Display all bars when the tank is full. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 5:49 am Thread Starter

Display all bars when the tank is full.

When you fill up your bike, do you have to drive a coupel of miles before all bars show "full" in the display or do all bars show from the begining?
Is the solution to this problem a calibration of the gas meters?
The easiest way to do the calibration, is this to drive the bike empty, plug in and calibrate and then fill up, plug in and calibrate? Or do I have to take out the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 8:38 am

The solution is to have the dealer upgrade your software to version 7.0, which has this fix:

Modification to fuel gauge on the following models:

- R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure (without board computer),
- R 1200 ST
- K 1200 S
- K 1200 R

rectifies the following issue:
fuel gauge does not display all bars when the tank is full. (only applies to motorcycles equipped with segmented instrument cluster)

But the downside of 7.0 is that it changes other things that you may not want to change. There are plenty of opinions out there on whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. Personally, I'd rather live with a finicky fuel gauge.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 9:01 am
Addict

with 7.0 I have to go a few hundred feet before the display shows all bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I filled up on the way to work last night...

...filled it WAY up. Then I noticed that the top bar on the fuel gauge was not showing. When I returned to the bike and restarted it...about 5 hours later...ALL the bars were darkened as they should be.

I don't consider this a problem really. As a biker for over 45 years now I really rely on the odometer for a sense of how much fuel I have. And I'd hate to mess with the software that came with my 2006 K1200S...it runs great now, I love it, so why take the risk and mess it up?

But that's just me.

Chuck V. ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FASTEST color)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 1:22 pm

I now have 7.0, and it still takes a while (several miles sometimes) for it to recalculate, and show all bars. Same as when I was on 6.0

Oh well, no big thing.

ken
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
The solution is to have the dealer upgrade your software to version 7.0, which has this fix:

- R 1200 ST
- K 1200 S
- K 1200 R

fuel gauge does not display all bars when the tank is full. (only applies to motorcycles equipped with segmented instrument cluster)

But the downside of 7.0 is that it changes other things that you may not want to change. There are plenty of opinions out there on whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. Personally, I'd rather live with a finicky fuel gauge.
If you only want the fuel gauge fix portion of 7.0 you can just get that. The computer that controls the fuel gauge is separate from the one that controls the engine and the tech can pick and choose which one he updates. This option was presented to me when I went in for my update and told them about my gas gauge. I went ahead and had all of 7.0 installed and I'm happy with the results. My gas gauge still takes a mile or two to recognize when it's been filled but now it does show full after a top off rather than showing one bar short.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorn
When you fill up your bike, do you have to drive a coupel of miles before all bars show "full" in the display or do all bars show from the begining?
Is the solution to this problem a calibration of the gas meters?
The easiest way to do the calibration, is this to drive the bike empty, plug in and calibrate and then fill up, plug in and calibrate? Or do I have to take out the tank?
Your fuel gauge is working properly. Don't fix it, it aint broke.

The other issue brought up is addressed by 7.0. The original question is about a delay in showing a "full" tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:44 am

I had the software update done this weekend while I waited and was suprised how long it took. my bike was hooked up for about an hour and a half. the headlight went on and off showing the tech where it was in the update process. I honestly did not notice any power loss as some have posted. I did notice instead of the gear indicator displaying a 0 it now displays a N . I just filled up before arriving at the dealership so I'll have to wait to see if the gauge operates the same.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2006, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg

- R 1200 ST
- K 1200 S
- K 1200 R

But all the bars have never lit up at once and the bike is over a year now and then I read about sw 7.0 and the modification to fuel gauge.
I have now sw 7.0 and all bars have only shown twice after filling, and always after a couple of miles driving. Told my service that and they will try "realod" sw 7.0 and If thats not help they would change the fuelpump. Can that really help?

So now I wonder, is there a need for calibrating the BC to show a more correct value, i e "empty" only when there is no gas left?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode