Octane Booster - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:21 am Thread Starter
Addict

Octane Booster

Has anyone tried an octane booster in the U.S.?

Wondering what the results were?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:34 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Has anyone tried an octane booster in the U.S.?

Wondering what the results were?
Howdy John,

Maybe someone has given it a try, but I would take claims of "positive" results with a large dose of skepticism.

Octane ratings describe the component in the fuel that serve to increase the ignition temperatures of the fuel and to make it resistent to premature detonation. Unless the engine is "pre-igniting", or "pinging" then no increase in performance should be seen. In fact, the opposite is likely to occur. The fuel would demand more energy to ignite and burn slower than can be properly utilized by the engine configuration.

If the engine has been modified, more than simply increasing the flow through the air filters, by increasing the compression ratio of the engine or, and, increasing the volume of air in the fuel/air ratio via some sort of compressor (turbo/super-charger), then an increase in fuel "Octane" would serve to lower performance.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 4:56 pm
Enthusiast

I understood the engine management systematically advances the ignition timing until the knock sensors in the engine detect pre-ignition then it backs it off a little. The engine is obviously capable of running on a range of octane rated fuels.

At 13:1 compression I believe there probably is scope for higher octane fuels to be used with a positive effect but logic suggests the engineered upper useful limit is likely to be the highest that is commonly available. Engine builders don't build high compression engines because they like the work - they do it because there are performance benefits particularly in torque output. But higher compression means greater engine stress and closer attention needed to ignition timing plus fuel octane to avoid pre-ignition.

Just watch out on the avgas as I believe it is highly leaded and maybe octane boosters for lead based additives and exhaust issues if you're running a catalytic converter. Leaded fuel or similiar additives are not good for cats (or dogs, canaries, humans..........................................)

Last edited by Lenz; Sep 7th, 2006 at 5:50 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
...Unless the engine is "pre-igniting", or "pinging" then no increase in performance should be seen...
This is the standard viewpoint, but modern engines with knock detectors can change things. It varies from engine to engine based on ECU programming and knock detector sensitivity, but higher octane can result in significant performance increases. This is because the ECU advances ignition timing until it hears knock then backs off. Higher octane fuel allows more ignition timing advance hence more horsepower and performance.

A good example is the BMW M3, which has separate knock detector microphones for each cylinder. In this Car and Driver test, it got measurably better performance on premium fuel: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...r-premium.html

The K1200S has two knock detectors for its four cylinders. I don't know what the hp difference is for regular to premium or if there's any further advantage in an octane booster. In theory there might be, but I'd like to see dyno results.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 9:37 pm
Rider Journeyman

Thanks joema,

An excellent article.

I suppose that an if the engine was designed such that greater performance may be obtained by advancing the ignition timing greater than would be supported by normally available fuel, then maybe a bit of a power increase could be found.

Unfortunately, the Car and Driver article didn't go that far with the testing.

My expectation would be that even the mighty BMW K motor is designed for maximum results using nominal "premium" grade fuels and that the extra Octane would result in, at best, a minor increase in power, say 0 - 3%.

But,that's just my SWAG. A side by side test would be most interesting.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:39 am
Addict

Dunno about octane booster but I fill with Shell V-Power (99 octane) and my bike is now smoother (not perfect but better).

Ride safe
/hass

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 7:59 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass
Dunno about octane booster but I fill with Shell V-Power (99 octane) and my bike is now smoother (not perfect but better).
At 13:1 compression this engine ain't kiddin. As I've suggested before I've seen speedway bikes (single cyl 500cc 4strokes) run methanol from about 13.3:1 quite happily. Subtle shifts in ignition timing change the output bias (low end torque or top end). With the ECU optimising the timing to match fuel etc this thing would probably run on fuel from pen ink to alcohol - with output to match. (well maybe not pen ink but you know what I mean)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 2:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

That's why I brought it up, because in Europe they can get 98+ Octane, over here the max is 93, so in theory, it should have no problem boosting the octane to 98.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 9:58 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
That's why I brought it up, because in Europe they can get 98+ Octane, over here the max is 93, so in theory, it should have no problem boosting the octane to 98.
Europr rates the octane number with the RON.
USA rates with the average of the RON and the MON, also known as the Pump number
98 RON in Eurpe is equivalent to 93 (R+M)/2 in USA.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 8:57 pm

i use the NOS octane booster ( the racing formula ) with premium 92.
it's availlable at wall mart and other car places

i use half a can for a tank of gas,and you can feel the difference in the seat

well i used to, until my S has stopped pulling hard.
now it doesn't get agressive anymore above 7000
stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode