water AND air cooled???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

water AND air cooled????

hello..i briefly looked to see if this was addressed anywhere but if i understand the ukrainian BMW motorcycle rep correctly, i think he is trying to tell me that my 05 k1200s is also "air cooled". sounds like BS to me. i have never known of a water jacketed/cooled engine also being able to run cool if the coolant leaks out.
i was slammed into by an idiot in an SUV in kiev and decided it is just too dangerous to drive a motorcycle here and i am shipping it back home. there is about a 25 mile drive to the airport from the dealership where my k12 is parked now. he is trying to tell me it will be OK to drive my bike to the airport even with the collant leaking out and the computer telling you the engine is hot... i told him NOT to drive my bike and i want to trailer it or truck it to the airport. his engish is not the best but i swear this is what he is trying to tell me, that it has "two cooling systems" and when the coolant leaks out it is OK to drive it..i wish it was true but this goes against all my knowledge of engines.
anyone care to set this straight? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 7:05 pm
Enthusiast

The man is an idiot and obviously has no understanding of the difference between a liquid / water cooled engine and an air / oil cooled engine.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE without full confidence that the cooling system is completely full and sealed. A 25 mile (or 2mile) run with little or no coolant is nonsense. What this clown is trying to get you to do is get away from his place of business far enough for the engine to fail then you will have a hard time or be less likely to go back to him for anything. Don't expect sanity everywhere.

Last edited by Lenz; Sep 7th, 2006 at 7:10 pm.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

thanks lenz..i thought it sounded just too unbelievable and i guess i just wanted to be confirmed so when i see him and he tries to tell me it will be ok, i will be able to say i checked with the experts and they said he is crazy....
problem is, he drove it to where it is now and told me the engine was very hot and i think the damage has already been done....all this by a BWM rep from a BMW dealership in kiev.
if he ruined my engine and i have a legal solution to this, i will sue them. thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2006, 9:23 pm
Enthusiast

It may be worth wangling an account of what he has done out of him. A small payment for this may be worth a significant saving in headaches and later cost if you can get an admission that the guy ran it after it leaked. Just don't make the running of the bike - that is the admission - the focus of the "bike history" if ya know what I mean. The finer diplomacy is in your court........perhaps a receipt for your payment of a delivery / recovery fee charged by the service person.

Last edited by Lenz; Sep 7th, 2006 at 9:29 pm.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

hi lenz..thought i'd update you. i went to see the bike. i started it and nothing seemed any different. same wonderful sound, nothing amiss.
i took it to BMW service (by truck). they say there is a special tool, some sort of pump? they have to use to get the coolant to the correct levels. seems topping off the reserve tank on the left of the bike and topping off the radiator itself (fill neck under right faring) is not enough. so, apparently, there was coolant in the system but not enough.

do you know anything about this special tool? this service center does not have one. i am told they ordered one so they can fill my cooling system. again, sounds trippy to me, why a special tool to get coolant to all the right places?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:28 pm

It gottsta be put in unda da pressure...

true dat'!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

thanks sportrider....the ukrainian BWM rep speaks only a little english..now i understand what he meant by "air pump". i was thinking "air pump???" water cooled...leseee now... but this makes sense.

i think i am doing a public service. now the 3 other guys in all of ukraine with a k1200s will have a service center with this gizmo.

i am healing, the bike just has an ugly (to any bmw owner) scar on the fairing. one replaced mirror and i am good to go.

rethinking the shipping it home thing. i just will be far more careful (first vehicle contact in 30 years of sportbikes) and find the roads away from the city. kiev traffic and the drivers suck.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:51 pm

I can only imagine...these new bikes are really complicated.

Just to do a valve check, they have to drain the coolant.

...and of course, it all takes specialized tools, so you can't do it at home.

Those BMW's guys ain't dumb...and now there in the software biz too.

O'h you want it to start? Well, you need BMW Windows Service Pack 0.4!

p.s. What it sounds like is that there was air in the coolant system and they have to bleed it, then fill her up again...should not have hurt anything at all
to drive it.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

update

hey sport, just heard they (BMW ukraine-kiev) will not get this special unda da pressure tool until next month! that means could be snow on the ground by then where i live.
is there any jerry-rig way to get around this unda da pressure tool?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:56 pm
Enthusiast

You Must Use Vaccum Pump !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode