CO, CO2, O2 and HC values - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:10 am Thread Starter

CO, CO2, O2 and HC values

Did a complete dyno test run on my 06 K12S with 7.0 SW.

(146,6 [email protected] at the rear).

The CO, CO2, O2 and HC values (from the exhaust) was interesting (at least for me).

I just want to share this with you.

CO = 2 - 4% (normal/typical: 5 - 7%) - the purple line
CO2 = 11 - 13% (normal/typical: 10 - 11,5%) - the green line
O2= 1 - 2% (normal/typical: 0,8 - 1,1 %) - the blue line
HC = 20 - 50 ppm (normaltypical 600 - 1200 ppm) - the yellow line

The conclusion is that this bike is running EXTREMELY lean and clean. Normally the HC value (i.e. unburned fuel) should be 600 - 1200 ppm. Lower values will normally make the exhaust too hot. The guy that did the test has never seen such low HC values.

The high O2 values indicate that the engine could burn more fuel (and create more hp). The high CO2 and low CO indicate a very very effective combustion.

This beast could easily create more hp just by adding a little more fuel. This engine is screaming for more fuel ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp gas CO2 and CO.bmp (324.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: bmp gas O2 and HC.bmp (324.7 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:57 am

Cool cat converter?

Is this with a Cat.- stock muffler or slipon or whole new system??
H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratemut
Did a complete dyno test run on my 06 K12S with 7.0 SW.

(146,6 [email protected] at the rear).

The CO, CO2, O2 and HC values (from the exhaust) was interesting (at least for me).

I just want to share this with you.

HC = 20 - 50 ppm (normaltypical 600 - 1200 ppm) - the yellow line

The conclusion is that this bike is running EXTREMELY lean and clean. Normally the HC value (i.e. unburned fuel) should be 600 - 1200 ppm. Lower values will normally make the exhaust too hot. The guy that did the test has never seen such low HC values.

The high O2 values indicate that the engine could burn more fuel (and create more hp). The high CO2 and low CO indicate a very very effective combustion.

This beast could easily create more hp just by adding a little more fuel. This engine is screaming for more fuel ;-)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGP3
Is this with a Cat.- stock muffler or slipon or whole new system??
H
100% stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:40 am
JCW
contributor

This is why I hesitate to throw an aftermarket exhaust and open up the airbox(on my R). With more air coming in and going out, the engine will lean out even more. Too much and that means rapid valve guide wear and burnt exhaust valves.
I'm not the only one that thinks this either. I've heard (second hand, of course) of K12S/R owner requiring a $5000 valve job after simple mods posted here caused the exhaust valves to erode.
I wonder if some driveability problems are actually burnt exhaust valves?
A leak-down test would be a good test for the valves.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
This is why I hesitate to throw an aftermarket exhaust and open up the airbox(on my R). With more air coming in and going out, the engine will lean out even more.
I remember it was you who said a posssible answer would be disconnect the 02 sensor to richen up the mixture. Makes sense to me.

I am still happy to say my 05 S is running most excellent after a combination of 3 mods. Akropovic full system, Evoluzione filters and removal of 02 sensor. I still have 6.0 installed. When new, the bike ran poorly. 6.0 helped somewhat but the pipe, filters and 02 removal seemed to be the cure for mine.

Time will tell.

Last edited by sportrider; Oct 2nd, 2006 at 11:38 am.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
This is why I hesitate to throw an aftermarket exhaust and open up the airbox(on my R). With more air coming in and going out, the engine will lean out even more. Too much and that means rapid valve guide wear and burnt exhaust valves.
I'm not the only one that thinks this either. I've heard (second hand, of course) of K12S/R owner requiring a $5000 valve job after simple mods posted here caused the exhaust valves to erode.
I wonder if some driveability problems are actually burnt exhaust valves?
A leak-down test would be a good test for the valves.
I agree.

An aftermarked chip (powercommander) that could increase the fuel-to-air ratio would be better.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
I've heard (second hand, of course) of K12S/R owner requiring a $5000 valve job after simple mods posted here caused the exhaust valves to erode.
I find it hard to beleive that a pipe and filter would destroy a motor. This is probably the first change made to most bikes and we'd be hearing of a lot more problems.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:22 am
JCW
contributor

Probably won't happen to most people. But someone that's always on the loud pedal, redlining the bike constantly, and a bad tank of gas...
then a bike that is bulletproof may explode. Maybe.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:19 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratemut
...................The CO, CO2, O2 and HC values (from the exhaust) was interesting (at least for me).

HC = 20 - 50 ppm (normaltypical 600 - 1200 ppm) - the yellow line.................
Interesting results but I have to ask, at what point in the exhaust system was the gas analysis taken. I understand that the analysis is highly altered by the catalytic converter so simply testing at a point after the cat is not useful. An overall assessment of emissions and A/F ratios can be made from gas analysis at the header collector and an individual cylinder assessment taken from each exhaust header upstream of the collector. If there is another viable approach to this I'm interested to hear it.

Last edited by Lenz; Oct 1st, 2006 at 7:26 pm.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:30 am

you are correct Lenz.

The job of the cat is to vaporize. any unburned emissions. It is afterall a furnance. Thats why it retains its heat so long. Removing the stock exhaust and adding a air filter system would not ruin the engine IMHO . The heated O2 sensor would make sure the air to fuel mixture would remain in the correct ratio of 14.5 to 1 air to fuel ratio. I don't beleive remapping the fuel mixture would help as it is at its optimum at this setting. changing the exhaust and airfilter system would increase the HP as the faster the air can get in and out of the engine the better. Now everyone knows why there are snorkel air intakes pointing foward in the airstream . At speed they slightly pressurize the airbox increasing the airflow in and out of the engine. The new k1200's are quite a masterpiece of engineering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode