Best price on a 1200S? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Best price on a 1200S?

Hello,

I test rode a 2006 K1200S today, and I really enjoyed it. However, $15k is more than I'd like to pay. The dealer I went to still has the $500 off, free nav and cargo bags promotion. I don't really want those items though. What is the lowest price I should be able to get this bike for, before tax and license? I wasn't able to find any info on this subject on the forums here.

I'm also looking at a CBR1000RR which I can get for $9500 before tax and license. I have not ridden a 1000RR though, but I really loved the 1200S.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:51 pm

If I could buy a new one loaded out for $15k, I'd be at a dealer tomorrow ! Also, the CBR1000RR is'nt a good comparative bike, ie; I would'nt be shopping for one or the other between those two.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:09 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by err0neous
Hello,

I test rode a 2006 K1200S today, and I really enjoyed it. However, $15k is more than I'd like to pay. The dealer I went to still has the $500 off, free nav and cargo bags promotion. I don't really want those items though. What is the lowest price I should be able to get this bike for, before tax and license? I wasn't able to find any info on this subject on the forums here.

I'm also looking at a CBR1000RR which I can get for $9500 before tax and license. I have not ridden a 1000RR though, but I really loved the 1200S.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
Sell the bags $600-700 and the nav $500-$600 That would put the bike at less than 14k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Well, I had a 600RR for about 2 months before it was stolen, and for the last two weeks I borrowed a friend's 1200RT, which I really did not care for at all. All of my friends had been telling me about how smooth BMW bikes are, how great they are, etc., but I just didn't see that in the 1200RT. The engine was rough and it just didnt seem that great.

I took it to the dealer for him for the recall and while I was there I figured what the heck, I'll give the 1200S a try. Once I rode it 100 feet, I finally saw what all my friends had been telling me about. It was so smooth, so fast, so stable, and so awesome.

So, now my problem is, why is this bike so different from my 600RR? I felt a huge difference, but I don't know why. Is it just the power, just the engine, or all of the above combined with BMW precision? That is why I'm looking at the 1000RR, to see where that fits in with the power, stability, and smoothness differences between my old Honda and the 1200S.

I want the power, smoothness, and stability that I felt on the 1200S, and if I can get that with the Honda 1000RR for $6k less then I'll go for that.

Also I have been reading the forums here and I see these threads about backfiring, problems with the firmware, etc. and that kind of scares me too. I don't want to have those kinds of issues with a $15k bike especially when I know there will be no such issues with a Honda.

Let me know your feedback. Thanks a lot.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkactetx
Sell the bags $600-700 and the nav $500-$600 That would put the bike at less than 14k
The dealer made it sound like if I gave up those things they would lower the price accordingly. That's why I mentioned that.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Quote:
I want the power, smoothness, and stability that I felt on the 1200S, and if I can get that with the Honda 1000RR for $6k less then I'll go for that.
As a 954RR owner I can assure you the power, smoothness (as in throttle response, not ride) and stability are there, but the Honda gives up a lot in comfort. Especially, in 2-up riding. Basically it is comparing a Cadillac STS to a Corvette, just which do you desire. Had to use a US comparison as I'm not that familiar w/ European cars LOL !
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:47 am
Addict

unless you buy used your not going to find an "S" for less than 15k, msrp on the "S" is 15,800 for a stripped bike. once you add esa, abs, computer and heated grips you're looking at 18k. i payed 17k for my blue/white "S" with all the bells and whistles which was about 1300 off msrp. trying to compare a jap bike in price with a BMW, the jap bike is going to be cheaper every time by 6-8 grand depending on what you buy. oh yeah, get the bags and gps and then sell them on ebay, that's what i would do if i was buying an "S" today. well maybe i'd keep the bags. the gps and bags is an incentive from bmw to move left over 06 bikes so the dealer is not going to lower price on a bike in accordance with the price of bags/gps.

i love my bmw because it's the best bike in the world for me and does everything i want it to do. what sold me on the bmw was not performance but safety issues i.e., abs and a frame designed not to dive causing unwanted stoppies under hard braking. i was doing 100 mph and still accelerating on my KRS in order to pass a few trucks on a 2 lane hwy when some old bitch pulled out of her drive way right in front of me. i had to slam on brakes but the abs kept the wheels from locking up and the frame dove slightly but the rear tire never left the ground. had i been on a jap bike i may have kissed the ground so for those reasons alone the bmw is worth the extra $$$$$$
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

I talked to the dealer today, and they wouldn't really negotiate at all. The bike has ESA, ABS, computer, and handgrips, total MSRP $17985. They had a $500 off promotion and would give me $800 credit for the NAV and bags, which comes to $16685.

This is the first time I've ever seen any dealer (car or motorcycle) not be willing to negotiate the price. I really like the bike, but I figure why should I buy this one for MSRP especially when the 07s should be out soon and I can get one of those for the same price?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Quote:
I talked to the dealer today, and they wouldn't really negotiate at all. The bike has ESA, ABS, computer, and handgrips, total MSRP $17985. They had a $500 off promotion and would give me $800 credit for the NAV and bags, which comes to $16685.
I thought you said the bike was $15K??

<<So, now my problem is, why is this bike so different from my 600RR? I felt a huge difference, but I don't know why. Is it just the power, just the engine, or all of the above combined with BMW precision?>>

Don't take offense but, are you kidding? Why is a 600RR so different from a K1200S? The RR is an all out supersport sportbike. Very light, aggressive riding position, short wheelbase, and aggressive steering geometry. The S is BMW's version of a sportbike, but it's a large capacity one, and is also very much a sport tourer. These 2 bikes couldn't be more different. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum. The RR is ultra-flickable and quick steering, but will react to real world road irregularities. Sportbikes get great reviews because much of the testing is done at the track, on smooth pavement. That's part of the marketing ploy. The S (and all BMW's) eats up the road. You won't find a more stable, sure footed bike that holds a strict line. They are "real world" bikes. A good rider on an S gives up very little to a sportbike on the road.

If it were me, I'd first decide WHAT kind of bike meets my needs/desires, then buy accordingly. Japanese bikes always have more bang for the buck. I've owned 10's of them. Bmw's are for a certain "kind" of rider. Not for everyone.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2006, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal
I thought you said the bike was $15K??

Don't take offense but, are you kidding? Why is a 600RR so different from a K1200S? The RR is an all out supersport sportbike. Very light, aggressive riding position, short wheelbase, and aggressive steering geometry. The S is BMW's version of a sportbike, but it's a large capacity one, and is also very much a sport tourer. These 2 bikes couldn't be more different. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum. The RR is ultra-flickable and quick steering, but will react to real world road irregularities. Sportbikes get great reviews because much of the testing is done at the track, on smooth pavement. That's part of the marketing ploy. The S (and all BMW's) eats up the road. You won't find a more stable, sure footed bike that holds a strict line. They are "real world" bikes. A good rider on an S gives up very little to a sportbike on the road.

If it were me, I'd first decide WHAT kind of bike meets my needs/desires, then buy accordingly. Japanese bikes always have more bang for the buck. I've owned 10's of them. Bmw's are for a certain "kind" of rider. Not for everyone.
I was referencing 15k as the base price of the bike, which is of course really $15.8k without the options. I don't need the options but they don't have a bike without them available.

What I was referring to about the difference between the bikes was actually just the smoothness of the way the engine feels and sounds, and not so much the amount of power. That was the most influential item of my test ride.

There's no question I want the S but I am still wondering why there is no negotiation on them, especially at the end of the model year. Why would anyone not wait until the 07s are out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode