Residual off-throttle problems on 7.0 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Residual off-throttle problems on 7.0

Although I initially reported that 7.0 solved all fueling issues on my '06 K1200S, further riding shows otherwise. Current mileage: 8630, on 7.0 since 5948 miles.

The episodic, jerky off-throttle behavior still sometimes happens, but is less severe -- I'd estimate about 1/3 to 1/4 as intense.

It's most noticeable in 3rd gear sweepers around 50 mph, when you're gently rolling on/off the throttle. Normally such throttle transitions are very smooth and linear. When the problem happens, gently closing the throttle at first causes a smooth reduction, then power suddently drops to zero.

Problem comes and goes. When it happens, it's consistent for a period, say 1 hr. Shutting down the bike for 5 min always makes it go away, sometimes for 10-15 min, sometimes longer. Sometimes if I continue riding, it goes away by itself.

It's just like the 6.0 behavior, except less severe. 6.0 (on my bike) was borderline dangerous, the behavior on 7.0 is somewhat irritating but I can ride around it.

Problem happens with both stock intake/exhaust, full Akropovic exhaust & EVO intake, with and without O2 sensor connected. Have done TPS and ECU resets multiple times.

The fact it got better with 7.0 implies a non-physical cause: fuel injection software, not sticking throttle mechanism.

According to this thread, 7.0 incorporated sequential shutdown of injectors when closing throttle: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7168.

Has anyone else who had significant closing throttle problems on 6.0, and who upgraded to 7.0, experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:25 am

It's definately better than 6.0 , but getting smooth on/off throttle transitions are still a bit tricky with 7.0. I've solved mine though - bought a CBR1K and just use the S for highway superslab riding.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:56 am

Unhappy How sad..

...When do you think BMW Motorrad will be contacting the owners of 2006 K1200Ss about 7.01X or whatever they are working on as part of a "recall"? It would seem that a company of their "ultimate driving machine" reputation/credo will do something PROACTIVE on these issues. Agree?

Chuck V ('06 K1200S, granite grey, the FAST color.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV
...When do you think BMW Motorrad will be contacting the owners of 2006 K1200Ss about 7.01X or whatever they are working on as part of a "recall"? It would seem that a company of their "ultimate driving machine" reputation/credo will do something PROACTIVE on these issues...
While it seems that way, Motorrad's current policy on the 7.x update is it's not mandatory, thus not a "push"-type recall. It's only done if customers specifically request it.

They may view 7.x as an interim fix, and could be awaiting more data before issuing a more final fix. Maybe then they'll do a recall. This is a common procedure in various industries, from software to airplanes to automobiles. Just speculating.

However the experience with 6.0 illustrates the danger of prematurely doing a recall. Imagine if all KS and KR bikes had been recalled for a mandatory 6.0 update. It would be quite costly, didn't fix the problem in all cases, and could have inconvenienced many owners who weren't having problems.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:54 pm

Too bad it's not designed like a powercommander - download the latest version from the BMW website, plug the laptop into your bike and wholla!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:15 am

Hi to all, I should say this is my first post and I'm getting straight to the point (almost) !

I've been lurking for over a year on this forum reading all of your posts with great anticipation.

Unfortunately, there seems to be one major negative, and its made me balk at purchasing - constant posts of problems with what seems to be the engine management software throughout the history of the bike.

To be honest, being from the outside not owning the bike and reading every post, its like tossing a coin whether luck is on your side.

Without meaning too offend is the community being overly zeaolous ? (I can understand this given the purchase price.)

I've tried to be objective ( I know, sometimes thats pointless), its a great bike except...there have been so many posts I've read over a long period about this subject.

Regards to all

Richard

PS. My background - 41 yrs old. By no means a 'gun" rider (no pun intended) just love that feeling. I've ridden dirt bikes, Kwakka Z500's & 1000's, GX1100's, 650 Dakar (the latest toy) and I've dreamt about the K1200S for a long time as I continue to 'mature'.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:57 am

turn off throttle and revs stay high

have the 7. whatever the last one was. Just did 375 NH today and IT IS DANGEROUS=not the roads, THE BIKE going in for repair-1st issue 12,000=fine shape as the rain washed the roads=little salt or sand,did slide front end a few times.This Hossack front end is increadable. The bike mags almost dismiss it but as one puts miles on and learn to feel the feed back, sutble yet there and very readable. And the front end is so stiff, totlay different from sliding tubes, you can "push" the front, and toss this bike around like a big dirt bike almost. FUN

Last edited by Ridefaster; Nov 2nd, 2006 at 6:04 am.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:06 am

pic not working

?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8715.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	3812  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:09 am

pics

only can load one at a time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8719.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	3813  

Last edited by Ridefaster; Nov 2nd, 2006 at 6:13 am. Reason: pics
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:16 am

pics

one at a time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode