Passenger comfort - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Passenger comfort

Still trying to figure which bike I want.......K12S, K12GT, or R12RT. One of the factors I should consider is passenger comfort. The latter two bikes seem to offer good partection from the elements for the passenger. How does the K12S rate? Being a sportbike, one usually doesn't concern one's self too much with a passenger. But if it happens to offer good comfort then maybe that just might swing me to the K12S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Addict

Passenger comfort was a concern of mine as well, that is why I almost bought a Buell XB9, I figured if it was so uncomfortable, she would not want to ride on the back, learn to ride and get her own bike. Then I’d have a riding partner that I could have some ‘fun’ with She now has room on the back of my KR, not the most plush back, but she tags along for the ride…darn it
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 3:45 pm
Noob

Pax comfort on the S

I've had my S for almost a year now and my wife who has been riding the pillion for 43 years and rides with me 99% of the time says it's fine.

The one thing she has mentioned more than once is the fact that this machine requires more attentiveness. Additionally, she finds herself having to hold on with more than just her knees as on past machines.

But she loves the rush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2006, 5:24 pm
Enthusiast

My wife didn't love the rush... when she dang near fell off.

We rode our two bikes to the shop, dropped hers and rode two-up to get home.

I was maneuvering through traffic and accidentally gunned it a little too much.

The next thing I know, I'm seeing boots fly up around my waist. Fortunately we did not end up testing out her leathers and Arai :-)

Seriously, if she were to pillion on a regular basis I'd have to put on a backrest.

I'm blessed with a wife who loves speed but also love to ride her own.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:09 am

Nope, mine said Nope

Hiya,
Seriously wanted an S, watched all the media pre release, had myself sold even before I saw one in the flesh, blah blah blah.
Finally one available in oz to test ride. We had a 93K1100RS at the time.
My cook didnt like the S at all. It was probably my riding, cause I was there to enjoy the test as well, but she didn't like it. (she is a seasoned traveller, always pillion)
The story for me is
"Wife happy, Life happy", so we continued to look and eventually brought a 12mth old 04K1200RS, she loves it and so do I...

Nothing against the S here, cause I loved it, though I had some concerns as to how I was going to fund the speeding fines

Good luck

Marty from Oz.
This is a bloody big Island
04 KRS Capri Blue ( the fastest colour )
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2006, 7:23 am
Enthusiast

My wife like my current '03 GT more than any other bike I've had. I recently took her to the local shop and we looked at the 'S'. Well, I looked at it. I believe her comment was "No way in hell am I riding on that thing". Too much forward lean for her I guess. Anyway, we also rode an R1200RT while in San Francisco and she loved it. The seat was good for her but sucked for me (just like every other BMW seat). With either a Stealth backrest or the top case my wife would have been in heaven.

'03 K1200GT

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie
Passenger comfort was a concern of mine as well, that is why I almost bought a Buell XB9, I figured if it was so uncomfortable, she would not want to ride on the back, learn to ride and get her own bike. Then I’d have a riding partner that I could have some ‘fun’ with She now has room on the back of my KR, not the most plush back, but she tags along for the ride…darn it
That's exactly what I hoped would happen when I traded my K1200RS for an Aprilia RSV1000R Factory!!!

Of course it didn't! It just meant my wife didn't ride with me anymore!

Now I have a K1200S which she has ridden but we need a peg lowering kit next season as her legs are still a little cramped (she's 171 cm tall - about 5 ft 7ins). She loved the K1200RS and still hasn't forgiven me!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2006, 5:24 pm
Rookie

I equipped my S with this setup so it can go on and off in minutes. Have not taken an all day yet with the wife yet but I am sure it will not be as comfy for her as the RT was.
https://home.comcast.net/~advgoss/MotoPhotos/Side.jpg

2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 4:11 pm
Veteran

Shaka.. When the Walls Fell

My wife hated the ergos of the S from day one.. we tried everything.. peg lowering kits in different lengths... a criminally expensive Corbin seat .. both the stock and lower factory seat. Nothing worked.. We gave up and she's never gonna ride on the S again. I've already removed BOTH rear peg carriers for a 100% solo bike..

We're looking for an alternative two-up only bike as we speak... In this respect.. the S falls short of the old RS or GT..

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
My wife hated the ergos of the S from day one.. we tried everything.. peg lowering kits in different lengths... a criminally expensive Corbin seat .. both the stock and lower factory seat. Nothing worked.. We gave up and she's never gonna ride on the S again. I've already removed BOTH rear peg carriers for a 100% solo bike..

We're looking for an alternative two-up only bike as we speak... In this respect.. the S falls short of the old RS or GT..
The old RS was in many ways the perfect two up sports-touring bike! If only it had been a little lighter and a had little quicker steering!

I think the new K1200GT is really the replacement for the K1200RS and as such is the one that comparisons should be made with. The new K1200S is a new bike which is much more sports-focused. Hopefully it is comfortable enough so that most of our spouses will be willing to ride along but not so plush as to lose the sports focus.

If I had limitless funds and could afford two bikes I would be tempted to buy a GT and an R, or maybe a GT and a new R1200S!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode