7.0 Convert: Installed Today! Impressive! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Talking 7.0 Convert: Installed Today! Impressive!

Well, my friends... Got the 7.0 upgrade today at Touring Sport in Greenville, SC and.....as I type this... I am one happy bastage. I rode for a couple of hours after she got juiced and hereís my initial impressions..

Before-7.0: Idle was all over the place varying from 800-1500 after the bike was warmed up. Sometimes it would just die.. moving or sitting still. It would sputter, gurgle, spit..Embarrassing at stop lights.

After 7.0: The erratic idling is gone.. No matter what I did today.. bonsai fast or old-codger slow, when I came to a stop she idled at a perfectly steady 1100rpm...No gurgling. Smooth as Angelina Jolieís butt after a long, hot shower.

Before-7.0: The bike backfired enough that it was embarrassing.. especially when downshifting from hi revs or any engine braking. Hated to have anyone riding close behind me.. not that that happens often. Doh!

After 7.0: The bike still backfires some but to a much lessor degree... Iíd guess 30-45% less. Not perfect but an improvement. Could it be better?? Yes... but I didnít cringe and salivate like Pavlovís dog every time I chopped the throttle on the way home.
Before-7.0: Throttle action was very touchy.. Action was razor quick which made it very hard to be smooth in speed transitions especially when going fast at high rpm..or when the bike was very hot. At times the bike would accelerate and decelerate as if Katherine Hepburn were at the controls.

After 7.0: The word that comes to mind is.. ďlinearĒ. The power-band is much smoother and user friendly. No problem holding a steady speed on or off throttle.. None of the choppiness that I had before.. zero.. nada.. none. I donít know how many of you have installed a Rhinewest chip in your RS, but the difference is just like that...night and day linear smoothness. The new power-band has fewer highs and lows in the 2K-7000rpm range.. itís just about perfect. I had to keep the speeds down on the way home as the Blue Meanies were out in force so I didnít do any running in the higher rev range..

The install took about an hour and since I had complained to BMWNA and already had a case file with them ..they did the install at no charge. If I had NOT complained prior to my visit I would have had to pay for the install. .. and I would have been pissed.

It's a little too soon to say that all the previous problems are gone for good, but it's obvious, at least to me that this new 7.0 software is a vast improvement over the 6.0. It is almost everything I was hoping for. Iíll sleep good tonight.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 1:08 am
Telepathetic

Glad to hear you are nearer to being a Jolly Roger. Hope to get my GT upgraded next week.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:42 am
I'm riding

Congrats!

Did you pay for the upgrade?

TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:35 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Congrats!

Did you pay for the upgrade?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
..they did the install at no charge.

Might wanna read the whole thread next time

Jerry,

Glad to hear 7.0 is a good thing. Just about time for my 12k service =D
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Enthusiast

Jerry - From the workshop pics I see you are running a non standard muffler. That suggests that 7.0 is able to handle some level of non standard mods. May I be so bold Sir Pirate as to enquire what non standard engine related bits your KS is running with the upgrade 7.0.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:58 pm
Just saying hey

Mine runs great too.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Just saying hey

Woops. 05 K1200s.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:54 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The bike is stock except for the slip-on.. at this point.. I have no plans for any engine mods other than the Rhinewest Chip when it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenz
Jerry - From the workshop pics I see you are running a non standard muffler. That suggests that 7.0 is able to handle some level of non standard mods. May I be so bold Sir Pirate as to enquire what non standard engine related bits your KS is running with the upgrade 7.0.

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:15 am
Rookie

Quote:
The bike is stock except for the slip-on.. at this point.. I have no plans for any engine mods other than the Rhinewest Chip when it's available.
You most definately need to remove the intake snorkels and replace the stock filter media if you haven't already.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2006, 4:53 am
Addict

Quote:
Well, my friends... Got the 7.0 upgrade today at Touring Sport in Greenville, SC and.....as I type this... I am one happy bastage. I rode for a couple of hours after she got juiced and hereís my initial impressions..
Same here on my R - moreover, when I fill up, the fuel indicator actually goes all the way to full as promised. Looks like the guys in Munchen made their homework correctly, this time...

CYA, Ed.

Edoardo Licciardello

To drive is human
to ride divine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode