Of Flying Bricks and Slant Fours.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Of Flying Bricks and Slant Fours....

.....I've made a unilateral decision, that I hasten to add, affects only me. Remembering that long thread on looking for an appropriate nick-name several weeks ago, the one suggested, I believe, by Kasperwing seems to have stuck with me.

In many posts and even at monthly BMW motorcycle meetings, I've tended use the term "Slant Four" when discussing the "S" based motorcycles; just as folks tend to use the term "flying brick" or "the brick" when discussing the previous "K" series bikes

It seems to have become kind of natural for me and most people seem to know what I'm talking about (which can be an unusual thing itself); so for me, it's Slant-Four.

Say, speaking of Kasperwing, does anybody have a line on him? Wonder if he made the transition from the old to the new board?

Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 9:07 pm

Miles,

FYI, Kasperwing has not signed on since Oct 8th (back on the old i-bmw.com).

So, no, it does not appear that he has made the switch, unless he used another email to obtain another unsername!

Randy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Randy,

Thanks for the info; fired off an e-mail to David (aka Kasperwing) to see if he wants to join-in here.

Man, that took me awhile, but I found an e-mail address listed for him on the old archives. Typical of him it reads "[email protected]". We'll se if it's real.

Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:47 pm

Here's the thread:
http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...=&view=&sb=&o=

If you call it a Slant-Four, and they pump it up to 1300, what will distinguish it from the 1200, or the R?

Last edited by RSKape; Oct 26th, 2005 at 4:44 pm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Well, not really sure taking it up to 1300 would affect the "slant-four" name; unless a majority wanted to call it something like "Lucky 13". <g>

That's based on the "Brick" which went from 1000 to 1100 to 1200.

Miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
.....In many posts and even at monthly BMW motorcycle meetings, I've tended use the term "Slant Four" when discussing the "S" based motorcycles; just as folks tend to use the term "flying brick" or "the brick" when discussing the previous "K" series bikes.
It seems to have become kind of natural for me and most people seem to know what I'm talking about (which can be an unusual thing itself); so for me, it's Slant-Four.
Miles
JMHO but I got say, "Slant Four" doesn't have much appeal to me. I think it's the word "slant" that throws me off. It just sounds lame.
The current BMW motors seem to have nick-names that hit home and sound cool. i.e.: "AirHead", "OilHead", "HexHead", "Thumper", "Flying Brick"
If you had your choice, what nick-name would you like to see assigned to the K1200S/R engine and the new 800cc?
Hummmm?
For the new K1200 motor I think the name should sound cool and reflect what the engine is, a powerful 55 degree inline, four cylinder, K motor. With that in mind I offer these ideas:

"Four55"
"455"
"Inline55"
"Power55"
"K55"

I'm not sure what to call the new 800cc. "Thumper2". "InlineTwin", ???

I'm sure there are more and maybe better ideas out there. Maybe if we got a good list together, it would be fun to do an online poll here. Again, JMO
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:36 pm
Enthusiast

Keep it simple - just "BM KS" is a unique tag that is simple and relevant. This seems to be a fairly commonly used name in conversation. Works for me any way.

Cheers
Lenz
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Hmmm; maybe should have left well enough alone and not dragged out the "naming thread" again.

Those other names - flying brick; oil head, etc. - really just seemed to naturally evolve; no one that comes to mind actually named these series of motorcycles; maybe the same will happen here.

No more "Slant" anytning for me; and yeah, when writing about the K-S or K-R or both I will just use those ways of defining the bikes.

You know, I'm on the "next-generation" KGT forum alot; and guess I was just anticipating the arrival of that bike - which might be months from - and trying to find a short cut way of referring to it w/o confusing it with the "present" generation of GT's using a kind of short-hand for all the new generation "K"'s. Once again, lots of people thought the new sport-tourer would be called the "K-RT", but apparently it will be "GT" again.

And don't you all think that if BMW had decided to call the new four cylinder bikes by any letter besides "K", it would have been easier to distinguish one generation from the other?

Miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode