Throttle/Fuel Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Throttle/Fuel Problems

Hi Newbie here,

I seem to have a problem with either the throttle or fuelling of my K1200s. It is an `05 model which has done 10,000kms (6000 mls).

The challenge i seem to have at the minute is that when i come off the throttle after riding in the upper rpm range, the bike undergoes normal engine braking till about 2-3000rpm, then it kinda gets "hung Up" and stays at 2000rpm.The fix is to turn it off and then re-start has anyone else had this gremlin, and if so what was the fix?
I have just had the 10k service, and now the bike will not start in any gear even with the clutch pulled in (side stand up or down) but I dont think the two would be related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2006, 4:09 pm
Bry
Enthusiast

Can't say I've ever seen the "hangup" issue you've described, but occasionally when I go to start the bike in gear with sidestand down (and clutch in), it won't happen until you put in neutral and lift stand.. no biggie..

Bry
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry
Can't say I've ever seen the "hangup" issue you've described, but occasionally when I go to start the bike in gear with sidestand down (and clutch in), it won't happen until you put in neutral and lift stand.. no biggie..

Bry
You`re right, it`s no biggie, But i`m thinking if i`m in traffic at lights, and I stall the bike, I just want to pull the clutch and hit the magic button rather than fumble around getting it into Neutral etc. I didnt have this before the service, maybe I got the upgraded flashy thing (Ver 7.0 ) and its the norm now?........I dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 8:11 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside
You`re right, it`s no biggie, But i`m thinking if i`m in traffic at lights, and I stall the bike, I just want to pull the clutch and hit the magic button rather than fumble around getting it into Neutral etc. I didnt have this before the service, maybe I got the upgraded flashy thing (Ver 7.0 ) and its the norm now?........I dont know.
Bry and Broadside, I had the same issue on my K1200S and I suggest you consult the manual on starting procedures. It specifically states, that the following sequence:
Side stand up, pull clutch, start... I HAD the habit of pulling the clutch before I do anything. Retract the side stand first the pull. I know it sounds "nuts" but when I used that method, all my starting issues WHILE IN GEAR went away. Good luck!

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2006, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

The "Hang up" issue i had was a result of an air leak/or more to the point it was sucking in air. This meant it was running lean,and It would also cause the engine to stall after a spirited run, and for the revs to be higher than usual.A new clutch swith fixed the starting in gear deal. But Beemer your proceedure is correct
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2006, 11:32 pm
JCW
contributor

I wonder if it was one of the four hoses from the idle valve that was left unconnected. I can't see where any air would get past the throttle plates elsewhere. Pretty easy to do, but something that shouldn't have been missed (and probably left unconnected from a previous service).
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2006, 11:25 am
Enthusiast

there was a recall on the early '05 bikes that involved similar symptoms. the recall involved replacing the throttle bodies - check with your dealer (he can check your v.i.n. to see if it is part of the program).

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:14 am

Ken is probably the most correct here (as usual). I was also told by my dealer that there is a "clinking" sound at idle that is a symptom of this fuel bar issue as well. Like Ken said, have your dealer check it out. Even if you are not on the "llist", it's still a warranty replaceable issue.
Good Luck!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2006, 9:04 am

I have a new fueling problem. My bike is idling a little low when cold (1000rpm). It runs perfect until it warms up. Will not idle when I come to a stop.
Anything I can do without taking it to the dealer?

Greg
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Fuel/Throttle problems

Broadside,

I am having similar problems only with my bike the throttle is sticking open when it is warm but not when it is cold. It manifests itself when I rev the engine and the engine stays at the highest RPM resulting from the throttle advance for about 1 to 3 seconds. This is dangerous, especially when down shifting entering a corner as the bike is staying at the same speed after the down shift. I have the bike in for servicing right now and I am also having a problem with second gear under hard acceleration either popping out of gear or slipping. Second gear has also become very notchy going to neutral or to first. I have read some posts on various boards about transmissions grenading so I hope that this is not the case. I do not ride the bike very aggressively and mostly commute on it so we will see what comes of this. I am hoping that the latest software update will fix the problem or that is something simple like a lose hose, ect.

Cheers!

Todd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode