Where do you stow your helmet? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Where do you stow your helmet?

Question from a new S owner: Where do you put your helmet when you get off the bike? I know it'll fit in the sport panniers, but that seems like a hassle.

Do you hang it from the mirror stalk?

Do you hang it from the rear reflector stalk?

Curious as to what people do...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2006, 5:28 pm
Rookie

Try lidlocs- http://www.lidloc.com/

They work great on my 2004 k1200gt. They are a bit frustrating till you get the gist of how they work best (orientation wise). I just went 100 miles with my extra helmet attached to the system case...I was nervous at first but after a few miles I realized the whole package was stable.

My pillion and I rented an 1150rt in Europe/Alps this summer. They fit perfectly, let us lock the helmets to the bike and made it so the we didn't have to schlep the helmets around.

You'd have to ask the Lidloc people if they work on your 1200S.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:29 am

With the tank bag in place I have a perfect resting place for my helmet; snugged right up against the windscreen. If I'm leaving the bike for a while and it will be out of sight I use a cable lock and thread it through my helmet and/or jacket and the clutch or brake lines. Works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 8:40 am

I hang my helmet on the passenger peg, left side. It's away from the exhaust, and the mounting bracket for the peg works well if I need to use the cable and lock.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:00 am

[QUOTE=timmr]I hang my helmet on the passenger peg, left side. It's away from the exhaust, and the mounting bracket for the peg works well if I need to use the cable and lock.[/QUOTE

I also hang it from the left passenger peg, but I am going to order the helmet lock from the Pirate.
I cant believe the bike does not come with a helmet lock.

Greg
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:23 am

Cool The S does have a helmet lock...

...at least that is what the bike's owner's manual says. There are two little pegs under the seat. They say that your BMW dealer should have a cable available that allows you to secure your lid by removing the seat and threading the cable through the helmet's chinbar and back around one of the pegs. Then you replace the seat and the helmet is secure.

I find removing & replacing the seat to be a pretty huge pain in the butt.

So, I use the sport bags. With practice it's gotten pretty easy. When riding without the saddle bags, I also have a cable lock I got at a gunsmith shop. I hook that through the chinbar and then through the passenger grab handle. You can then leave the helmet on the rear seat...right side UP so it doesn't fill with rainwater, leaves, dust, dirt, etc...

Chuck V. ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FAST color.)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:54 am

[/QUOTE]I cant believe the bike does not come with a helmet lock.Greg[/QUOTE]

There are two straps under the seat for use as a helmet lock. Since my seat is such a PITA to remove and reinstall I don't bother using these helmet locks. I just bring the helmet with me now when I leave the bike for prolonged periods of time. Otherwise I just hang the helmet off the mirror stalk.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
Question from a new S owner: Where do you put your helmet when you get off the bike? I know it'll fit in the sport panniers, but that seems like a hassle.

Do you hang it from the mirror stalk?

Do you hang it from the rear reflector stalk?

Curious as to what people do...

Thanks
I don't like hauling extra cables, locks, bla, bla, bla... with me and then futzing around with them. IMO, everything about getting on and off the bike needs to be quick and easy as possible. If I'm worried about my helmet, I take it inside with me. If not, I gently stick it on the right mirror.

The mirror isn't my favorite option but I haven't found a better place to stick it for short bits of time where it's reasonably secure from falling.

The right side pegs would be my first choice but they leave the helmet touching the hot exhaust.

The left side pegs would be good if your bike has the center stand. Otherwise, the lean angle when parked on the side makes hanging your helmet from the left side peg prone to falling off.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 1:01 pm

mirror stalk - unless it's with me.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Rookie

Helmets

Lidlock will not work on K1200S. The best I've found is the one from the Pirate. Looks good,works well, very quick to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode