There a way to tell what version s/w I have? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2006, 1:04 am Thread Starter

There a way to tell what version s/w I have?

Just got the new K12 and just curious is all...
Will do a big write up about the bike in a day or 2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2006, 9:17 am

We used to think if the LCD gear indicator said 0 (zero), that meant version 5.x or earlier, and if it said "N", that meant 6.0 or later. However it appears that's not a reliable method.

The only reliable way to verify the version is hooking up the service department's GT1 programmer to your bike and inspecting it.

If your bike is totally new, it will require a 600 mi. "break in" service, you could probably wait until then. If it won't soon require service for tires or other anything else, you'd need to make a service appointment for the software check/download.

Although the official service interval (after 6,000 mi) is every 12,000 mi, I usually need new tires about every 3,000 mi. That's a good time for software updates, unless you have a significant problem.

For unknown reasons, some bikes on the same software behave differently. It's not just an owner sensitivity thing. If you're bothered by jerky, snatchy throttle, consider taking it in sooner for a software update. If you're OK with it, wait until the next service (tires or engine).

Remember when automotive oil changes were frequent and tires lasted long? Our bikes are the opposite We need the equivalent of a tire service station -- "change the tires and check the oil, please".
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXFirefighter
Just got the new K12 and just curious is all...
Will do a big write up about the bike in a day or 2...
Call your local dealer with your VIN and he'll tell you. I also have a Dos Equis. I'm curious as to how you are going to put it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode