2006 K 1200 S - your opinion / advise requested - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

2006 K 1200 S - your opinion / advise requested

Hi everyone !

First time posting here and I'd like to have an unbiased opinion (if this is possible. . lol).

Just came back from a BMW Dealership here in Montreal and was sitting again on the K 1200 S which was in the showroom.
Black / yellow on top of it

The salesman tells me he still has 3 2006 Models in stock and they sell it with a substantial discount. Got also Alarm on it , Heated Grips and the electronic suspension adjustment.
This bike would be around US $ 4500 less than a 2007 model.
3 year warranty and 3 year road assistance included.

I never rode this beautiful machine , but the seating position / ergonomics seem to fit me like a glove.

About 2 years ago I know they had some sort of engine troubles I believe - any other issues as well ?

I love doing long distance rides ( just did 7500 miles in 18 days on one of my FZ1's) riding across the USA - 400 miles / day rides are nothing unusual.

Looking for reliability / comfort and performance ( which I know this beauty has plenty of )

I presently own 3 bikes - 2 Yamahas FZ1 (2003 models) and one Yamaha MT-01. Also used to have a Yamaha FJR 1300 - sold it since it overlaped too much with the FZ1 but the seating position seems to be similar to the K 1200 S.

I'd like to know what you think - the 2006 models are not really different from the 2007 to my knowledge (except colors).
The $ savings seem substantial and on top of it I like the yellow/black.

Another thing I am not sure about are maintainance costs. On my japs I change the oil myself and that is pretty much it. Never had any quality issues with any of them ( 28 K miles on one FZ1 , 20 K on the other one and 3.2 k on the MT-01).
Apparently on the K 1200 S you need to have it serviced only every 6000 miles at a cost of around $ 250 or so. (which isn't bad at all)

Thanks in advance

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:58 pm

Actually the K1200S only requires service every 12,000 miles, with the exceptions of the 600 mi break in service and one at 6,000 miles.

The biggest difference between the '06 and '07 is the color and a new non-servo brake system. Personally I think the servo system is fine -- just tremendous stopping power and the ABS is very non-intrusive and effective.

I formerly had a Honda ST1300, sort of competitor to the FJR1300. It was a fine bike, but the K1200S is simply in another league regarding power and handling. Despite that, it gives up little in comfort -- for my 48-yr-old body, anyway. I've done 400 mile days and were no more tired than the same distance on my ST1300.

There have been several fuel injection issues, most of which are fixed by the latest 7.0 software version, which the dealers can install. Most owners who have updated agree it's important to have.

A few owners have had transmission problems (inc'l me), fixed under warranty.

The transmission in gears 1-3 is somewhat clunky-shifting; this is expected. You generally get used to it. Shifting at higher rpm and pre-loading the shifter makes it better.

ABS and the ESA suspension are really great. I wouldn't have gotten ESA were it not bundled on my bike, but now I'm glad I did.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:06 pm

well Peter I have had my 2006 KS for about a month and a half. I placed an order for it without a test ride due to no demos in my area. I too have only owned jap bikes because at one time I worked for a suzuki dealership. I come from a mechanical background which allows me to admire the bells and whistles that the KS provides. So far I am very impressed with the KS in the 1500 miles I have put on her so far . The esa for me makes the bike worth the price . I originally was looking at a suzuki but thought after seeing one in person(1300) it was ugly. There is not a problem changing the oil yourself. I think you would be as happy as I am if you purchase one . Mine is configured the same except for the alarm. I had only 3 complaints after my purchase. The run issue was fixed with the software upgrade at 600 miles . I put helibars on her as I am use to sitting a bit higher and I recently purchased a MRA racing screen because its over two inches higher than stock to make the bugs hit my helmet higher than eye level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:53 am

Peter,

I think the only difference in an 06 and 07 is the colors. If you can get a 06 for $4500. less, go for it.
I have had my 06 for one year now and just had my 6000 service. It cost me $121.
If you need a valve adjustment at the 12000 mile service, it should run you about $400.
The only problem I have had is the throttle problem a few times. When I have been cruising and shut down the throttle, it took a second to quit revving and then when accelerating it feels like I am speed shifting. Each time I just shut it down for a minute, restarted and everything was fine.
You will have more issues than your Jap bikes, but, so far I think it is worth it.

Greg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring
...The only problem I have had is the throttle problem a few times. When I have been cruising and shut down the throttle, it took a second to quit revving and then when accelerating it feels like I am speed shifting. Each time I just shut it down for a minute, restarted and everything was fine....
From the below thread, this sounds like a known throttle run-on condition that happens on some bikes with 7.0, which allegedly was fixed with a 7.0.1 update:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7168
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 8:28 am
Addict

I too have about 45k on a couple of FZ1's I"ve owned, currently selling the one I have (#3) so I can relate to your situation.

I recently bought an S, 2006, have about 700 miles on it so I don't have a lot of time in the saddle yet. However, even if I'm old, the fwd sitting position tends to be easier on my neck than the LT I own (02, 80k miles) for some reason.

I can't say enuff about the S, I just love the bike all the way around. If your comfy on the Z's with all those miles under you, the S won't be a problem. The Z is still a great bike and easy to work on, making me wonder at times if being a 3 bike owner isn't such a bad thing.

I can't believe the discount your looking at though, thats really good.

I didn't get ESA on the bike because it didn't have it. I suspect it is well worth the money, I'm having to adjust my rear shock a bit to get the bike to handle right. Not a big deal but I'd have taken the ESA if it was on the bike when I bought it.

My gas gage bit the dust before I got the 2nd tankfull of gas in (shows empty all the time), so far, thats the only issue I have to deal with/get fixed. I think they've had some problems with the sending unit in the tank, dealer said mine was the 2nd one he's seen.

good luck...geo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:35 pm
Addict

Have no issues picking up an '06. I have an '05 with the same accessories. Really like the ESA... it is a revelation to adjust the suspension on the fly.

Would have no hesitation picking up an '05 again either. Have had no fueling issues or anything else to whine about. I don't have the latest version of the ECU software, and not into the release mania some here are really absorbed with.

I have some nice horses in the barn to compare the KS to. It is outstanding... the next generation sporting ride imo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode