MRA Adjustable Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 5:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

MRA Adjustable Windshield

I promised Pirate I would let him know how well the new windshield works on my S. Pirate, since you've posted to this site recently, I thought I'd post it here for our brethren who may not have seen your site.

I bought the windshield hoping to accomplish two objectives: minimize the turbulence to my pillion rider (my 16 year old son who is 5'9). We had a chance to take a 3,200 mile ride in August, and I was interested in his opinion of the S versus the KGT (my last bike). More than anything else, on that long ride he noticed buffeting to his helmet to a greater degree than the GT. I had the laminar lip on the GT, so that probably made a difference.

The second objective - more of a hope - was that I'd be able to read the display a little easier in the sun since the shield is smoked.

I'm happy to report the windshield scores on both fronts. My son and I went for a ride today, and I didn't say anything to him beforehand because I wanted to see if he noticed a difference without being asked. At the first stop, he volunteered that he's getting no buffeting other than the ocasional cross-wind that you can't do anything about anyway. He said it's a huge improvement. I noticed that the LCD display is easier to read in the sun - slightly. It's not a huge improvement, but it helps.

I think the windshield looks better than the stock, and I now know it performs better too. Highly recommended.

LAR Six
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad
I promised Pirate I would let him know how well the new windshield works on my S.
I bought the windshield hoping to accomplish two objectives: minimize the turbulence to my pillion rider (my 16 year old son who is 5'9).
I curious if you have a backrest with the stock seat for the pillion?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:46 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

No. To the best of my knowledge, the only backrest available for the S is the one Corbin sells with their seats. I've thought about buying the Corbin seat just for the passenger backrest. I've had Corbin seats before, though, and found them to be hard. I'm also wondering if you can move your butt around on it (as in hanging off) because it looks like its' contours might make that difficult.

LAR Six

Last edited by mconrad; Oct 23rd, 2005 at 11:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:34 pm
Rookie

Are you talking about the "Vario" cost about $140? Did you adjust it? If so to what posititon? Could you notice the changes when the adjustments were made? How hard is it to adjust the shield and can it be done one handed while riding?

Click here
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:58 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yes, I'm talking about the Vario. For cryin' out loud, I'm not a friggin engineer. I had it set to the second from the lowest position and didn't move it from there. Over time I may fool with it, but since I was never bothered by turbulence in the first place, it's not been a real priority for me. Maybe on the next long ride I'll take notes, build a spreadsheet, graph it, publish my findings...

By the way, they recommend against trying to adjust it while you're riding. I found it to be difficult to do it one-handed. That's probably a good thing, because if it was too easy to adjust it probably wouldn't hold its' position in the wind.

LAR Six

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode