Deposit Made on '07 K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2006, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Deposit Made on '07 K1200S

Beemerphiles,

I have been lurking here for about 4 days, trying to satisfy my jones for the K1200S, while starting my wait for my bike. I have done a search through various posts on the 2007 K1200S and the various options and upgrades.

I really don't have any questions, as most have been answered but I thought I would share my story.

The Bike I ordered is a 2007 K1200S in Silver/Blue/Black with ABS II, ESA, Heated Grips, TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor), BC (On Board Computer), ASC (Which I am wondering if it will be on the K1200S).

Hard Loaded as my dealer likes to say. The good news is I am #1 on the waiting list for 2007's, so I will be able to pick and choose the models coming to the dealer.

It seems there is much discussion with little resolution on whether ASC will come on the K1200S at all, and if it does, when? It has been very frustrating to wait for info to come out about this feature.

I have debated whether to wait until January (If it will even be available then) to get my bike, or get one without it in October/November, when they start arriving in the states.

Anyway, I will keep all posted and thanks to all who have contributed to this site, as I have benefitted from the info posted. Thanks, All.

Regards, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 5:01 am
Enthusiast

The 2007 inclusion of the ASC function is in my opinion largely irrelevant along with the tyre pressure monitor. More superfluous functions, complexity and weight. Pity BMW didn't direct more of their resources towards the fuel mapping and "coarse" gear changing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenz
The 2007 inclusion of the ASC function is in my opinion largely irrelevant along with the tyre pressure monitor. More superfluous functions, complexity and weight. Pity BMW didn't direct more of their resources towards the fuel mapping and "coarse" gear changing.
Technology is a mixed bag of tricks in my opinion. The 5 Previous Bikes I have owned (1990 Honda Helix, 1996 Honda Magna, 2000 Honda ACE 750, 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Yamaha FZ1) did not have ABS, Traction Control, or anything else and I survived just fine.

But I find myself jazzed up about the new ABS and ASC. In my opinion, there is something to be said about using this technology to make the bikes safer in panic situations. It still isn't going to save you butt, driving that corner too fast, but it might save you if the unexpected obstacle suddenly appears in that corner and you panic stop.

Still, good driving habits and skills is the best defense for the obstacles out there.

For BMW, some software tweaks an added sensor or two to the new ABS and wella, you have traction control. Charge another 700 retail or more for it, you have a great marketing tool to tout against your competition and you will probably improve your margins on the bikes, who loses?

It seems to me, BMW is following the trend of their automotive division in updating their vehicles with newer technology to try and grow their business, as opposed to staying the same. Some will love it and they will gain new riders (like me), some will not like it, and they may lose the purists, but it is a path that must be taken, in order for them to grow. The market will decide...

Regards, Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode