Restless - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:56 am Thread Starter

Restless

Hi,
I have had my K12S for a year now, and I am getting restless, I tried a R1200GS and liked it, but I am not sure whether to go for a K12GT. I am a bit annoyed with the vibrations as they send my finger numb, its a 2004 model! The the upright seating on the other two models appeals to me, I would like to tour Europe/Scotland and in fairness I don't think I could do it on my 12S, Now I realise this is a K bikes forum, but honest opinions would be most welcome!

I don't need criticism, I have got a wife for that!!

Cheers,

Dibbley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Why not keep the S and get a 1200GS in addition?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:55 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

How many miles have you got on that K12S in the last year?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Restless

Hi,
I have done 4000 miles on the bike and I cannot afford 10300 for a R1200GS in addition to my new cage (Company car allowance), so its a P/X for another machine, the vibes seem worse when I go 2 up, thats exactly what I want to do over Europe and Scotland, The K12S is so fast and tractable its unbelievable, but I want smoooooth, my old K12RS was smooooth, but as it was my first bike in 23 years I did not realise just what a good machine I had.

Cheers
Dibbley
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:36 am

I did'nt think the KS came out till 2005? How did you get a 2004 model?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:58 am

The r1200gs is a great touring bike, and will humble many sportbikes when the road curves. Just turned 30k miles on mine on a trip to arkansas this last weekend. It's also easier to maintain and has a longer range along with good luggage capacity. I have no doubt the k1200s can tour well, but so far i've had no need to do 160 on the GS while OTR, and 2 up
does suck on the k12s.

Haven't had any issues with vibration either on the k12s; not quite as smooth as the k12rs but smoother than the asian bikes i've ridden. The GS does vibrate a fair amount over 100 mph.

ymmv
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:05 am

R12gs/k12s

I own both. If I had to choose between the two, the GS gets to stay. It's an awesome bike. Very versitile. Hauls alot of stuff anywhere you might want to go.
Remember it's a twin. Even with the new engine there will be some vibration, although it's not bad. Just enough to let you know that it's running.
The KS is an awesome bike, but if I needed something to haul a SO and luggage, it wouldn't be my choice. If I wanted a 4cylinder bike for that, the GT, or FJR are better choices for that role.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Enthusiast

Talking

I love my 99GS for hundreds of reasons. And yes, it will humble many sport bikes, when skill is required more than HP. I do like the ride and experience w/ the K12R/S. If the 07's are better, I might get one. There is a good reason ( s), that the GS is the best selling BMW and winner in alot of other categories. I guess if one can swing it, an I4 & twin makes life wonderful. I would have a K12S already cept for the fact that I deceided to keep the GS and not trade it. I traded a 96GS for a 1998 K1200RS. I miss that old GS. I never missed the K12RS. Speed alone does not an Awesome bike make!! To dis the GS, would be a decission I would regret forever. I have a very lucky GS...( long story)....your mileage may vary
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbley
Hi,
I have had my K12S for a year now, and I am getting restless, I tried a R1200GS and liked it, but I am not sure whether to go for a K12GT. I am a bit annoyed with the vibrations as they send my finger numb, its a 2004 model! The the upright seating on the other two models appeals to me, I would like to tour Europe/Scotland and in fairness I don't think I could do it on my 12S, Now I realise this is a K bikes forum, but honest opinions would be most welcome!

I don't need criticism, I have got a wife for that!!

Cheers,

Dibbley
I'd have thought the boxer engines on the R cause more vibrations than the K series. I have ridden the RT and ST and can feel their obvious vibrations whereas the K was smooth as - hence may be it's a problem specific to your bike? Have you also considered after market K12S parts for better touring, like MRA touring screen, Helibar handle bar riser, Corbin seat, Throttlemeister, and Givi panniers (if you want to carry alot)?

Tim
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 1:00 am
Noob

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
.... Speed alone does not an Awesome bike make!! ....
There is more to life than increasing its speed.
Mohandas Gandhi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode