K1200s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:06 am Thread Starter

K1200s

I have the oportunity to buy a new (2006 K12s with everthing ) from a dealer, $2500 off list, I go thru a lot of bikes, would you get the Bumble Bee or a Silver color, from a resale point of view. I have a K1200LT , Harley, FJR1300 , have had K1200RS K1200GS KTM 990 on order. I have been putting off buying the S, but I think I am ready now. How do most of you like the bike. Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:37 am

Luv it when it works right

nothing else out there like it=problems?=mine is getting a new tranny=12,000 miles had the 7 upgrade program installed=that worked then didn't=disconnected battery and re did and it worked for 2 rides then the second gear skip. and I waited for the 3rd year model so the bugs were straigned out=not! It's at Max's for tranny and I'm heading to the K12 rally in the Keys month of DEC=fish and dive rally on me. I have boats and gear lined up.I can be reached thru Atlantis Dive center Key Largo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chris-tuna.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	4105   Click image for larger version

Name:	shark2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	4106   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMP6.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMP18.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	4108  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Well as you can see I just got mine... look a few posts down... I am on my 2nd tank of gas and love it. I am still getting used to the tranny. Not as smooth as the XX's. Umm It's fast as hell. Want to get the XX and the K side by side. Take em for a balls out run. I think the K will have it beat a little. I need to get some after market air filters in it so the engine can breathe a little better. Gas mileage is in the high 30's-low 40's for me. The on the fly comfort settings are so cool,can really tell the diff. between Comfort/Normal/Sport. Other then the clunky tranny that I'm not used to yet, I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 7:18 pm
Veteran

Hmm.. You are asking US what color you should buy??? You're kidding, right? That's like saying... What kind of woman should I choose... Blond or Brunette?

Which stirs your soul?

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

K12s

I guess you are wright about the color, but some colors after a year or so are not as popular, especially when you sell it. Also what is wrong with the transmission.and is the 7 up grade already done on the new bikes. Has any one changed the exhaust and header. Chuck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2006, 9:54 pm
Enthusiast

"What kind of woman should I choose... Blond or Brunette"

Great time shopping, with all the test rides and all, but if your not careful you'll find the payments are hell if you end up with more than one.

Heck I won't even get into the maintenance .

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 1:07 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogduck
I guess you are wright about the color, but some colors after a year or so are not as popular, especially when you sell it. Also what is wrong with the transmission.and is the 7 up grade already done on the new bikes. Has any one changed the exhaust and header. Chuck
I have an '05. Rode for over a year with a fine Laser slip-on exhaust. Last month replaced it with a full Akrapovic system and race filters.

The tranny is a little clunky but I have no real issues with it. To be sure, there are clunky BMW transmissions on other models. I rented an R1200RT last year in Belgium and thought the tranny was doing to detonate on me while riding through Normandy. It didn't, and it works. A way to manage the clunkiness... and mostly it is gears #1 and #2... is to have the RPMs a bit higher. If you want.

I don't have the 7.0 software and have no need or issues to seek it. Wouldn't worry about it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefaster
nothing else out there like it=problems?=mine is getting a new tranny=12,000 miles had the 7 upgrade program installed=that worked then didn't=disconnected battery and re did and it worked for 2 rides then the second gear skip. and I waited for the 3rd year model so the bugs were straigned out=not! It's at Max's for tranny and I'm heading to the K12 rally in the Keys month of DEC=fish and dive rally on me. I have boats and gear lined up.I can be reached thru Atlantis Dive center Key Largo.

Pleast don't type like this. :wtf
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:46 pm
gwc
Noob

I have the 06 model ... 5000 miles .... no problems. The transmission is somewhat clunky between 1st. and 2nd. Keeping the revs up when shifting will help to smooth things out.

To date, I have not done the 7.0 upgrade as I have not experienced any major issues with the existing software. Granted the " S " is a little jerky during city riding but again, keeping the revs up helps.

The bike is enjoyable to ride. It is smooth, fast and well balanced. I came off of a K1200 RS and appreciate the lighter " S ".

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode