New K1200S pics and impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

New K1200S pics and impressions

Hello,

With the advice of the members here on the forum, I picked up my first BMW motorcycle last Friday. I am glad I got it and I really love it.

I have some observations related to the firmware debate. I think I have 6.0 because the dealer assured me that it has the latest required updates, and that they won't force 7.0 onto it, even though I asked them to. I do hear the noise out of the exhaust that some people are referring to as a backfire, I don't think it is though. It sounds like a "bloop" type noise or maybe a "putt" noise. I can reliably make the bike do it by downshifting to second or first and let the engine slow the bike down to 10 mph or so. To me it doesn't really sound abnormal.

Also, a few times now I have experienced a power fluctuation when accelerating in first from a stop. It happens about 1 second after I start going, and is the only problem that I'm unhappy about on the bike. I'm thinking that it could be related to the fuel I am using, here in San Diego, 91 octane is the highest commonly available. I know that the manual recommends 98, or 95 at the lowest, but I don't know where I can get that here in San Diego. If anyone knows where I can get it I'd appreciate the information.

Otherwise, I am extremely happy with the bike and it's also a chick magnet.

Here are some photos I took this morning.

http://www.err0neous.org/gallery/k1200s/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 3:03 pm
Addict

Thumbs up

Great photos.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:28 pm

Good color choice, congratulations and enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:34 pm

[QUOTE=err0neous]Hello,

Also, a few times now I have experienced a power fluctuation when accelerating in first from a stop. It happens about 1 second after I start going, and is the only problem that I'm unhappy about on the bike. I'm thinking that it could be related to the fuel I am using, here in San Diego, 91 octane is the highest commonly available. I know that the manual recommends 98, or 95 at the lowest, but I don't know where I can get that here in San Diego. If anyone knows where I can get it I'd appreciate the information.

ErrOneous,

In europe, they use a different Octane rating for the fuel as opposed to ours. They use Research Octane, which is higher than the USA's fuel. We (The USA) uses an average of research and method, or R + M. So, from what I understand, Octane ratings of 91 to 93 of R & M are recommened for our bikes in the USA.

We have 93 in Texas, but 91 in higher altitude areas, such as West Texas around Lubbock and also in parts of Oklahoma.

If you look at the fine print listed under the octane number you will see the R + M.

Good Luck and congrats on the bike.

Regards, Michael...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:58 pm

when its time for your 600 mile service complain to the service writer about the driveability issues . ask them to attach the scanner .

I had a problem with cold starts , It took three times starting for the bike to idle when cold . Th bike did set two codes concerning the issue and the dealer performed the software upgrade. The start issue is gone.

I forgot to add there was a recall for the front abs sensor on the silver forked bikes and a wiring reroute that showed up when they checked the vin. I have the black framed bike so the abs sensor did not require replacement
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:04 am

Very hight quality photos. May I ask what equipment did u use? Lens? Film or digital?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkchunglee
Very hight quality photos. May I ask what equipment did u use? Lens? Film or digital?
Thanks, it is a Nikon D50, 50mm 1.4 lens.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2006, 7:18 pm
gwc
Noob

New Ride

Great looking bike .... congrats on your new ride. It just happens to be the same color as mine so I might be a tad biased. Enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode