mirror removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Question mirror removal

Heading for the track and I'd much rather remove the mirrors than tape 'em up. Anybody done this without cutting the directional signal wires? There's a very beefy cloth-wrapped wire inside the stalk, and even after pulling the triangular rubber grommet holding the wire at the base, the wire is still too tight to pull through. Maybe I'm supposed to remove the little perforated washer that snugs around the base of the wire under the rubber grommet too, but it looks like it calls for a special tool.

Oh, I suppose I COULD tape the mirrors up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:24 am

There are dicsonnects located under the black panel between the upper and side fairing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:56 am

If you decide to tape them, use blue painter's tape, doesn't leave any residue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:09 am
Addict

i've never been to the track with my bike so just out of curiousity why do you need to remove or tape up the mirrors????
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Most trackday operators require all glass to be taped to prevent from scattering all over the track in case you go down. You don't have to remove the mirrors.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
i've never been to the track with my bike so just out of curiousity why do you need to remove or tape up the mirrors????
I'm no track expert but this is my thoughts:
On the track, you have to limit distractions. You focus on the road ahead of you. No taking your eyes off the road to look in your mirrors. It doesn't matter much who's behind you. When you NEED to see, turn your head.

Same thing for the lights. Head lights are a distraction and tail lights even more so. When people see brake lights, they often react to it. However, on the track, when and where to react is a choice each rider has to make and the last thing anyone needs is to second guess themselves when they see the red light in-front of them come on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2006, 6:25 pm
Enthusiast

You know that you can fold the mirrors all the way forward until they almost touch right? Tape 'em and fold 'em.

Of course if they are easily removable that that's the better option.

I'd also pull the power from the headlight so that there's no chance of the tape getting melted to the plastic lens cover. I know that there's a trick where you can disable the headlight but every time you turn the key back on you have to re-do it.

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode