New 1000 RR - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:20 am Thread Starter

New 1000 RR

Just picked an 06 1000 RR this weekend...full yosh system, power commander - man this thing just plain rips and ubelievable in the twisties.

...keeping the S for sport-touring and communting and the Honda for the aggressive sport riding.

Whatta you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:30 am
JCW
contributor

Looks sweet! Could you give us a comparison of the two in terms of power and handling? I think you had the airbox mod and full pipe system on the KR, right?
How much better are the literbike's fuel injection, power and handling? How bad are the ergos? Build quality?
Congratulations on the new toy.
(Hate to say it but I'm debating whether to drop some money for an exhaust, windscreen, etc on the K12R or to trade for a zx10 or 14)

Last edited by JCW; Sep 25th, 2006 at 8:35 am.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Well, I hate to say it but the CBR is hands down faster and better in the twisties than my KS will ever be...it's really like cheatin'. The gearbox is silky smooth and even with the full exhaust and power commander, there's absolutely no popping or backfiring and the brakes are incredible. Another nice thing I like about the Honda is the electronic steering damper - controlled by the throttle - so at low speeds, it shuts off...nice. Now, as far as ergo's - it's gonna take a little while for my 47 year old body to get used to, but because of the riding position, it feels like your the one going through the curves, not you pushing a bike ...if you know what I mean - it's really neat. The handling is just razor sharp.
I just rode my KS to the gas station today and it is more comfortable than the Honda, but if you've never had a literbilke - get one, cause they are simply amazing. I hear the 07 GSXR is going to have 3 selectable maps on the handlebar - so you can switch to different perf. settings on the fly...neat.

p.s. - some guys are getting 180+ horsepower at the rear wheel with a few mods...busa/zx14 beater!( and wet weight is under 450 lbs)

If anyone is looking for a Honda, Southern Honda in Chattanooga is selling new 1000RR's for $8683 - $2500 off MSRP.

Last edited by sportrider; Sep 25th, 2006 at 9:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:46 am Thread Starter

I've ridden a ZX14 - fast, smooth - just didn't care for the styling, but I see they now have some nice smooth carbon fiber pieces in lieu of the strakes.

zx14.net has alot good info on them.

I know the owner of the site(Greg) and have ridden with him - good guy, fast rider.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:28 am
JCW
contributor

Decisions, decisions. I can't afford both...

I'd like a bike I can tool around town without feeling I've been doing handstands after 10 minutes. But, I'm definitely a power junkie.

Every time I look at the K12's engine specs, (smallest included valve angle, highest compression ratio, lightweight pistons with short skirts, good rod length/stroke ratio, lightweight crank, little details like oil squiters under the pistons) I feel better about keeping the bike. When I wash the bike I'm amazed by the amount of lightweight plastic bits and pieces (radiator, oil tank, fuel tank, etc) and I realize that it's the shaft drive and duolever front end that adds weight. Nothing we can do about it.

WHY DOESN"T THIS ENGINE MAKE MORE HP?!?!?!

Last edited by JCW; Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:34 am.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
Just picked an 06 1000 RR this weekend...full yosh system, power commander - man this thing just plain rips and ubelievable in the twisties.

...keeping the S for sport-touring and communting and the Honda for the aggressive sport riding.

Whatta you guys think?

I had the SAME bike. Great sportbike. After, 10's of sportbikes, finally getting tired of leaning waaaay over. The S will NEVER do what the RR can, BUT..........vice versa, the RR won't do what the S can do.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Decisions, decisions. I can't afford both...

IMHO realistically, does any one use more than 100hp on public roads? And on the tracks, what percentage of people here are capable of making use of all 167hp? To me it's the overall package that counts (the design, the features, drivability, the power curve, the gearing etc) :-)

Tim
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 6:58 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
The shaft drive soaks up a little but if you said the extra 200cc over the litre bike capacity perhaps evened up the losses etc then where is the difference. I've yet to hear any reports on a Dimsport Rapidbike 3 engine management module fitted to a KS. Set up a custom map with the right exhaust / inlet flows plus correct Air/Fuel ratios and THEN the beast would be loose. I would be very interested to see what sort of numbers Ken at Evoluzione has coaxed out of his project K1200S now.

The question does remain though, is the vast majority of riders really skilled enough to ride the KS to its existing potential anyway - realistically probably not.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:33 am Thread Starter

I should have known better than to post this on a BMW site....!:p

It's not meant to replace the KS, as they really are two different bikes.

I intend to take the CBR to the track and use it to throw around the tight twisties(i.e. Deals Gap), as well as some occasional wheelies! - it's an amazing piece of engineering and so is the BMW.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:32 am
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatran
IMHO realistically, does any one use more than 100hp on public roads? And on the tracks, what percentage of people here are capable of making use of all 167hp? To me it's the overall package that counts (the design, the features, drivability, the power curve, the gearing etc) :-)
Yeah, I kinda agree with you. (Although 100hp for a 500+ pound bike is pretty low)

Power hides a lot of flaws.
If this bike had only 100hp, trust me there would be WAY more complaints about the gearbox being clunky and the bike being too heavy! I don't even think it would make it to production.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode