'Value Trimmed'

Ref the ESA. As the bike was given a reflash the day before, it seems they nuked the ESA off the electrics (or did a fuse etc)
I have rode 200kms on the demo GT so far since yesterday, and ESA works perfectly.
The Xenon headlight is great at 0400h for spotting Kangaroo, I can vouch for that!
I can feel a GT coming on!

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 3:40 am
Enthusiast

K1200s or GT

Ken interested in your notes on the two bikes.I am thinking of trading my R1200GS on a K1200S next week.Have not ridden the GT,perhaps I should?Am in a simular situation to you,live in Horsham.So apart from a blast thru the Grampians everything is 400km away!
Will read up monday and see how you went. cheers Andrew
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 4:08 am Thread Starter
Addict

G'day Andrew.
I checked with Townsville BMW, and there is 2 Graphite Grey K12S in the country, full option except no computers.
As I can get one of these for $10.500 change over, vs approx $12000 C/O for the GT, the cruise control, bags, computer , screen etc on the demo GT have become very tempting. If I could ride the S for 100kms, I would know what to purchase. It's come down to a heart vs. head thing. Bugger, the head will probably win.
I do also have to factor in my wife as well for the odd time she is on the back.
Hows dry and sunny Horsham going? Probably like dry and sunny Townsville (minus the ocean view!!!).
I'll post what happens on Monday.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2006, 6:11 am
Enthusiast

K1200s

Ken, well interesting!Bmw southbank have 1 grey K1200S for sale and one black/yellow.They think this may be the last.They also have some second hand K1200S for sale one grey one with only 1088 km on it?I must admit I think the new blue/white 2007 one is nice but???All that worries me is that the 2007 versions will have some of the initial problems fixed?What do you think?
thanks for your opions Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode