7.0 Installed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

7.0 Installed

Well, I finally got it installed today...the dealer did it for free...Thank you Blue Moon!

I dunno...seems to be a little more driveable, but the bike still backfires(not quite as bad) - a'h fukit! These beamers ain't all their cracked up to be...!

I'm keeping it though - just will live with the shortcomings and lesson learned.

Hard coming off a silky smooth fast jap bike and then comparing it to the
beamer. BMW took a step up with this bike and their probably thrilled shitless,
but imo, they ain't quite thar' yet!

Now, back to your regurlarly scheduled programming....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 5:33 pm

Great. I was hoping to hear it fixed your problems too sportrider. What Jap bike did you have before. I am still in the air on what to buy. I have had a number of Yamaha's before and want a drive shaft bike.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

ZZR1200 - no fuel injection - fast - smoth as silk and half the cost, but THIS IS A BMW SITE!

GO BMW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:54 pm
Veteran

John: do the battery disconnect ecu reset thing.. You know what I mean.. I was much happier after I did that and put about 100 miles on the bike.. still not perfect but I'd say the bike is a good 65% better.. still pops a bit but much less ,and overall power seems more linear, and easier to modulate. Not perfect but livable now...

I've left it disco'd overnight and will take it for a test drive...let's see how she does.

Last edited by sportrider; Sep 9th, 2006 at 4:14 pm.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 7:20 am
Enthusiast

Just two things;

(1) I'm still confused as to whether the "learned" management settings acquired by the ECU with one software version eg 6.? is deleted automatically during the change over to 7.? Is there is a rationalisation by the service people that disconnecting the battery and reset / wiping the old patterns is time consuming and not worth the effort. Can someone state with 100% certainty please what is required for the best result with the new software with regard to the deletion of earlier "learned" management patterns / windows.

(2) Does the 7.0 upgrade solve the management issues for all bikes in standard form. Is there only a continuing issue of rough running, backfiring etc with engines using induction and exhaust mods and upgrades. There has to be a limit in ECU adjustment flexibility so are the induction and exhaust mods exceeding the adjustment range.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:05 am
Veteran

Virtually all my previously mentioned running probs were solved with the 7.0.. except.. the backfiring issue.. just like yours.. Agreed.. it's not quite there yet, but .. I'm VERY happy..
and I think future software updates will probably address this issue.. The guys working on this stuff hear us complaining.. Trust me..

As for comparing it to virtually ANY Jap bike.. I would agree.. the S is nowhere as silky smooth as any Jap in-line 4, nor does it shift as well as any Jap bike.. and agreed...they ain't quite thar' yet, but BMW elves are still working.. tweaking...

I think these are supposed to be the typically German gremlins that are supposed to be overlooked and/or perhaps..endearing..to us .. the BMW riders of the world. ;-) Don't know about the rest of youz guys but problems or not.. I can't see me NOT owning a BMW as I am addicted to quality..and uniqueness... I NEED more than what the Japanese are putting out.. I wish I could be happy with a Jap bike..!! Really..

I choose to believe that the S will get smoother with time and miles like the K1200RS.. I could be wrong, but even if I'm not.. IMHO this is one helluva motorcycle and I can NOT think of any bike produced by ANY manufacturer that I'd trade it for.. it's definitely worlds better than the venerable K1200S, which I loved..

Sure.. you could buy a Jap bike for 1/2 the $.. but after only 1 year it'd be worth about 1/2 what you paid for it...

P out.. Wonderful weather here today... Heading down to Deals Gap as soon as the fog burns off..

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:33 am

Engine-wise the japanese bikes may lead the pack but the K1200S chassis (Hossack front and ESA) is way ahead of the competition (imo)... There are few bikes out there as nimble and as stable as the K1200S. Plus the brakes are awesome, at least as good as those on my old RSV if not better!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:00 am
Veteran

Hass... "nimble" is NOT an adjective I'd use when describing the S... Perhaps.. nimble for a bike with it's loooooong wheelbase...and over complicated suspention.

I got smoked in some VERY tight twisties a few days ago by a lowly R6 AND a Honda 650 something or other... by guys that I regularly trounce on my 750 MV.... now THOSE bikes are nimble..

The Deals Gap Rally is just a few weeks away and I can't wait but no way I'll take my K1200S on the Dragon..or if I do.. I'll just be sight-seeing. Simply too long and heavy for "serious" blasting on a road so tight.. Others may disagree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass
There are few bikes out there as nimble and as stable as the K1200S. Plus the brakes are awesome, at least as good as those on my old RSV if not better!

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:55 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I got smoked in some VERY tight twisties a few days ago by a lowly R6 AND a Honda 650 something or other... by guys that I regularly trounce on my 750 MV.... now THOSE bikes are nimble..
IMHO, not a correct comparison.
Apples to apples. :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2006, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards a new CBR1000RR for the sports stuff and if the S does not cut it for me, then I'll trade it for a R1200GS next year...I used to despise the old GS bikes, but I've really taken a liking to them over the last year.

And they come in Granite Grey!

I think it would be fun to just take off and explore some old logging roads in North Georgia with it.

I was at the Honda dealer today - they had a new CBR fitted with a Yosh full system/power commander and we started it up in the showroom - sounds really really sweet, probably a full Akrapovic would be even better - a Black CBR 1000 RR with polished aluminum rims and other bits and pieces get's my blood flowing. They offered me a test ride....couldn't do it today, but next week, I might take one for a spin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode