Which MRA screen has least turbulence? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Which MRA screen has least turbulence?

I am 175cm (5'10). At the moment, I find that the original screen seems to do an OK job. At over 200kph, it does not make a difference whether I crouch or sits normally so Kudo to their wind-tunnel testing. Now I am looking at either the MRA Race (a bit longer than stock) or Sport one (curved lip). Has anyone around my height has an MRA screen and how do they compared to the stock one. I'd hate to get something that has more turbulence than the stock one, and prefer that the wind hit my chest than my helmet.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Veteran

I'm 5'8" and tried both the MRA Race shield which is 1" taller than stock and the Touring shield which is 2" over stock.. BOTH offer cleaner air than the piece of crap factory shield..

Very similar characteristics.. I have the race version on for the hot weather but will put the Tour version on as soon as the 90 degree temps are over for the year.

I love the Tour shield the best.. possibly the most quiet shield I've ever ridden behind on a sport bike.. virtually zero buffeting... but.. I am a couple of inches shorter than you...at least in height.. ;-)

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:27 pm
Rookie

Mra windshields

I have both the MRA touring shield and the double bubble race shield. I cut about 5 inches off the double bubble shield. Also cut it to match the top edge of the headlight lens. Looks sharp and works. I got it in blue to match the blue and white K1200S. I'm six feet tall. Had to shorten it twice to get the wind on my chest. Been great this summer in the unusually hot weather, Will return to the touring shield this fall. Contact me for details if you want to trim the shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:19 am
Enthusiast

I'm 5-8, have the MRA Sports one (curved lip). Below 80-90 mph there is not any difference compared with stock.

Above 100 mph the MRA are much cleaner than stock.

/Michael
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:11 am

5'9" tall. The biggest problem I had w/the stock shield was that at speeds over 75mph, my helmet would get pushed back until the sheild touched my nose. Drove me crazy since my commute is mostly highway for about 40 miles. So I got the variable/adjustable shield from MRA and no more shield to nose contact and have the adjustable strip about 1/2 mast. Got in in the smoke color even though it is kind of purpleish. The wind is more evenly distributed around my shoulders and not so concentrated directly in my face.

'06 K1200S (Granite Gray)
'95 Ducati Monster 900 (Red)
'98 BMW M3 Coupe (Estoril)
'88 BMW 325ix (Red)
'06 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (Some silly color name that should just be plain dark blue)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 9:16 am
Enthusiast

Am just about 6' and tried the MRA touring - way too much turbulence for me at the helmet. Switched to the Z-tech. Basically the same design as stock but terrific dark tint, pretty much scratch proof and gives me clean air. I imagine it will be a bit cool for winter riding but I hate the buffeting of wind directed to the helmet, which i got from MRA touring.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 1:54 pm
Enthusiast

seems that there is no "right" solution. It's the combination of height, choice of screen, helmet design etc. that combined correctly (with luck) gives this nice lack of turbulence.

God luck ;-)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Depends upon wind

I used to be 7'4" but the buffeting from the stock screen compressed me to 5'10" -- so bought the touring version. Its still too small since we regularly get 25 - 40 mph winds in the Tahoe/Reno mountains. Thus, 80 mph road speed is about 105- 120 mph wind pressure with toggle switch gusts. I have to put my chest on the tank to keep my head from being constantly yanked around while going up-wind at any decent speed. My neck has grown 2 sizes!

As soon as I can get my act together, I'm going to look for a much bigger screen -- but I don't know if one exists.

After a good wind blasting, I start to look longingly at those Harley Bat-Wing shields/sails -- so you know I must be hurting!

So, depending upon your acceptable wind blast quotent, I'd go with the bigger MRA or even bigger one if you can find it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for the response. I find the stock screen ok (may be I have not had better to compare with). The reason I want to change is (1) tinted screen (2) Some petrol was splashed on the screen and they stayed stained permanently as if there is a layer of the screen that has dissolved! I will think hard about going to the race or sports MRA. I'd prefer not to compromise the dynamism of the bike design by going for a taller screen which introduces more drag. But my main priority is not to get a screen that has more wind buffetting at my helmet.

Impulse_Buyer, I think your helmet is loose if you have that problem. A helmet that can protect you in a crash should fit you snuggly enough not to be moved back like that.

Tim
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:03 am

Hey Tim - I thought of that, but it's not the helmet...it is tight enough so that it squishes my cheeks just slightly and doesn't ordinarily have a lot of play, it was just the force of the wind. The new sheild took care of it. Besides, I don't think Arai makes an adult helmet smaller than an S, and that's what I have.

'06 K1200S (Granite Gray)
'95 Ducati Monster 900 (Red)
'98 BMW M3 Coupe (Estoril)
'88 BMW 325ix (Red)
'06 Subaru Impreza 2.5i (Some silly color name that should just be plain dark blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode