Picked up My New S, Yesterday! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Picked up My New S, Yesterday!

Well,

I have had a deposit on an '07 K1200S for about 5 weeks and yesterday my dealer called and had an '06 come in in Blue and White.

I originally wanted the Blue and White, but all were "Gone". Anyway, being end of the month and end of the model year, they offered a screaming good deal. Also, no new word on when the 07 K1200S will even be here. Jan or Feb, possibly.

So, I pulled the trigger on the '06. Rode it about 80 miles last night and what can I say that ya'll don't already know! AWESOME Ride. I just wanted to keep going and going.

I had a friend here and we swapped bikes so he could experience the K. He drives a 02 GSXR 1000. Nice bike, lighter, more nimble, much more cramped riding style. After I got back on the K, what a difference.

Of course, I thought I was going to be the only one at the "Goose" with a K. But saw a grey one there and another blue and white one. Both owners where happy with their bikes and talked about riding to Arkansas and how much they enjoy just going.

So, I look forward to doing just that. Pictures to follow, but most of ya'll have already seen the blue and white many times already.

Great info from this forum!

Regards,

Michael...
Dual_Fives is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:47 pm
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 273
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual_Fives
Well,

I have had a deposit on an '07 K1200S for about 5 weeks and yesterday my dealer called and had an '06 come in in Blue and White.

I originally wanted the Blue and White, but all were "Gone". Anyway, being end of the month and end of the model year, they offered a screaming good deal. Also, no new word on when the 07 K1200S will even be here. Jan or Feb, possibly.

So, I pulled the trigger on the '06. Rode it about 80 miles last night and what can I say that ya'll don't already know! AWESOME Ride. I just wanted to keep going and going.

I had a friend here and we swapped bikes so he could experience the K. He drives a 02 GSXR 1000. Nice bike, lighter, more nimble, much more cramped riding style. After I got back on the K, what a difference.

Of course, I thought I was going to be the only one at the "Goose" with a K. But saw a grey one there and another blue and white one. Both owners where happy with their bikes and talked about riding to Arkansas and how much they enjoy just going.

So, I look forward to doing just that. Pictures to follow, but most of ya'll have already seen the blue and white many times already.

Great info from this forum!

Regards,

Michael...
Michael - congratulation with your new bike. The blue and white looks great but the grey one is the fastest one ;-)

Did you get the version 7 software ? - what's your first impression on the transmission, low rpm throttle respons etc.

take care !

br Michael
ratemut is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Ratemut,

Thanks for the congrats.

First impressions are good. I had a little adjustment in getting use to the first to second shift, as it seems long too me. Could be, I hadn't ridden in about 3 months. Sold My FZ1 in June. I only had this problem of going into Neutral about 4 times. Again, probably more rust on my part as opposed to fault of the machine.

I don't know which version of software I have, but the bike seemed very smooth and the fuel injection was dead on. Not any jumpiness or on/off throttle funny business.

Of course, I tryed not to lug it around and vary the RPM's greatly due to break in.

I have been following the various threads on this and other forums about the jumpiness and clunkiness, but so far, nothing to report.

I did have an annoying yellow triangle stay on last night with LAMPR! in the display. After digging through the Owner Manual, I realized the rear lamp was defective. It was working fine, but when I pulled the bulb, it had some grey haze on the inside. I went and picked up a new 1157 for $1.57 and it cured it this morning. So all is good!

When I go for my break in oil change, I will have them check for the software version and find out. Is there a way to do this without going to the dealer?

Regards, Michael...
Dual_Fives is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 1:36 pm
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual_Fives
Ratemut,

Thanks for the congrats.

First impressions are good. I had a little adjustment in getting use to the first to second shift, as it seems long too me. Could be, I hadn't ridden in about 3 months. Sold My FZ1 in June. I only had this problem of going into Neutral about 4 times. Again, probably more rust on my part as opposed to fault of the machine.

I don't know which version of software I have, but the bike seemed very smooth and the fuel injection was dead on. Not any jumpiness or on/off throttle funny business.

Of course, I tryed not to lug it around and vary the RPM's greatly due to break in.

I have been following the various threads on this and other forums about the jumpiness and clunkiness, but so far, nothing to report.

I did have an annoying yellow triangle stay on last night with LAMPR! in the display. After digging through the Owner Manual, I realized the rear lamp was defective. It was working fine, but when I pulled the bulb, it had some grey haze on the inside. I went and picked up a new 1157 for $1.57 and it cured it this morning. So all is good!

When I go for my break in oil change, I will have them check for the software version and find out. Is there a way to do this without going to the dealer?

Regards, Michael...
Michael - seems that you have a good bike. Many people here had big problems with jerky throttle respons. And if you don't have any problems now I don't think you will have any ever. I was also very happy with my 06 Grey KS but got the version 7 installed anyway. There is a big change in rideability and you should think twice before you upgrade. Look around for comments on the version 6 -> 7 experience. There is no way that you yourself can check the version, only the dealer can do that. My guess is that you have version 6.

I have now ridden 5000 km (during 2 months) and love the bike more and more - seems that it is getting stronger and that the clonky transmission is getting smoother.

Good luck with your break in - don't baby it ;-)

br Michael
ratemut is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 1:54 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Posts: 896
enjoy the new ride! Also when you do 600 mile service have them do the final drive oil as is is now considered part of the 600 mile, it wasn't before, and some dealers may not be aware of this.
Erik is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 4:25 pm
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratemut
Michael - congratulation with your new bike. The blue and white looks great but the grey one is the fastest one ;-)

Did you get the version 7 software ? - what's your first impression on the transmission, low rpm throttle respons etc.

take care !

br Michael

Michael,

I have an 06 K12S with 5000 miles on it. I just had the new software installed and the throttle feels a little smoother at low revs.Very small difference.

Greg S.
Spring is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 6:43 pm
Veteran
 
Larry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lancaster, OH, USA
Posts: 878
So what was the deal in dollars?
Larry is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Enthusiast
 
Oregon_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Springfield, Oregon (duh), USA
Posts: 230
You have been assimilated.
:troll

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
Oregon_Rider is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:39 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
enjoy the new ride! Also when you do 600 mile service have them do the final drive oil as is is now considered part of the 600 mile, it wasn't before, and some dealers may not be aware of this.
Thanks, I will mention this to the dealer and have him do that. Makes some sense as all parts are breaking in, right?

I wonder how much this will add to my glorified oil change? $100, $200? Hmmm...

Regards, Michael...
Dual_Fives is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:47 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Took it out for another 50 miles, yesterday afternoon. Put my first tank of gas in it, Super at $2.349, and it took about 3 gallons. Weird filler nozzle, IMHO, as I wondered when it was actually full. I just kept filling it till it hit the bottom of the metal collar inside the tank.

I got better with the 1 - 2 shift and only revved it in Neutral once. Again, probably more getting used to the bike, than the bike.

Still scrubbing in the tires, especially the edges, but this bike seems to be on rails. It inspires confidence in the corners and wants to go, go, go. 600 miles cannot come soon enough.

The gearing is interesting, as 6th seems like a true overdrive and hardly useable on the Farm to Market Roads I was driving. Seemed like 2nd went on forever as well. No complaints, just comments. I can see how this thing could get you in trouble with Johnny Law as I looked down a couple times and the speedo read 85MPH and I didn't even know it.

Wow, what a bike.

Now, to get a battery tender and a Zero Gravity Double Bubble style windscreen in Smoke.

THanks for all the info!

Regards, Michael...
Dual_Fives is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought new K1200R yesterday Gomic K12/1300R/R-Sport 14 Jan 1st, 2008 7:51 pm
Test rode one yesterday, ordered one today BMKrider K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 9 Jan 3rd, 2007 7:10 pm
picked up the Cyrstal Grey GT today rheimann K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 7 Jun 19th, 2006 2:34 pm
Picked it up today!! pdamski K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 5 May 11th, 2006 9:37 pm
Took delivery yesterday stubinpsu K12/1300R/R-Sport 11 Apr 25th, 2006 5:08 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome