Definitive Guidance on Using Synthetic Oil? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Definitive Guidance on Using Synthetic Oil?

Is there any? I have 2500 miles on my '05 K1200S and am not sure when I can/should switch to synthetic and which brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:59 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogan
Is there any? I have 2500 miles on my '05 K1200S and am not sure when I can/should switch to synthetic and which brand.
I put synthetic in mine at 1000 miles. You will hear all sorts of answers to this question. If your motor isn't using any oil between changes then its ok to switch. I use the BMW full synthetic.

Pete
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogan
My dealer put Castrol GPS, which is semi-synthetic, on my K12S at the 600 miles service. Now at 4000 miles it haven't used any oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:45 am

The BMW bulletin states 6,000 miles.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
The BMW bulletin states 6,000 miles.
Ah, thanks guys!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:58 pm
Enthusiast

I can hear the guns cocking now... but I gotta say it

www.royalpurple.com

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:30 am

Question Any facts showing "regular" oil better?

I cannot believe there is an actual discussion about the benefits of syn over non-syn in this day of high and higher performance everything.

Non-syn is cheaper, period. That's its only benefit past break-in. How much is your K12S worth?

I've used RedLine (and even Mobil 1) in Honda cars, Ford trucks, BMW cars and now my K12S. In 23 years I have never worn out an engine with routine oil changes (3k-5k miles) 'course everything ELSE wears out, like suspension parts, etc. & I want a new toy now and then. But compression checks have consistantly been within spec at 150k miles and 200k miles.

My M'cycle race instructor changes his non-syn oil every 200 miles! A bit of a fanatic but his very, very, old Dodge van is approaching 300k miles on the original engine... Yeah he is weird... but with syn. (at 5X's the price) he could go 400 miles between changes at least!! Syn stays fully functional longer.

With a syn oil I BELIEVE my K12S can tolerate high temps and max revs longer... Belief makes it so, no?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 4:40 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkalec
I cannot believe there is an actual discussion about the benefits of syn over non-syn in this day of high and higher performance everything.

Non-syn is cheaper, period. That's its only benefit past break-in. How much is your K12S worth?

I've used RedLine (and even Mobil 1) in Honda cars, Ford trucks, BMW cars and now my K12S. In 23 years I have never worn out an engine with routine oil changes (3k-5k miles) 'course everything ELSE wears out, like suspension parts, etc. & I want a new toy now and then. But compression checks have consistantly been within spec at 150k miles and 200k miles.

My M'cycle race instructor changes his non-syn oil every 200 miles! A bit of a fanatic but his very, very, old Dodge van is approaching 300k miles on the original engine... Yeah he is weird... but with syn. (at 5X's the price) he could go 400 miles between changes at least!! Syn stays fully functional longer.

With a syn oil I BELIEVE my K12S can tolerate high temps and max revs longer... Belief makes it so, no?

ppl who dis synthetic oil simply do not have enough info....or they could be an ostritch
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:39 pm

What about the clutch ?
I have a 00 XX and if I used full synth. oil I got clutch slippage when riding HARD. I weigh 250lbs and track the XX. I use dino/synth. and it's a great combo. I'm hard on the bike for riding. Does the K12 have any issues like that?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2006, 8:29 am

Automotive synthetic contains friction modifiers that don't work well with motorcycle(wet) clutches. As long as you use a motorcycle specific synth oil,
there should no issues with the clutch slipping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode