Front end "loose noise" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Front end "loose noise"

All,
My 05KS will be going to the shop here shortly but I wanted to throw this one out to the crowd for ideas: While going over a rough patch of road, there is a metal on plastic rattling coming from the front end. I have checked everything to make sure it's tight and can't seem to find anything that is loose. Has anyone else experienced this or have ideas?
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:43 pm
Just saying hey

I have heard this on and off as well but no idea what it is. Keep us posted.

Travis Schultz
Chandler, AZ
05 BMW K1200S (Blue)
05 GasGas 300 DE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 3:19 pm

I noticed a similar problem. Eventually found that the black plastic "things" on the side of the fairing, to which the BMW logo's are fitted, were the cause. They way they are located/fitted is poorly designed in my opinion. The "things" can be tightened but will probably require that you remove the fairings first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:14 pm

mystery rattle

I've been hearing the same rattle from the front for some time now too, especially when I'm not wearing earplugs or a helmet on a driveway etc. The rattly badges could be it - I'll try taping 'em down and going for a spin. But forget tightening them from the back - no user serviceable parts in there either.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:45 pm

I had the same problem, and traced it down to my spare house key I have on the bike key ring. If you have any spare keys on the bike key ring, maby check there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Other keys on the keyring? No way - I wouldn't dare scratch up the emblem. The bike is at Lonestar in Austin - I'll post what they find!

Rob
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2006, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Unduplicable noise

All,
Dealership somehow was unable to duplicate the noise, which I heard immediately after leaving the dealer. I'm going to wire tie up my center stand, and put a piece of padding in the side stand stop to see if that may be it but I swear it's coming from the front end.

Also - the dealer said my center stand is bent???! It looks exactly the way it was when I got it, slightly swept back design. Can anyone take pictures of theirs so I can see if the two main support bars are slightly swept back?

Thanks -
Rob
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Noise killed

All,
The noise WAS the front badges. I pulled the fairings off and it's a 9 mm bolt that you tighten to remove slack from the badges. I can NOT believe that the dealer screwed me on this, not a huge deal, but if they can't be trusted to duplicate and fix such a minor deal. Unreal...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2006, 8:09 am

Rob,

As the saying goes, if you want it done properly,...................................

or

If your not where the action is happening, its not happening..

Marty from Oz.
This is a bloody big Island
04 KRS Capri Blue ( the fastest colour )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode